Help Please Baby Cherryhead

Cherryman304

Location (City and/or State)
I am a new to the hobby of tortoise husbandry. I have done as much research I can possibly do to be able to provide the best living conditions I can for my baby tort. I recieved my tort on 3/13/19. I immediately soaked him and then tried to feed greens. He would not eat. I then placed him in him tub enclosure and went about life to let him do his thing. I am running a 150w CHE and a UV strip lamp hanging on the side of the enclosure with a 150 heat lamp on my hot end. Both the element and the light are about 20 inches from the floor. I have a fogger running 24/7. And can obtain 90 degrees on the hot side and about 85 to low 80s on the cool side with >75% humidity. I have tried to feed him the day after on 3/14/19. Pineapple diced with mazuri crushed on top. He took one bite and drug the piece back to the hide. I left the pineapple in the and it looked like it had been moved around but not really alot missing. I tried leafy greens again last night and just left them in there. But hes not eating any real quantity should I be worried?He just likes hanging out in the damp moss in the hide. Is this normal hatchling behavior?

allegraf

10 Year Member!
Lose the pineapple. Generally it takes them up to two weeks to settle in. I don’t know much about inside set ups, but the temps, is that the ambient temp or the temp of the substrate? How little is your tortoise? When they are recently hatched, they need very specific conditions.

Cherryman304

I placed a probe in what was the focus point of the bulb directly on the substrate and it is 94 at the hottest. I would say his carapace is about 2 1/2 inches maybe 3. He doesnt have a yolks sac or anything I'm guessing a month or two. I mean hes very nice and seems alert not hiding. I havent handled him but to move him.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
It's going to take him time to settle in. Even up to a month. I keep my enclosures at 86 degrees thru out. You don't really need a hot and cold side. It's easiest to maintain the temp with your CHE set on a thermostat.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Depending upon the size of your enclosure, that 150 watt might be too big. But, like Todd says, if you have it on a thermostat, then the size of it doesn't matter. I too like to keep my baby enclosures 80-85F all over the whole enclosure.

Cherryman304

Yeah I think I'm going to switch to another CHE and a 60w or so incandescent bulb with my UV light. Just to try and tame the light a little. And I bought him from Tortoise Town.

Cherryman304

Depending upon the size of your enclosure, that 150 watt might be too big. But, like Todd says, if you have it on a thermostat, then the size of it doesn't matter. I too like to keep my baby enclosures 80-85F all over the whole enclosure.
I have can easily keep that temp. My bulbs are a pretty good distance away. They are by no means laying on top of the enclosure. But I want to do away with the 150w basking lamp and just do a low watt bulb for light not heat.

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
Yeah I think I'm going to switch to another CHE and a 60w or so incandescent bulb with my UV light. Just to try and tame the light a little. And I bought him from Tortoise Town.
Yeah, unfortunately Tortoise Town is one of those bad places. I've seen many torts purchased by others from them that were sick and didn't make it. I hope yours will get better and thrive!

Cherryman304

Here are a few pics of the set up.

Attachments

• 20190313_095532.jpg
    20190313_095532.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 45
  • 20190315_125339.jpg
    20190315_125339.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 48

Cherryman304

It's going to take him time to settle in. Even up to a month. I keep my enclosures at 86 degrees thru out. You don't really need a hot and cold side. It's easiest to maintain the temp with your CHE set on a thermostat.
Yeah I believe I'm going to get another CHE and a lower wattage bulb. Also run a thermo.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi and welcome! Don't give him pineapple. Give him what is recommended on the diet sheets for redfoots. Stuff like collard and mustard greens, kale, opuntia cactus (spines removed), hibiscus flowers and leaves, mango, papaya, banana, pak choy, gratered raw pumpkin (or cooked), strawberries, and for protein scrambled or boiled egg, cooked chicken meat, wetted dry cat or dog food, pink mice. You can give him reptile calcium powder, just a pinch about once or twice per week or provide a cuttlefish bone to munch on.

Cherryman304

Hi and welcome! Don't give him pineapple. Give him what is recommended on the diet sheets for redfoots. Stuff like collard and mustard greens, kale, opuntia cactus (spines removed), hibiscus flowers and leaves, mango, papaya, banana, pak choy, gratered raw pumpkin (or cooked), strawberries, and for protein scrambled or boiled egg, cooked chicken meat, wetted dry cat or dog food, pink mice. You can give him reptile calcium powder, just a pinch about once or twice per week or provide a cuttlefish bone to munch on.
Thanks a bunch. I'm going to try strawberries and mustard greens tonight after a soaking. Hopefully he will eat.

Cherryman304

So I tried strawberries and mustard greens after a quick soak. And he ate a few bites out of my hand. But not a whole lot. I'm happy hes trying though but after that quickly back to the hide.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
So I tried strawberries and mustard greens after a quick soak. And he ate a few bites out of my hand. But not a whole lot. I'm happy hes trying though but after that quickly back to the hide.
It will take a little while but your Tort will develop a routine. Mine are waiting at the food dish same time every morning. A little guy like that though will spend most of it's time hiding.

Cherryman304

It will take a little while but your Tort will develop a routine. Mine are waiting at the food dish same time every morning. A little guy like that though will spend most of it's time hiding.
I appreciate it. I really think I may have it a little to bright for him. I tried turning off the big heat lamp and just ran the UV strip with the heater a little closer. He seems to like that a little better

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I appreciate it. I really think I may have it a little to bright for him. I tried turning off the big heat lamp and just ran the UV strip with the heater a little closer. He seems to like that a little better
I personally don't use any kind of heat lamp. Just the CHE for warmth. If you can find away to seal off the top of your enclosure airtight it would be easier for you to hold humidity and temps. You probably wouldn't need the fogger anymore.

Cherryman304

I personally don't use any kind of heat lamp. Just the CHE for warmth. If you can find away to seal off the top of your enclosure airtight it would be easier for you to hold humidity and temps. You probably wouldn't need the fogger anymore.
I have been contemplating on how to seal it off. I thought about a plexi sheeting and just seal the box in it own enclosure