Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
tffnytorts said:
I like the iguana!

I like iguanas too, but I don't want them living in the same enclosure with a tortoise.

boris'mommy

Pleasant Hill, Ca
izel_ said:
boris said:
I thought you were a chick lol and as much as I agree they look very cute, a tortoise is a solitary animal and even though they may enjoy some interaction the biggest psychological issues tortoises can have come from stress. And I can't speak for your tortoise specifically but I have seen a lot of cases where sullies especially are not fans of sharing their enclosures. Even with other tortoises. So you may even want to reconsider visiting time. Again I could never say 100% that they do not enjoy eachothers company but it may take a mental toll on your tort. I would see what Tom has to say on the subject.

I never thought about stress as an issue for Izel but now i will take it into consideration and buy her a separate and better home for her. I wouldn't want her to have health issues. Thank you so much for that prospective. :)

Anytime sweet thang! I'm glad I could help at all :)

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
Re: RE: Pyramiding?

boris said:
I thought you were a chick

I'm pretty sure she's not a young chicken.

Cowboy_Ken said:
I think you get it, but to expand on Toms point of never truly knowing, here is a picture of my Doberman being loved on by one of our cats. When Ava, the dog was a puppy, she would curl up with our cats for nap time. They have a wonderful relationship.
That said though, when we leave the house we pen Ava up to avoid anything going wrong. Like I said, I do think you get it, just wanted to share how we avoid things here that may never happen, and doing what we do insures that nothing bad can happen.

I glanced at that picture and it looked like Ava had kitty's head in her mouth...

izel_

Los Angels
How can i keep track of Pyramiding?

When I got my tortoise I didn't know what pyramiding was until i joined this forum. I thought thats how she was suppose to be since when i got her she was like that. But now that i know. I am constantly looking at her trying to see and hoping her pyramiding doesn't grow anymore.

Any help on how to keep track of it?!

•Izel is about 3 to 4 inches long.
•She lives in a 20 gallon tank.
(Im working on getting her a bigger one)
•Someone told me about 2-5 years old.
•I take her out to walk around everyday under the sun.
•She eats greens, flower pedals, grass, prickly pear, carrots...etc.

ImageUploadedByTortForum1390494501.001276.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1390494588.921104.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1390494672.899675.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1390494784.291418.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
RE: How can i keep track of Pyramiding?

As long as your during daily soaks, with a well balanced diet, high humidity, good temps, and good substrate, then her new growth will start to come in smoother. It's hard to see immediate results with young tortoises like that when they have already had a year plus of dry arid enclosures. I would guess your tortoise to be a year to two years old but it's so hard to know for sure.
I have a few pardalis babies that were raised to dry before I bought them and finally after 3 months I am seeing noticable smoother growth at the scute seams. So be patient. I wouldn't necessarily "track" it but I would consistently do daily soaks and make sure the enclosure humidity is high. Best of luck to you. It's a cute little sulcata.

izel_

Los Angels

diamondbp said:
As long as your during daily soaks, with a well balanced diet, high humidity, good temps, and good substrate, then her new growth will start to come in smoother. It's hard to see immediate results with young tortoises like that when they have already had a year plus of dry arid enclosures. I would guess your tortoise to be a year to two years old but it's so hard to know for sure.
I have a few pardalis babies that were raised to dry before I bought them and finally after 3 months I am seeing noticable smoother growth at the scute seams. So be patient. I wouldn't necessarily "track" it but I would consistently do daily soaks and make sure the enclosure humidity is high. Best of luck to you. It's a cute little sulcata.

Thank you so much. :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

The tendency to pyramid starts during the first year of a tortoise's life. If you don't nip it in the bud during that year, you don't have much hope of doing anything about it. All you can do now is provide your tortoise with the best care you can, and that includes a nice large habitat, good food, hydration and hopefully, some outside time for the sun.

boris'mommy

Pleasant Hill, Ca

As a first time tortoise mum myself I totally understand where you are coming from with wanting to track absolutely everything possible on your baby. And there are a ton of things to be monitored as stated above ^^ but the only way I see you being able to track the pyramiding in your tort is by taking A TON of photos; and even this won't create immediate results. As Tom once said to me "tortoises are a patient mans game." So depending on how fast your baby grows you most likely won't see any differences for a few months, but if your patient and make time for lots of photo shoots you'll see new growth sooner than you think. Oh, and I highly suggest you pick up a fairly large scale that reads in grams/oz to see just how quickly your individual tort is growing. ImageUploadedByTortForum1390513690.033722.jpg

izel_

Los Angels

Yvonne G said:
The tendency to pyramid starts during the first year of a tortoise's life. If you don't nip it in the bud during that year, you don't have much hope of doing anything about it. All you can do now is provide your tortoise with the best care you can, and that includes a nice large habitat, good food, hydration and hopefully, some outside time for the sun.

