Help!! I think coco is sick! ???

Melissacoop

Location (City and/or State)
Pembroke Pines, FL
Tom said to go to Walmart to find his hide out thing for 2 bucks but didn’t find anything! I been two the ones i
Have in my valley! What’s the next best hideout for a desert tortoise?
Any big square Tupperware or dishpan

Attachments

• E4773BE7-15FA-495A-934A-A5EA2BA94B3E.jpeg
    E4773BE7-15FA-495A-934A-A5EA2BA94B3E.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 15

Melissacoop

Pembroke Pines, FL
Please take those rocks out from under the basking light so he can bask! They are in his way. I have a flat brick even with the substrate for basking and a flat piece of slate for feeding. I use the coco coir mixed with fine orchid bark and I use that exact bin from the dollar store with tape around it. I have followed the care sheet for everything.

Attachments

• A944C907-2E47-4876-A242-55E3D757CE87.jpeg
    A944C907-2E47-4876-A242-55E3D757CE87.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
  • 893D1DB3-5089-4D0B-A2BD-E8A74BE546F6.jpeg
    893D1DB3-5089-4D0B-A2BD-E8A74BE546F6.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 9

Crystallynda

Las Vegas
You can get a coping saw very cheap that would work to make a door. Alternatively some tin snips or an otherwise very strong scissors. A dremel tool would work as would a razor knife. Just remember when using force with any blade to keep the edge pointed away from any fleshy material.
I feel like someone needs to do it for me!
I honestly don’t trust myself!! ??

Crystallynda

Las Vegas
Please take those rocks out from under the basking light so he can bask! They are in his way. I have a flat brick even with the substrate for basking and a flat piece of slate for feeding. I use the coco coir mixed with fine orchid bark and I use that exact bin from the dollar store with tape around it. I have followed the care sheet for everything.
I have the rock in the middle so he can bask in the right temperature and humidity!

His light isn’t warming him up enough yet!!

I’ll find a flat brick ? Here soon!!

Crystallynda

Las Vegas
I have found that a terra cotta plant pot, broken in half works so good and small turtles love it. Here is where Grumpyface sleeps, he always sleeps in that pot, and all I did was pick up a broken pot, and put it in his tank. He goes in on his own. And because of the material used, it seems to hold humidity much better than plastic.
Grumpy's hide
View attachment 315809
broken so it 'fits' better
View attachment 315811
Grumpyface is 3 months old now and 28 grams
View attachment 315812
This is an excellent idea!
I’ll check Home Depot or Lowe’s for this!

I prefer this than plastic!!

Crystallynda

Las Vegas
Oh I haven’t set his substrate in a couple days in purpose...should I wet it even though the thermometer, humidity thing shows 91-99 humidity!!

Melissacoop

Pembroke Pines, FL
Thanks! It works great. Just wanted to give you some visuals. I know it’s very overwhelming in the beginning. It took me awhile to get it all figured out but now that it is , it’s much easier and my guy is doing great. If the enclosure is long enough than you can have a cool side which is where my Che is hanging with a thermostat set to 81 and than the warm side with basking bulb and humid hide. Then the feeding plate is in the middle. He had a hide on each end and he uses them both! His water is a terra-cotta saucer towards the cooler side which he walks through sometimes. Lol. I don’t use uvb bulb because I’m in Florida and he gets outside everyday. Hope this helps!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
This is an excellent idea!
I’ll check Home Depot or Lowe’s for this!

I prefer this than plastic!!
I have the rock in the middle so he can bask in the right temperature and humidity!

His light isn’t warming him up enough yet!!

I’ll find a flat brick ? Here soon!!
His light should have warmed him up in 20 minutes. Are you expecting him to feel hot to your touch?

Crystallynda

Las Vegas
Thanks! It works great. Just wanted to give you some visuals. I know it’s very overwhelming in the beginning. It took me awhile to get it all figured out but now that it is , it’s much easier and my guy is doing great. If the enclosure is long enough than you can have a cool side which is where my Che is hanging with a thermostat set to 81 and than the warm side with basking bulb and humid hide. Then the feeding plate is in the middle. He had a hide on each end and he uses them both! His water is a terra-cotta saucer towards the cooler side which he walks through sometimes. Lol. I don’t use uvb bulb because I’m in Florida and he gets outside everyday. Hope this helps!
Yes I have the saucer from Home Depot! I use that so he can soak!
I soak him everyday almost! Just for 5 minutes! I have plastic lids for the Tim being for his water and food! He seems to be fine with those for now! I’m live in Vegas so right now it’s still cold for him to be outside..so I’m considering getting him a UVB but I’m not sure yet..cause I’m a month or two it will start to get warm!

Crystallynda

Las Vegas
His light should have warmed him up in 20 minutes. Are you expecting him to feel hot to your touch?
No, I was testing the temperatures! His rock reads the perfect temps for him then without his light!!

I may need a higher watt for winter and a lower one for summer!
So then the flat brick “level to his substrate” will actually work for him to bask in!!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Yes I have the saucer from Home Depot! I use that so he can soak!
I soak him everyday almost! Just for 5 minutes! I have plastic lids for the Tim being for his water and food! He seems to be fine with those for now! I’m live in Vegas so right now it’s still cold for him to be outside..so I’m considering getting him a UVB but I’m not sure yet..cause I’m a month or two it will start to get warm!
You need to soak him every day, not almost. He does need a UVB light as he will not be able to stay outside for a few years yet, especially in the Vegas heat.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
No, I was testing the temperatures! His rock reads the perfect temps for him then without his light!!

I may need a higher watt for winter and a lower one for summer!
So then the flat brick “level to his substrate” will actually work for him to bask in!!
The rock has nothing to do with bim basking. He needs a hot bulb that he can get under and warm up. The rock only is supposed to help, but it won't hold heat w/light off.

Crystallynda

Las Vegas
You need to soak him every day, not almost. He does need a UVB light as he will not be able to stay outside for a few years yet, especially in the Vegas heat.
I do soak him! I even brush his shell with a Q-tip!!

What UVB should I get him then?

I don’t have another light bulb thing for him yet! I just have the one!?

Crystallynda

Las Vegas
The rock has nothing to do with bim basking. He needs a hot bulb that he can get under and warm up. The rock only is supposed to help, but it won't hold heat w/light off.
Yes I know, that’s what I meant!! It’s only helping for basking...I know it won’t hold heat!! So maybe a 75 will work better..unless I just get a low brick and replace the rocks altogether??