Help please!! Thinking of adopting

CalzTraineeVN

Hi everyone. It been thinking about getting a horsefield tortoise for many years and have enjoyed learning about them... I was thinking of adopting one but a little unsure due to the owners being polish and unable to give me as much info as I would like (thinking of visiting to have a look properly but still can't get detailed info) they say it's a female and young. about 6cm ? Bought from Poland. Looks like a good clean set up of tortoise table with uv&heat lamps. (Although looks like it may have some kind of shavings used on the floor) The veggies, dandelions ect that they feed sound correct also she gets time in the garden on nice days. They said she is very active and eats everyday.

I was wondering about the shell and if it looks healthy or not??. as iv only ever seen horsefields that have much darker shells. If I go for a visit I'm not sure exactly what to look for on shell? Look forward to getting some advice x

Attachments

• 1439052528089.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 21

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
Hello, welcome to the forum. You want the tortoise to feel heavy like a rock, not light. Think about how heavy a rock would be if it was the same size as the tortoise. You want the eyes to be bright and not sunken in. No discharge from the eyes or nose. You want to see an active tortoise that is eating well. Ask how it has been kept. Was there adequate humidity? Do they soak their tortoises?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
That is not a horsfieldii. Looks like Testudo gracea.