Help me sex my tortoise

Moonrabbit

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
Can anyone provide me with their thoughts on the likely sex of my Eastern Hermann's tortoise? We bought this guy (girl) in May 2018 as a hatchling. He (she) was smaller than a half dollar at the time and was supposed to be incubated at a temperature so as to likely be male. It has been four years, and I understand he (she) is still a juvenile. There have been no eggs (or penises) visible to date. My old vet believed the tortoise to be male, but a new vet this week believed the tortoise to be female due to the shape of the notch at the base of the plastron. Based on the amalgamation of information I have seen online, I would think the tortoise meets most of the criteria for male sex. However, I would appreciate a second opinion or three.

One question: I have frequently seen (felt) the tortoise pee but have never seen a penis everted. Can a male tortoise pee without displaying its penis?

Attachments

• IMG_1754.jpg
    IMG_1754.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1753.jpg
    IMG_1753.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1752.jpg
    IMG_1752.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 17

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
I go male but this can change as they grow.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Completely off topic but I recommend you switch the water bowl for a flat flower pot base. They need to crawl / walk through water to encourage hydration and drinking.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Can anyone provide me with their thoughts on the likely sex of my Eastern Hermann's tortoise? We bought this guy (girl) in May 2018 as a hatchling. He (she) was smaller than a half dollar at the time and was supposed to be incubated at a temperature so as to likely be male. It has been four years, and I understand he (she) is still a juvenile. There have been no eggs (or penises) visible to date. My old vet believed the tortoise to be male, but a new vet this week believed the tortoise to be female due to the shape of the notch at the base of the plastron. Based on the amalgamation of information I have seen online, I would think the tortoise meets most of the criteria for male sex. However, I would appreciate a second opinion or three.

One question: I have frequently seen (felt) the tortoise pee but have never seen a penis everted. Can a male tortoise pee without displaying its penis?
It's a boy! And yes, a male tortoise can urinate perfectly well without showing his penis.

Moonrabbit

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Thanks for the replies, everyone! I appreciate the perspectives of those who've owned a tortoise longer than I have. Guess I will have to wait another year or two to be certain, but you have validated my thoughts on my tortoise's likely sex.

Moonrabbit

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Completely off topic but I recommend you switch the water bowl for a flat flower pot base. They need to crawl / walk through water to encourage hydration and drinking.
My tortoise has no trouble crawling in and out of the watering dish seen in the photograph. He regularly drinks from it or lowers his rear into it to do his business. However, I will do some more research on the saucer idea you mention and see if we have anything suitably sized laying around.

Diane771

5 Year Member

Males have longer tails then a female