Help me! Help my Izel! (still pyramiding)

izel_

Location (City and/or State)
Los Angels
When I first got Izel she was a bit pyramided. Since I'm a first time tortoise owner I completely freaked out. And tried and still trying to do everything by the books and the right way to try and stop the pyramiding. I feel like it had kept growing so now I am beginning to think i am doing something wrong. Help me please.

Her daily diet is Collard Greens and Kale. At times as a snack some fruit. I make sure she always has water and she soaks daily. She sleeps indoor and has her heat light always on. Never higher then 100 and not lower then 70 degrees. I take her out to her out door inclosure on warm days to get some sun.

Am I doing something wrong? Or should I be doing something different?

Never realized how stressing and worrisome having a tortoise can be. I just want the best for her.

Here are some pics.

ImageUploadedByTortForum1393385445.668262.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1393385466.942332.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1393385481.032072.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1393385512.752763.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1393385529.052381.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
RE: Help me! Help my Izel!

Stopping the pyramiding process is a lot more difficult than preventing it. You never mentioned humidity levels in the enclosure. From what I've read, it'll take quite a while before the raised scutes start looking more flattened. What else are you feeding her? I'd try and provide a more varied diet than just collards and kale. See what the veterans say. But, try not to worry yourself to death; the fact that you're on this forum trying to do right by your tort means you love her and are doing the best you can.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

By the books was your mistake. Most of them are old, out dated bad info. You need to add humidity to the enclosure. Either the whole enclosure to be at 80% humidity or for older torts! like 2 or more, a humid hide will help. Also, you need to add a lot more variety to the diet then just the two items mentioned. Please read Toms threads below in my post for a better understanding of raising a sully baby.

izel_

Los Angels
Help me! Help my Izel!

Thanks. I really am trying my best. I'ce always wanted a tortoise and now that i have her i want the best for her. She also eat Prickly Pears, Strawberries, Roman Lettuce, Mixed Greens.

pfara said:
Stopping the pyramiding process is a lot more difficult than preventing it. You never mentioned humidity levels in the enclosure. From what I've read, it'll take quite a while before the raised scutes start looking more flattened. What else are you feeding her? I'd try and provide a more varied diet than just collards and kale. See what the veterans say. But, try not to worry yourself to death; the fact that you're on this forum trying to do right by your tort means you love her and are doing the best you can.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

Also wanted to say, your not alone. Many of us got fooled by the books and/or other uninformed websites. Get things, humidity and diet Improved and things will work out okay.

izel_

Los Angels
Help me! Help my Izel!

Thank you so much. The books was probably my mistake. 80% humidity will be the first thing on my list.

wellington said:
By the books was your mistake. Most of them are old, out dated bad info. You need to add humidity to the enclosure. Either the whole enclosure to be at 80% humidity or for older torts! like 2 or more, a humid hide will help. Also, you need to add a lot more variety to the diet then just the two items mentioned. Please read Toms threads below in my post for a better understanding of raising a sully baby.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland

Definitely read the threads that Barb has in her signature. It's a lot of great information and you'll see a vast improvement in Izel :D

izel_

Los Angels
Help me! Help my Izel!

Thank you. Im still kinda new to this and still trying to find my way completely around. How do i get to those threads?

pfara said:
Definitely read the threads that Barb has in her signature. It's a lot of great information and you'll see a vast improvement in Izel :D

justino4444

5 Year Member
Help me! Help my Izel!

izel_ said:
Thank you. Im still kinda new to this and still trying to find my way completely around. How do i get to those threads?

pfara said:

It depends on if you are in the app or online. In the app you will have to search the account name but online I think it just comes up after she writes something

izel_

Los Angels
Help me! Help my Izel!

Oh okay. Yeah i use my phone. I will log in through the computer and definitely check it out.

justino4444 said:
izel_ said:

pfara said:

It depends on if you are in the app or online. In the app you will have to search the account name but online I think it just comes up after she writes something

justino4444

5 Year Member
Help me! Help my Izel!

izel_ said:
Oh okay. Yeah i use my phone. I will log in through the computer and definitely check it out.

justino4444 said:
izel_ said:

pfara said:

Great idea and good luck with Izel [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]

izel_

Los Angels
Help me! Help my Izel!

