Adopting

Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
Looks like Stephanie talked you out of a hatchling huh? This guy is really pretty, but remember now that he's going to need a lot more room than a hatchling. They are the greatest escape artists in the reptile world. I have see one climbing a chain link fence by using a corner, one foot on one fence and the other foot on the other. It sounds confusing but I just don't tell a good story...Anyhow, they escape frequently, so your Dad must make an escape proof, predator safe, warm place outside. Russians do better outside and they do hibernate, but you don't have to hibernate him, I don't hibernate any of my animals.. How are you planning on setting him up once you get him?
See above. Sorry forgot to tag you.

M

Maggie Cummings

Hi! So I plan on making an outdoor enclosure. Probably 6 ft by 4 ft. I'm still deciding but it's going to have a wooden frame I believe and it's going to have a roof that has a wire top just so my dogs can't get in and it will fold over the frame and lock. I'll post a pic once it's made. And then the indoor will be similar but smaller. I'll post pics for everything and I'm open to suggestions. I think this will he a good experience and I'm super excited:)
I am glad for you, it's a whole new adventure...

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Looks good, hope dad says yes. To help convince him let h know that Russians make great 1st tortoises as they are very hardy

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
0.0.1 Cherryhead Redfoot (Bruce Wayne)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

Colorado
Looks good, hope dad says yes. To help convince him let h know that Russians make great 1st tortoises as they are very hardy

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
0.0.1 Cherryhead Redfoot (Bruce Wayne)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)
Ok I think I have him convinced but still keeping my fingers crossed!!

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Sierra Vista, AZ
That's awesome!! I think you and your dad will have so much fun planning and building the enclosure, long with the continued care of your tortoise. It will make so many lovely memories for the both of you!

RainsOn

5 Year Member
NE OK
It is very exciting. I am excited for you. I only have one Russian. Got him just a couple months ago and I am in love. They have great personality. Some will disagree with me but I think mine and I relate on a certain level. I remember how excited I was to finally get one. I am old enough to be your grandmother and have wanted one since I was a kid. I'm finding out the research is endless and the care fairly easy once you have your set up, but constant. Think ahead about vacations, going off to college and even getting married. These guys out live us.
Does your dad know that you have lots of support on this web site?
He looks good to me and I hope you get him because you seem to really care.

Colorado
It is very exciting. I am excited for you. I only have one Russian. Got him just a couple months ago and I am in love. They have great personality. Some will disagree with me but I think mine and I relate on a certain level. I remember how excited I was to finally get one. I am old enough to be your grandmother and have wanted one since I was a kid. I'm finding out the research is endless and the care fairly easy once you have your set up, but constant. Think ahead about vacations, going off to college and even getting married. These guys out live us.
Does your dad know that you have lots of support on this web site?
He looks good to me and I hope you get him because you seem to really care.
Thanks so much! I do care and would love a little guy. We don't travel that often and when we do we have a house sitter always. I understand that they outlive us but I think I can figure out ways to keep him healthy and alive:) thanks again!

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Good news your dad sounds enthusiastic! My parents were kinda mad I got my Russian, I was 19 living at home really depressed, said i wanted a tortoise got told "we'll think about it" ... then I just left the house one day telling them I was going to get him and they didn't believe me. They were not happy at first! But they all love him now! When mum vacuums near his enclosure he'll stick his head out and stare at her and that greatly amuses her. And in the late spring when its warming up and he no longer needs the night light my dad will put it on in the mornings because "he looked cold"... after 2 years he still doesnt get I make sure the temps agree before stopping! And I've caught him talking to Nank lol its cute.
Having parents support is always good. And that way in my case if the money I have saved for emergency isn't enough if he needs help, then I know I have them to go to because they know hes not "just another turtle" but my "shell-baby tortoise"

Colorado
Good news your dad sounds enthusiastic! My parents were kinda mad I got my Russian, I was 19 living at home really depressed, said i wanted a tortoise got told "we'll think about it" ... then I just left the house one day telling them I was going to get him and they didn't believe me. They were not happy at first! But they all love him now! When mum vacuums near his enclosure he'll stick his head out and stare at her and that greatly amuses her. And in the late spring when its warming up and he no longer needs the night light my dad will put it on in the mornings because "he looked cold"... after 2 years he still doesnt get I make sure the temps agree before stopping! And I've caught him talking to Nank lol its cute.
Having parents support is always good. And that way in my case if the money I have saved for emergency isn't enough if he needs help, then I know I have them to go to because they know hes not "just another turtle" but my "shell-baby tortoise"
Lol! Rebellious eh? Haha! Now, that's so cute. My dad will never really love him as he is honestly not an animal person at all. And yet he married my mom who loves animals!!! lol but that's alright as long as I get to have him.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Lol! Rebellious eh? Haha! Now, that's so cute. My dad will never really love him as he is honestly not an animal person at all. And yet he married my mom who loves animals!!! lol but that's alright as long as I get to have him.
Yeah I have a bit of a rebellious streak sometimes... but it only came out after 18 Lol. My parents don't touch Franklin, dad would if he had to, he has a little farm so animals are fine with him but mum won't consider touching him because he's not fluffy and the scaley and reptile thing freak her out.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
I think I'm getting him!!! My dad said he'd help me build an enclosure!!
Yay! When are you picking him up? Just an idea, so you can go get him right away. You can house him in an extra-large plastic totes. That's what I had my guys in, until I got their enclosures done.

May, Aussies, & Hermannis
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

RainsOn

5 Year Member
NE OK
This thread is so much fun to read. I think it is because of all the correspondence back and forth with this young lady. Don't know about the rest of you but I can't wait to hear when Dad gives in so we can see pictures of the little guy and his enclosure. I feel like a mother all over again.
Animal Lover 506, we are all pulling for you. :) :D :)

Colorado
Yay! When are you picking him up? Just an idea, so you can go get him right away. You can house him in an extra-large plastic totes. That's what I had my guys in, until I got their enclosures done.

May, Aussies, & Hermannis
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES
I'm hoping next weekend but I'll have to see. And yeah if I don't get them done I'll figure something out:)

Colorado
This thread is so much fun to read. I think it is because of all the correspondence back and forth with this young lady. Don't know about the rest of you but I can't wait to hear when Dad gives in so we can see pictures of the little guy and his enclosure. I feel like a mother all over again.
Animal Lover 506, we are all pulling for you. :) :D :)
Awwwww thanks your so sweet!! I can't wait to get him and post pictures also!! We are all crossing our fingers:D