Help me learn more about my Tortoise. :)

izel_

Location (City and/or State)
Los Angels
Tortoise Gender Identification Please

This is Izel. Izel is the Aztec name for unique. We are new to Tortforum. And i keep wondering if i have a baby girl or boy. I refer to my tortoise as a girl but i want to eventually have a mate for "her" but i want to be completely sure she is a girl. Any help would be great. Thank you!!

ImageUploadedByTortForum1389727041.619968.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1389727136.587135.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1389727158.755448.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1389727211.974278.jpg
Hello. My tortoises name is Izel.
I chose the name Izel because it is the Aztec name for unique.
I refer to my tortoise as a girl although i am not sure is it is a girl.
When i bought her the seller told me she is a Greek tortoise.
But i would like to learn more about my beautiful little baby. Any info would be amazing. Thank you. :)ImageUploadedByTortForum1389730419.039896.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1389730527.802014.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1389730636.639996.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1389730677.556190.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Welcome!
Izel is definitely not a Greek. I'm a total newb and I can tell that your tortoise is a Sulcata. And Sulcatas get really large.
I am glad you found TFO. Hopefully the experts can help you identify the sex of your tort.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
That looks like a baby Sulcata and she will get very big, about 150 pounds (70 kilos) bigger than a greek. The front page has lots of interesting threads on their care. Good luck and welcome! You will also discover that her care is very different from what you expected with a greek. I love all my little sulcatas and you will as well. They have great personalities and are very friendly. Mine recognize me and act differently towards me and my niece than they do to anyone else that they come in contact with.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
RE: Tortoise Gender Identification Please

That torts a little too small to determine sex.

Izel is a very pretty name. Welcome to the forum! :)

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
hey there, welcome to the forum!

nice sulcata tortoise :) if i were you I'd get this tort all situated before you decided to buy another. since this is not a Greek tortoise you may not know what you've gotten yourself into LOL this tortoise lives 100 years and grow to be 150lbs...they are powerful, eats pounds of food when older and need a large outdoor enclosure. make sure you can provide everything you need for TWO tortoises because they may not like each other and need separate everything. totally different than a little greek :p

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). So sorry the person that sold you that tortoises lied about the species it is. Someone getting or wanting a Greek, may not be prepared for a sulcata. S/he is already pyramided. I would try to get some humidity in his enclosure and start reading up on them to see if she is something that you are prepared to care for. Good luck.

izel_

Los Angels
Thank you everyone for the help. I am glad to know Izel is a Sulcata. :)
Now i can really look into care for Izel.

Instinct

5 Year Member
Upstate New York
Welcome!
There are many threads here that will give you some great information on raising a happy, healthy sulcata. Little Izel is adorable. :)

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Izel, I hope you have a big yard with lots of grass.. At you are in Southern Calif.. that will help.. they don't hibernate.. need heat year round.
Start reading the Sulcata Section.. I hope you didn't pay Greek prices..
cute one tho!

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
This is a good place to learn and share. I love it!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

jfales

5 Year Member
RE: Tortoise Gender Identification Please

Congratulations on your sulcata! My charge is also a sulcata and I have been picking the brains of the folks here to learn as much as possible. There is also a yahoo group called 'sulcatastation' to which I belong. Your baby is very beautiful!
:shy: