HELP NEEDED INSTANT!!PLS!

Hello, I have an indian star tortoise that keeps sleeping. It has watery eyes when I wake him and one of it is half open. I'm worried that it might be sick. Also it has seemed to eat less than usual and less active.

I'll be very glad to know what should be done. If its sick, what medicine should i use? I dont have any reptile vet around here.

The tortoise info:
Symtoms: watery eyes, sleep very often, wakes up when I hold it for a few seconds and goes back to sleep, starting to loss appetite
Size: 4.3 inches long (11cm) , 2.7 inches wide (7cm)20170103_223806.jpg 20170103_223806.jpg
This its how the eyes look like.
It open its eyes wide after that and goes back to sleep within seconds.

I need help as soon as possible.Thank you.

RickyGoldsmith

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Uranus
How are you keeping it? What kind of house have you built for it ? Is it an enclosure? A vivarium ?
Sun Light is crucial to a tortoise. Do you provide it with enough of it ?

How are you keeping it? What kind of house have you built for it ? Is it an enclosure? A vivarium ?
Sun Light is crucial to a tortoise. Do you provide it with enough of it ?

I built a cardboard house for it. I live in Malaysia so theres sunlight everday. I brought it out for sunbath for 15 minutes each morning.20170103_225800.jpg

RickyGoldsmith

5 Year Member
Uranus
15 mins is way too less. You should setup your enclosure such that it gets sun light for a couple of hours every day. Otherwise, you'll need to make arrangements for UVB lights.

Please see below links for Star care.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/calling-on-indian-star-owners-residing-in-india.68875/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...rtoises-modified-for-indian-residents.139674/

Regarding, whether it is sick or now, I really can't make it out from the pictures. But here are other more experienced users in this forum, who may be able to help.

RickyGoldsmith

5 Year Member
Uranus
In the pictures, I can see 2 torts. Are both of them showing the same behavior ?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Do you have the 2 tortoises sharing that small space?
It could be that there is bullying going on
Please read this to see why 2 torts aren't a good idea.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...together-a-lesson-learned-the-hard-way.94114/
If they need higher humidity maybe they are too dry on newspaper without a moist substrate?
I don't know what Stars need but the caresheet will help you and tell you all about that.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Your tortoises need a little humidity in their environment. You need a substrate that can be moistened, and you can't do that in a cardboard box. And, while your box is very inventive, it really isn't big enough for one tortoise, let alone two.

What kind of light is over the enclosure? Certain types of lights bother tortoises' eyes.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Hello, I have an indian star tortoise that keeps sleeping. It has watery eyes when I wake him and one of it is half open. I'm worried that it might be sick. Also it has seemed to eat less than usual and less active.

I'll be very glad to know what should be done. If its sick, what medicine should i use? I dont have any reptile vet around here.

The tortoise info:
Symtoms: watery eyes, sleep very often, wakes up when I hold it for a few seconds and goes back to sleep, starting to loss appetite
Size: 4.3 inches long (11cm) , 2.7 inches wide (7cm)View attachment 196239 View attachment 196239
This its how the eyes look like.
It open its eyes wide after that and goes back to sleep within seconds.

I need help as soon as possible.Thank you.
Welcome to the forum! It is great you came here to get the proper information for care for your tortoises.

The biggest problem with captive stars is normally providing proper heat, humidity, and diet. We have excellent care sheets here. Star tortoises, especially the first few years, should be kept identical to Leopard Tortoises. Please read the care sheet on how to raise a healthy Sulcata or Leopard. http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/ Follow this advice, and for food, just put less emphasis on the grass, with more weight on broadleaf weeds and greens.

The first thing you must do is get your tortoises warm. Depending upon where you are in Malaysia, you should have daytime temperatures outside that are reaching 33C, but nighttime temps are dropping to 23C. Since you are only taking your tortoises out for sunlight 15 minutes in the morning, they are not getting access to the heat of the sun to allow them to heat their bodies up. 15 minutes is enough UVB exposure, but it is nowhere near enough time for basking to heat their bodies. They need to be able to get their body temperature up to above 30C and no let it drop below 27C. They cannot do that in your house, and in that enclosure. They are too cold. Hang an incandescent light bulb over their enclosure that heats the area directly below to around 36C - 38C. You need to buy a heat gun for reading temperature so you can check their shell temperature and also the temperature of their body where their neck meets their shoulder. You can do that easily with the heat gun. They are inexpensive, and the best way to see if you tortoise is heating up properly with the enclosure you are providing. They may be OK without night heat where you are in Malaysia, but again, you can check with the heat gun to be sure where they are sleeping is keeping them no colder than 27C. While they are sick and you are trying to get them better, I would not let them get colder than 29-30C,

You should soak the tortoises in warm water for about 20-30 minutes every day. The water needs to be at least 32C - 35C. That will give them needed water and hydration, and also heat their bodies and help get them more active. For now, when they are sick, you can add some strained carrot baby food to the water to get them some vitamin A and nutrients. I believe the Indian Stars and Leopards are especially prone to needing this.

Get them into a larger enclosure and on a more natural substrate. Something like Coco Coir, Ochard Bark, Eucalyptus Bark, a good, untreated garden soil. Make that slightly damp, and give them something to hide under like a potted plant that hangs over where they can hide underneath the sides. That is the way they will feel most comfortable and natural in your enclosure.

Get these things done Immediately!!!!! , and read those links for more care info. Keep us updated and come back with any additional questions.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Also bear in mind something I was warned about which is simple but essential

right temperatures + humidity = healthy tort
too cold + humidity = sick tort

Also bear in mind something I was warned about which is simple but essential

right temperatures + humidity = healthy tort
too cold + humidity = sick tort
Welcome to the forum! It is great you came here to get the proper information for care for your tortoises.

The biggest problem with captive stars is normally providing proper heat, humidity, and diet. We have excellent care sheets here. Star tortoises, especially the first few years, should be kept identical to Leopard Tortoises. Please read the care sheet on how to raise a healthy Sulcata or Leopard. http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/ Follow this advice, and for food, just put less emphasis on the grass, with more weight on broadleaf weeds and greens.

The first thing you must do is get your tortoises warm. Depending upon where you are in Malaysia, you should have daytime temperatures outside that are reaching 33C, but nighttime temps are dropping to 23C. Since you are only taking your tortoises out for sunlight 15 minutes in the morning, they are not getting access to the heat of the sun to allow them to heat their bodies up. 15 minutes is enough UVB exposure, but it is nowhere near enough time for basking to heat their bodies. They need to be able to get their body temperature up to above 30C and no let it drop below 27C. They cannot do that in your house, and in that enclosure. They are too cold. Hang an incandescent light bulb over their enclosure that heats the area directly below to around 36C - 38C. You need to buy a heat gun for reading temperature so you can check their shell temperature and also the temperature of their body where their neck meets their shoulder. You can do that easily with the heat gun. They are inexpensive, and the best way to see if you tortoise is heating up properly with the enclosure you are providing. They may be OK without night heat where you are in Malaysia, but again, you can check with the heat gun to be sure where they are sleeping is keeping them no colder than 27C. While they are sick and you are trying to get them better, I would not let them get colder than 29-30C,

You should soak the tortoises in warm water for about 20-30 minutes every day. The water needs to be at least 32C - 35C. That will give them needed water and hydration, and also heat their bodies and help get them more active. For now, when they are sick, you can add some strained carrot baby food to the water to get them some vitamin A and nutrients. I believe the Indian Stars and Leopards are especially prone to needing this.

Get them into a larger enclosure and on a more natural substrate. Something like Coco Coir, Ochard Bark, Eucalyptus Bark, a good, untreated garden soil. Make that slightly damp, and give them something to hide under like a potted plant that hangs over where they can hide underneath the sides. That is the way they will feel most comfortable and natural in your enclosure.

Get these things done Immediately!!!!! , and read those links for more care info. Keep us updated and come back with any additional questions.
Your tortoises need a little humidity in their environment. You need a substrate that can be moistened, and you can't do that in a cardboard box. And, while your box is very inventive, it really isn't big enough for one tortoise, let alone two.

What kind of light is over the enclosure? Certain types of lights bother tortoises' eyes.

Thank you everyone for the advice. I will change a new house for it.

Hello friends, thanks for your help. I brought my tortoise to the vet yesterday, he said Galaxy have some internal infection (as the skin attach the columnar rear legs to the shell is bolting) He gave antibiotics , multivitamins and some babyfood for it. Galaxy seemed to be better this morning. However, after feeding it food and medicine in the afternoon, i seemed to not move and its head is in the shell. My dad then figured out its dead......
We do not know Galaxy's background as we just adopted it from a pet shop a month ago. The vet told us he had accident in the past as the bottom of the shell is cracked and recovered.
I appreciate help from all the kind people from the forum.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Aw, that's too bad. I'm very sorry to hear this.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I'm so sorry to hear about your tortoise.

How about the other tortoise? Do you still have it? Have you made the changes to it's enclosure?

I'm so sorry to hear about your tortoise.

How about the other tortoise? Do you still have it? Have you made the changes to it's enclosure?

Yes , I have changed it to a bigger enclosure, but i still dont have a suitable sub
strate. I am going to reptile shop this weekend.

kingsley

10 Year Member!
Arizona
What part of Malaysia do you live in?? you can keep them out year round in a out door enclosure, provided they are safe from cats and dogs. Also provide an elevated dry area if you live in a locality with heavy rain fall.

What part of Malaysia do you live in?? you can keep them out year round in a out door enclosure, provided they are safe from cats and dogs. Also provide an elevated dry area if you live in a locality with heavy rain fall.
I live in Puchong, Selangor. I have stray cats and brids around here so i will only put it outside when its bigger. I do not feel safe to put it outside as one of my neighbour's pond fish had been eaten by birds.