HELP!!! I have a billion questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmyRapp

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Columbus, OH
Hi,

new here. In the next week we will be buying our first tortoise. I'm thinking either a Russian or a Hermann's.

We have a friend building a nice tortoise house, in the meantime we will use a large rubbermaid tub.

I'm worried I won't choose the right substrate. This stuff called Zoo Med Excavator clay sounds cool, can that be used safely? If I use that, what else can I use? What is best for the species I've chosen? Where can i find orchid bark?

Lighting, I was thinking of using the zoo med 100 watt UVB AND Heat lamp, the all in one deal, is that a good lighting and heat source?

winter food, during the summer, we have tons of dandelions, flowers, weeds etc, what is best for the winter? I need to give calcium supplements right? Where do I get that? I've seen some horrible photos of pyramiding, so that will be my big fear.......

I read that I'm supposed to soak them twice a week, does that mean just putting a dish of shallow water in his home and just set him in it?

I don't know if I'll find a local breeder, do y'all know of any reputable breeders that ship Russian's or Hermann?

I think that is it for now...... Thanks for your help!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Amy:

When you say "local" where exactly does that mean?

Orchid bark is sometimes a bit hard to find. If you have an Orchard's Supply Hardware store, they sell it. Otherwise, call around to plant nurseries and ask if they carry it.

Cypress mulch is another good one. I've never heard of the substrate you referred to.

The light you referred to is the one I use. I like it.

During the winter I use Spring Mix. Its a mixture of baby greens that you buy pre-packaged in the grocery store. Then to that, I'll add whatever I can find in the yard that's edible.

If you get an adult tortoise, just providing a waterer in the habitat is enough. I don't soak my adult tortoises. But babies should be soaked every day. That means putting them into a bowl with high sides that they can't climb out of and have the water be up to the middle of their sides, where the top meets the bottom (the bridge).

Look through our "for sale" section to see if we have anyone selling them. Also, our advertisers here on the forum sometimes sell Russians and Hermanns.

RonHays

5 Year Member
Oxford, Ms
Welcome Amy! There's a lot of really good people on here that will help you throughout the process of becoming a good tortoise keeper. Listen to them. They have helped me tremendously.

Status
Not open for further replies.