Help identify genders pls

Filmin19

Location (City and/or State)
Philippines
Good day!

Can anyone help me gender my radiated tortoise?

I’ll attach some pics here.

Its 3 radiated tortoise labelled with A B C

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_0340.jpeg
    IMG_0340.jpeg
    517.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0341.jpeg
    IMG_0341.jpeg
    632 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0344.jpeg
    IMG_0344.jpeg
    508.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0343.jpeg
    IMG_0343.jpeg
    822.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0346.jpeg
    IMG_0346.jpeg
    696.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0348.jpeg
    IMG_0348.jpeg
    870 KB · Views: 5

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
A is female, B and C are Male

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
-A looks female at this point.
-I can't see the tail well on B, so I don't have a guess. Anal scute shape indicates male.
-C looks male judging by tail size.

@zovick knows this species better than any human on the planet. Let's see if we can get him to have a look.

zovick

10 Year Member!
-I can't see the tail well on B, so I don't have a guess. Anal scute shape indicates male.

@zovick knows this species better than any human on the planet. Let's see if we can get him to have a look.
@Filmin19
A and B both look female to me right now going by the tail sizes, the anal and supracaudal scute shapes, plus their flat plastrons. I could be mistaken on B, and A is still pretty young to be sure, but if I had to guess now, I'd still say female for both of them.

C is a definite male.

zovick

10 Year Member!
@Filmin19
A and B both look female to me right now going by the tail sizes, the anal and supracaudal scute shapes, plus their flat plastrons. I could be mistaken on B, and A is still pretty young to be sure, but if I had to guess now, I'd still say female for both of them.

C is a definite male.
@Filmin19
They all have some degree of shell rot. Does that concern you?

Filmin19

Philippines
I’m adding another set of picture of the B. So you guys can see the tail better. Haha

Attachments

• IMG_0467.jpeg
    IMG_0467.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0471.jpeg
    IMG_0471.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 3

Filmin19

Philippines
@Filmin19

C is a definite male.
Hi, Thank you so much again bro Zovic. I added new set of pictures of letter B if you can check again to confirm.

Thank you and God bless

Filmin19

Philippines
Yhan

Thanks on tagging zovic boss @Tom

zovick

10 Year Member!
I’m adding another set of picture of the B. So you guys can see the tail better. Haha
Can you post another photo of the plastron from the side so I can see whether the anal scutes are starting to bulge upward and whether there is any concavity in the plastron yet? Something like the original side view photo of B would be great. Also if you can get a shot of the tail when it is not tucked in to the side, it would be very helpful.

As of now, all I can say is that the supracaudal scute says "female" but the anal scutes and tail are still indeterminate from the photos I have seen thus far.

Reactions: Tom

Filmin19

Philippines
Can you post another photo of the plastron from the side so I can see whether the anal scutes are starting to bulge upward and whether there is any concavity in the plastron yet? Something like the original side view photo of B would be great. Also if you can get a shot of the tail when it is not tucked in to the side, it would be very helpful.

As of now, all I can say is that the supracaudal scute says "female" but the anal scutes and tail are still indeterminate from the photos I have seen thus far.
This is noted sir @zovick I will send a picture again soon

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hi @zovick , yes, I’m well aware, I just got them few weeks ago and I already started treating them.
How are you treating the shell rot?

I had good success over many years by first rubbing off the white spots with a wire brush (like one used to clean whitewall tires) and then painting the affected areas with a cotton swab dipped in Gentian Violet (available in drug stores). Do it outside as the Gentian Violet will turn everything it touches purple. It wears off over time, though.

The Gentian Violet stays where you put it once it dries, unlike athlete's foot cream which comes off much more easily and needs to be re-applied more often, but you could use either one to treat shell rot.

Filmin19

Philippines
How are you treating the shell rot?

I had good success over many years by first rubbing off the white spots with a wire brush (like one used to clean whitewall tires) and then painting the affected areas with a cotton swab dipped in Gentian Violet (available in drug stores). Do it outside as the Gentian Violet will turn everything it touches purple. It wears off over time, though.

The Gentian Violet stays where you put it once it dries, unlike athlete's foot cream which comes off much more easily and needs to be re-applied more often, but you could use either one to treat shell rot.
Hi Bro, @zovick what i’ve been doing is I’m brushing the plastron with a toothbrush (hard bristle) after a good soak then dry it out with a clean towel, then I apply povidone iodine with a cotton. I try to do it twice a week.

Will it work or should I look for Gentian Violet here in the Philippines? Its the first time ive heard of it.

Thanks Zovick

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Re the shell rot suggest you have a look at the enclosure and substrate is there adequate drainage? If not please review enclosure to see what can be improved to reduce them having the constany damp underneath? Try adding in low rocks etc....

Filmin19

Philippines
Re the shell rot suggest you have a look at the enclosure and substrate is there adequate drainage? If not please review enclosure to see what can be improved to reduce them having the constany damp underneath? Try adding in low rocks etc....
I just got the radiated already infested with fungus. My enclosure is well drained. Thank you for your input hopefully it heals fast. Here is my enclosure

Attachments

• IMG_0306.jpeg
    IMG_0306.jpeg
    999.2 KB · Views: 4

Filmin19

Philippines
Hi @zovick here is the picture you asked for, and to my surprise, he or she flashed! I know I read here somewhere the females can flash but can you confirm?

Thank you brother

Attachments

• IMG_0650.jpeg
    IMG_0650.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0643.jpeg
    IMG_0643.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0627.jpeg
    IMG_0627.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hi @zovick here is the picture you asked for, and to my surprise, he or she flashed! I know I read here somewhere the females can flash but can you confirm?

Thank you brother
It looks like a definite male now that I can see the tail clearly, plus the flash confirms it.

So I would say you have two males in B and C and one possible female in A. You have only posted one photo of A, though. Is that correct? That one could still turn out to be a male from what I saw in that one picture.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hi Bro, @zovick what i’ve been doing is I’m brushing the plastron with a toothbrush (hard bristle) after a good soak then dry it out with a clean towel, then I apply povidone iodine with a cotton. I try to do it twice a week.

Will it work or should I look for Gentian Violet here in the Philippines? Its the first time ive heard of it.

Thanks Zovick
The povidone iodine (Betadine) may work also, but I believe Gentian Violet has a more direct antifungal effect.

I don't think it should be hard to find Gentian Violet if you want to try it. The WHO still lists it as a useful compound for treating fungus.