Redfoot not eating

tortdad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW Houston TX
No I was going to get a cuttle bone though
You should do both. A very light dusting of calcium powder on their food 2 or 3 times a week. Just know that they can not convert that calcium without UVB

BobbyJ

Okay , Tommorow im going to go get the uvb bulb first thing .. I also am wondering maybe my tort is burrowing to stay warm ??

BobbyJ

Had a uvb bulb and a heating bulb all day now .. Just tried to feed him and still he has not showed any interest in the food .. He just walks right over it like its not even there .. I tried to feed pineapple , mango , and kale

tortdad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW Houston TX
Yeah it's a compact I just checked
I would return it if I were you. You need a MVB or a long tube type of UVB. Some are 12" long some are 18, or 24" long. They make 5.0 and 10.0 and they also make HO (high output) it all depends on your enclosure and how high up the light is going be mounted. You probably need a high output one.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Tortdad is right . The heat lamp you have is ok for cool side heat . I would buy a che and a thermostat . Put the thermostat and che on the other side set to 80 . Drop that other lamp a little or buy a higher wattage lamp to bump that temperature up to 85/87 degrees . Buy a 10.0 t8 or t5 tube and fixture combo . Set it up in the middle of the enclosure . Put the heat lamp and uvb lamp on a timer for 12/14 hours on a day . You will see a big change in your tortoise . But if you take him outside to get sun everyday or so you will not need indoor uvb . But you will always need heat and humidity .

Bird7

If your tortoise has not eaten it's recommended to bathe him/her in baby food, preferably carrot flavour as this restores the nutrients it needs.

My horsefield tortoise went through a phase of not eating, I think the temps was too low, after a 30 minute bathe in carrot flavoured baby food mixed with warm water in a clear tub she was back to normal

BobbyJ

If your tortoise has not eaten it's recommended to bathe him/her in baby food, preferably carrot flavour as this restores the nutrients it needs.

My horsefield tortoise went through a phase of not eating, I think the temps was too low, after a 30 minute bathe in carrot flavoured baby food mixed with warm water in a clear tub she was back to normal
I just bathed him in the baby food .. Tommorow I'm going to get a bigger heat lamp , hope this works

BobbyJ

It looked like he drank a little bit , but he definetly drank plenty of plain water after ,, YEsterday he showed interest in some romaine lettuce ( I know that's not the best for them ) but he couldn't fit it in his mouth and then stopped TRYIG and went back to sleep , hopefully he eats soon the baths everyday are seeming to be helpful because he is a bit more active

Bird7

Everytime I think my tortoises aren't acting themselves I'll do this for them and it seems to work everytime, just ensure you have the right temperatures as if it's too cold they tend to want to sleep and not eat

BobbyJ

Everytime I think my tortoises aren't acting themselves I'll do this for them and it seems to work everytime, just ensure you have the right temperatures as if it's too cold they tend to want to sleep and not eat
I've been soaking him and I'm gonna try warming it up again tommorow