Redfoot not eating

BobbyJ

hello guys ... I have a quick question about my new redfoot he's about 1 year old according to the pet store ... Since I brought him home a week ago , he has not eaten anything .. Everyday I give him food I tried kale,, strawberry , mango, and pineapple .. Any comments on when he'll start to eat .. My conditions are good I have him at 80degrees and 75% humidity.. He likes to burrow a lot also .. I have organic potting soil and then mulch on top of it .. Once again the only issue I have is that he won't eat ... What do I do ? Thanks

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
hello guys ... I have a quick question about my new redfoot he's about 1 year old according to the pet store ... Since I brought him home a week ago , he has not eaten anything .. Everyday I give him food I tried kale,, strawberry , mango, and pineapple .. Any comments on when he'll start to eat .. My conditions are good I have him at 80degrees and 75% humidity.. He likes to burrow a lot also .. I have organic potting soil and then mulch on top of it .. Once again the only issue I have is that he won't eat ... What do I do ? Thanks
What kind of lighting do you use? Do you soak your tortoise daily in Luke warm water?

tortdad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW Houston TX
80 is the lowest the temp should be. Try bumping the temps about 6 degrees.

What are you using for heat and how are you measuring those temps?

Not eating for a couple days is normal for a tort adjusting to a new home. A week is too long though. Typically a tort not eating is because it's too cold. Post some pics of your set up so we can see what your working with.

BobbyJ

This is my set up .. I keep 75% of his enclosure covered

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    913.8 KB · Views: 36
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    465.9 KB · Views: 34

BobbyJ

I don't have night time heat my house is 75 degrees so I just turn off his light .. I have a temparature and humidity gage that I use .. the pet store said he was eating tortoise food pellets but I heard that's the worst thing for them

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Let's see the temp gauge

You need night time heat. Get a CHE, they put off heat without any light. It's best to hook it up to a thermostat.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
I don't have night time heat my house is 75 degrees so I just turn off his light .. I have a temparature and humidity gage that I use .. the pet store said he was eating tortoise food pellets but I heard that's the worst thing for them
Forget everything the pet store told you.

Let's see that bulb too

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
That bulb does not put out any UVB, it's strictly UVA and heat and it doesn't even put out a lot of heat.

You need UVB so you either need to get a MVB (mercury vapor bulb) it's a basking bulb and UVB all in one or you need a separate heat source and a tube type UVB light.

A CHE (ceramic heat emitter) is great for both day and night heat. Hook it up to a reptile thermostat and let it come on an off as needed day or night. Then run your lights on a timer or turn them on in the morning and off at night.

Where's your temp gauge located in the set up and what kind of gauge is it?

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Redfoot also like to live in the shade so put some plants in there to filter the light. That can be real or fake plants...anything to create shade.

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
Since he came from a pet store maybe hes used to eating Mazuri.
My little Sheldon is 3 inches. His temps range from 73-86, he hides alot also. I give him a soak at night & one wet Mazuri chunk before
he goes to bed. He eats it with gusto & really enjoys it, so for that
I will keep it as part of his routine. I feed greens in the am. He will
visit his food area severals times during the day. Besides his lights, I have a side mounted UTH that is on his warm side, no CHE.

Make sure your tort is hydrated.

BobbyJ

I don't the the CHE is going to be possible for me . As far as the bulb , how many watts should It be ? Thanks for all your help by the way , just got the tortoise and trying to learn all that I can about them

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
I don't the the CHE is going to be possible for me . As far as the bulb , how many watts should It be ? Thanks for all your help by the way , just got the tortoise and trying to learn all that I can about them
Why is a CHE not possible?

The watts should be enough to make the entire enclosure about 85ish degrees.

Let's see your temp gauge

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Providing a Mercury vapor bulb or a UVA/UVB light, daily soaks, & warmer temps will vastly improve your torts eating behaviors. I always use a CHE. It's not impossible, if you purchased other items at the pet store you will find that bulb in the reptile aisle with other lights.