Russian behavior question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Belchertown Ma
Hi there, I have 2 Russians about 7 yr. male and female/ They are outside untill the colder weather creeps in,(MA) This year I kept them out later than some, we had some nice weather. They both seemed to go alittle dormant right before I brought them in. I have a pool inside with lights etc. I haven't as yet hibernated them, but they usually have a couple to 3 months of staying out of the lights, no activity, no eating, the temps are not hibernating temps, but cooler. This year I finally decide to do the hibernation thing, and when I brought them in they stayed off to the side for maybe a week. I thought I would start to soak them and prepare for hibernating. Guess what? the female is so active, she's over by the food area, climbing the walls, up all the time I see her. The male is off to the coolest end and hasn't eaten in over 2 weeks.
What should I do? I have fed her because I can't just not do it?
When is too late to hibernate?
I have had these Russians for over 5 years and never hibernated, I am really ready, but I quess she's not.
Thanks so much Nadine

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Technically they can be hibernated at anytime, it's not like there is a Nov 10th deadline...lol. Just as the length of time down is not set in stone.

It is normally best to do, when it's natural for them. Of course what natural is triggered by temps and lights, something we can control to some extent.

You need to make up your mind as to the when, because you will need to cut down and then stop feeding (also lowering temps and cutting down on amount of light hours) them in advance of their hibernating start. Even if the female is begging, you would have to ignore that if your going to hibernate. It's a hibernating tough love time.:D

greyhairedguy

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
Technically they can be hibernated at anytime, it's not like there is a Nov 10th deadline...lol. Just as the length of time down is not set in stone.

It is normally best to do, when it's natural for them. Of course what natural is triggered by temps and lights, something we can control to some extent.

You need to make up your mind as to the when, because you will need to cut down and then stop feeding (also lowering temps and cutting down on amount of light hours) them in advance of their hibernating start. Even if the female is begging, you would have to ignore that if your going to hibernate. It's a hibernating tough love time.:D

greyhairedguy

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
hi,

my russians are currently hibernating in a 5 cubic foot refridgerator. last year, one of the males was definitely wanting/trying to hibernate. my other male took another month to get to that stage. however, the 3 females were still very active.

this year, i left them out a little longer (cooler temps and less light). i stopped feeding them at the end of sept. after 3 weeks outside i put them inside my closet and soaked them every day for the last week. then they went into the fridge. my males were good to go, but the females were still active after all of that prep. i still put them in the fridge. they are doing fine in there.

long story short. prepare them and then hibernate them. they're doing great. i'll be soaking them and taking thier weights soon, and getting them back into the fridge.

good luck.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Hi greyhairedguy,
Ok, so if I bite the bullet, a good plan of attack would be to soak them daily for a week or so,(should I keep them dark and cool to start? no lights, no food?)
I have difficult time thinking they are in my fridge, we thought a great cool/cold place would be under the stairs of our hatchway. I am finding a therometer to see how bad it can get. What is the coldest you have found it should be?Also what do you find is good for a box and substrate?
I read the tupperware containers don't breathe enough. Although you probably just use your veggie bin? Right?
My female is still sooo active, the lights are on a timer, and after they went out at about 9;30 I heard her still climbing the edges of the pool.
Go figure, she must know I am thinking of putting her in the fridge!!
thanks Nadine

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Nay, have you read this article yet:

http://russiantortoise.net/hibernation_journey.htm

Shelly just used the vegetable cooler drawer for hers. I used rubbermaid containers with drilled air holes. For bedding we both used ripped up strips of newspaper.

Some folks use cardboard boxes. The cardboard would give more insulating value, especially in a location where the temps might vary. I would still use a rubbermaid container inside, just in case things like mice come along. Would hate to have the tort become a snack. Some use hay for the bedding.

I would not let the temps go below 40. To me it gives you a nice leeway for unexpected temp drops.

Your going to need to turn the lights down to a much shorter length on to mimic the natural lack of sunlight...also make sure the heat is not kept as warm. (It's best to have them already cleaned out before lowering the temps, as this allows them to process the food thru). You should not be feeding them for several weeks, not just the one you asked about (if I read right). All food inside them must work it's way out. It can rot and ferment inside the torts, if it is present during hibernation. Which is also why the soaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.