Thank you so much!

justino4444 said:
izel_ said:

justino4444 said:
izel_ said:

pfara said:

Great idea and good luck with Izel [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California

Please be sure that if you are going to use the constant high humidity method that you never, ever (did I mention, ever) let the temps in the enclosure fall below 80 degrees day nor night.....this is imperative to using that method....

Also, you will really want to focus on the diet, the items you outlined are good as long as you add some others in...also, the fruit items should be streamlined to treats and not often, at all.

Also, the tort is not badly pyramided, so take a breath, give yourself a moment and research...there are a variety of ways to care for the tort...so figure which works for the tort and you and customize to suit those needs....there is NO ONE WAY to ever raise a tort...there are simply too many variables.....your diet can be improved on, you already say you take the tort outdoors for sunlight--do you have an area that he can graze on grass/weeds that are not treated with chemical sprays? if yes, then that will be much better than grocery store offerings....remember, you will want to start to introduce finely chopped up hay into this tortoise diet--this species will consume large amounts of food when grown...so good to head for that target....

Beautiful tort by the way, good job.:D

How long have you had the tort? Approximately how old is the tort?

izel_

Los Angels
Help me! Help my Izel!

Thank you for so much info. :) My first priority is to change her diet and humidity. And hay will definitely be added. She does walk around in the yard with grass that isn't chemically treated. I've had her since June of 2013. And im not sure how old she is.
Any more advise is completely welcomed! :)

ascott said:
Please be sure that if you are going to use the constant high humidity method that you never, ever (did I mention, ever) let the temps in the enclosure fall below 80 degrees day nor night.....this is imperative to using that method....

Also, you will really want to focus on the diet, the items you outlined are good as long as you add some others in...also, the fruit items should be streamlined to treats and not often, at all.

Also, the tort is not badly pyramided, so take a breath, give yourself a moment and research...there are a variety of ways to care for the tort...so figure which works for the tort and you and customize to suit those needs....there is NO ONE WAY to ever raise a tort...there are simply too many variables.....your diet can be improved on, you already say you take the tort outdoors for sunlight--do you have an area that he can graze on grass/weeds that are not treated with chemical sprays? if yes, then that will be much better than grocery store offerings....remember, you will want to start to introduce finely chopped up hay into this tortoise diet--this species will consume large amounts of food when grown...so good to head for that target....

Beautiful tort by the way, good job.:D

How long have you had the tort? Approximately how old is the tort?

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal

I'm only going to refer to diet here...and you're the third one I've advised in the last hour. :D

FIRST...LOSE THE FRUIT! FOREVER! Unless you're offering African mango...they don't need it...and it will add to the pyramiding problem.

Second...kale and other greens are fine...occasionally. The main source of their diet should always be grass and weeds...literally 90% or more!

Third...try one or both of these!

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-19944.html
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-39021.html

Most importantly, you're doing great with daily soakings...hydration is the single most important thing!

And remember, since pyramiding has already set in...it's going to take a long time (years) before you see it diminish! Be patient!

izel_

Los Angels
Help me! Help my Izel!

Okay. Fruit gone! Okay grass and weeds it is. :)
Thank you so much for the info.
Diet change and humidity will change completely.
Don't know what i would do without this forum.

DeanS said:
I'm only going to refer to diet here...and you're the third one I've advised in the last hour. :D

FIRST...LOSE THE FRUIT! FOREVER! Unless you're offering African mango...they don't need it...and it will add to the pyramiding problem.

Second...kale and other greens are fine...occasionally. The main source of their diet should always be grass and weeds...literally 90% or more!

Third...try one or both of these!

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-19944.html
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-39021.html

Most importantly, you're doing great with daily soakings...hydration is the single most important thing!

And remember, since pyramiding has already set in...it's going to take a long time (years) before you see it diminish! Be patient!