Please help (hiding/sleeping all the time)

Linzi

Location (City and/or State)
Barnsley, uk
You can't kick yourself. It's only human to think a tortoise needs another tortoise. I've had my Russian for 12 years and even though I know for sure that pairs don't work, I still worry that he's lonely. I just spend a little bit of extra time and money on him. Here in the US you can change your mind. I don't know the return policies in the UK. Best wishes for a good outcome. Maybe a better home for one of your tortoises.
I should be able to return, but they were in quite a small viv at the pet shop, I can seperate them today as the sun is shining, I think it will be better to rehome to someone who knows what They're doing.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Hermanns used to be king in UK, now russians are becoming more popular. So re-homing should not be diffucult. Better option then returning so they can sell a pair again, so they don't get "lonely"

Linzi

Barnsley, uk
Hermanns used to be king in UK, now russians are becoming more popular. So re-homing should not be diffucult. Better option then returning so they can sell a pair again, so they don't get "lonely"
I've spoken to the pet shop. I would only be returning 1 anyway, they've told me to give them time to settle in. They're just sleeping all time now. We are only on day 4. I'm just going to go and get them out for a soak. The thermoter is reading 30degrees now under lamp, is that warm enough?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I should be able to return, but they were in quite a small viv at the pet shop, I can seperate them today as the sun is shining, I think it will be better to rehome to someone who knows what They're doing.
Yes and best wishes for that! Then you have time to consider which one you want and you've rescued the other.

Kalbrecht

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Manassas,VA
Hi, I just wanted to tell you your not alone in not having the correct info. I have 2 sulcatas that were houses together for the last 4 years, its only now that I am making changes. Definitely don't take it back to the pet shop, find a rescue that knows what their doing. Here's my torts. They are Murphy and Elvis. Elvis is a male and Murphy is a female. Makes do grow larger but I'm sure Murphy could have been bigger had I known. Live and learn. Welcome, don't hesitate to ask [emoji780] because everyone is really supportive. 20190604_141050.jpeg20190601_103227.jpeg

Kalbrecht

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Manassas,VA
Here's them side by side. Murphy has grown a lot since I've been more aware. 20190330_135230_HDR-1.jpeg

C. Nelson

Grand Junction, CO
Hi,
I have 2 new horsefield tortoise that I got just 3 days ago. At first the female was quite active with the male being a bit more shy, now my female has been hiding away sleeping since yesterday morning, iv had her out to bathe and place under light but then she goes back, they both seam to be doing this now. I only bought the 2 as the pet shop said theyd always been together. Are they just taking time to adjust or are they unhappy.

Also, my Russians won't eat if they are warm enough. Mine like 85 degrees or more.

Linzi

Barnsley, uk
Also, my Russians won't eat if they are warm enough. Mine like 85 degrees or more.
I've lowered their light, it's 32 degrees C and they still won't eat. They ate for the first time Tuesday after a long warm soak but not had anything since