Thank you. :) I try to provide the best for her.

boris said:
As a first time tortoise mum myself I totally understand where you are coming from with wanting to track absolutely everything possible on your baby. And there are a ton of things to be monitored as stated above ^^ but the only way I see you being able to track the pyramiding in your tort is by taking A TON of photos; and even this won't create immediate results. As Tom once said to me "tortoises are a patient mans game." So depending on how fast your baby grows you most likely won't see any differences for a few months, but if your patient and make time for lots of photo shoots you'll see new growth sooner than you think. Oh, and I highly suggest you pick up a fairly large scale that reads in grams/oz to see just how quickly your individual tort is growing.

Lol. Yes. Being a first time tortoise mommy is a little stressful sometimes.

mushmouth26

5 Year Member
Texas

My rescue I took in 3 months ago had pretty bad pyramiding and was malnourished. I was told she was around 4 years. Here is a my proof of smooth growth after being kept dry for a long time. For the first couple of weeks I soaked daily and now just spray her down a couple times a day. Ive only had her for a little over 3 months she has grown really fast. 261 grams the day I brought her home and 740 grams as of yesterday. Enclosure is kept at 80% humidity.

P1010151.JPG
P1010152.JPG

diamondbp

10 Year Member!

mushmouth26 said:
My rescue I took in 3 months ago had pretty bad pyramiding and was malnourished. I was told she was around 4 years. Here is a my proof of smooth growth after being kept dry for a long time. For the first couple of weeks I soaked daily and now just spray her down a couple times a day. Ive only had her for a little over 3 months she has grown really fast. 261 grams the day I brought her home and 740 grams as of yesterday. Enclosure is kept at 80% humidity.

Thats a great example of how it the new growth will come in smooth after a few months. You can clearly see the difference. Good work

boris'mommy

Pleasant Hill, Ca

Btw check out my thread on my baby Boris' new enclosure it will give you an idea on how to upgrade your for little to nothing.

mushmouth26 said:

That's amazing! Such a great looking tort!

izel_

Los Angels

mushmouth26 said:

That is amazing!
Is soaking daily all you did?
How should the water be? I read it should be between 70 and 80 degrees?
I sometimes think its too hot though.
My little one has been picky with food. Not sure if its my fault or the pervious owners.

mushmouth26

5 Year Member
Texas

I dont soak her that often now. Mostly i just spray her down in the morning and evening with a spray bottle. I think having the humid enclosure and humid hide are doing most of the work for the smooth shell growth. When I do soak I don't typically measure the water temp.. I just make sure its warm on my hand but not hot. I also use a lid to hold in the humid air while soaking. Also make sure to NOT leave her in there once its cold.

There is definitely different growth rates though. My original hatchling I bought in June is growing much more slowly. She his 130 grams as of this week. 52 grams when I got her in June. She also doesnt eat like a hog beast like the rescue does. The rescue will also destroy a whole cuttle bone in a day or two. Trys to constantly eat rocks out side too. Im guessing her body needs lots of calcium for all that fast growth.

mushmouth26 said:
I dont soak her that often now. Mostly i just spray her down in the morning and evening with a spray bottle. I think having the humid enclosure and humid hide are doing most of the work for the smooth shell growth. When I do soak I don't typically measure the water temp.. I just make sure its warm on my hand but not hot. I also use a lid to hold in the humid air while soaking. Also make sure to NOT leave her in there once its cold.

There is definitely different growth rates though. My original hatchling I bought in June is growing much more slowly. She his 130 grams as of this week. 52 grams when I got her in June. She also doesnt eat like a hog beast like the rescue does. The rescue will also destroy a whole cuttle bone in a day or two. Trys to constantly eat rocks out side too. Im guessing her body needs lots of calcium for all that fast growth.

I should clarify I still soak my hatchling daily.

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
Re: How can i keep track of Pyramiding?

But mushmouth! You have a SPLIT SCUTE BABY!! So adorable! I'm a sucker for those guys! My dream tort is a nice big split.

izel_

Los Angels

mushmouth26 said:

mushmouth26 said:

I should clarify I still soak my hatchling daily.

I dont leave her soaking for to long. Maybe about 20 min. Thank you though. You have helped. :)