im looking to get two baby Tortoises

what type is more out going?

• Yellow Footed Tortoises (Geochelone denticulata)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

shane1111

5 Year Member
i have a selcata at work that walks around. he is so nice and loves atention.
but the problem is i dont want something that big.
i was thinking a red or yellow foot, or maybe even a cherry head.
i wanted tiny babys. i set up a enclosure thats a black pond liner thats 4' by 2' it has eco earth and im going to mix Zoo Med Excavator clay. im going to have 2 uv lights and 2 heat lamps. and a nice water dish..
is there any other Tortoises that has a verry out going personality?

TKCARDANDCOIN

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
Welcom! Russian torts are a great choice.Very friendly.Good luck,tom.

shane1111

5 Year Member
i live in ri. and i love the black collor. and im not looking for a russians arnt as active as the red foots they act kinda lazy

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Russians are lazy?! they drive me nuts trying to escape and never staying still!

Out of your choices.. Id go greek.. the others are tropical, and like to hide.. dont like the lights..

shane1111

5 Year Member
has any one got any Tortoises from www.theturtlesource.com ? i want to get two 2" to 3" babies.
my boss wants to get me a 5" cherry head but i want some babies so they can grow with me. idk what i should do

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Welcome to the group! What makes you think Russians are lazy? If you are basing your tort personalities off pet store experience, in my opinion that doesn't count because the tort isn't in a large outdoor environment like it needs. Do you have outdoor space? How much? What kind of weather? Budget? Hatchlings are very very fragile. Many don't make it. I highly recommend a tort at least a year old. At a year or even three they have growing left to do. This is something to think for many months about as a tort will outlive you. Make sure you have the means to support a tort for years to come. Have any specific questions? My Russian is very outgoing. More personality than the average dog or cat, and its not just me and my husband that thinks that (everyone that comes over is shocked). I won't support the wild caught tort trade. Its just horrible how they gather them and ship them in crates stacked on top of one another. Most adult Russians will be wild caught (Petco and such), or straight from a breeder they are just a few months old. Sometimes you can find a hold back that is a year or few, look on Craig's List and other pet finder sites, animal shelters, tort rescues, etc, for a Russian who needs a loving home. Redfoots are tougher than Russians because they have a high humidity requirement. If you have a yard and live in a warm climate, a Russian can be very easy as you just make sure your yard is organic and secure and sit out and watch them thrive on weeds!

movealongmosey

5 Year Member
Cincinnati Ohio
I got my redfoot mosey from the turtle source, and I am very pleased. Consider this, torts in general can live for a very long period of time if kept and treated well. So it will ALWAYS be growing with you, but having a hatchling also helps the tort bond with you. To be honest though i think as long as you got food any tort will love ya! :D

shane1111

5 Year Member
i never liked the look of Russians. i live in the north east. its ok for about 3 months for out side. my set up took into account that they need a humid environment. and i work at a small pet store, we keep all are torts in big cages. and i love are red foot.

so should i go with a 3" Yearlings.
do red foots not have a good personality? no one seems to think they r good

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
shane1111 said:
i live in ri. and i love the black collor. and im not looking for a russians arnt as active as the red foots they act kinda lazy

You've gotta' be kidding me! Russians are the busiest, most obnoxious little tortoises they make! Sort of like miniature sulcatas.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I have a Cherry Head Redfoot, and I can't tell you about any other tort, because he is the only tortoise I ever had. He is VERY friendly, and when he sees me, comes out of his hide, and will sit right next to my feet while I read. He is used to my voice, as I talk to him all the time, so he will come to me when he's outside. When he's inside he lives in my living room, where we all interact with him all the time, so if I'm cleaning or vacuuming, he will come out and see what I'm doing, and watch me for the longest time....probably just looking for a hand out. I think he has loads of personality, good looks, and is a wonderful pet.

047-3.jpg

shane1111

5 Year Member
can you set up babies in a natural set up with beding? i want somethig that looks nice and is good for them. the turtle source has Well Started 12 Week Old Juvenile Red Footed Tortoises. would they be a good idea? i take care of baby selcatas at work and havent lost one.

sara

5 Year Member
Wyoming
I am new to the tort world. I have a red Foot. Originally i was planning on a russian, did all my research on it. but then i saw bert. A 3 year old red foot. I wasnt prepared for his kind of care so its been a learning expirence. But what i can tell you is that he is very friendly. He likes to listen to me talk (and even sing!! long as i keep it soft). he likes to sit by me when we are outside.
I think all torts are like us and each has their own personality. But a word of advice from this newby, what ever you decide on, be sure its what you want and get ALL the info. you can get.
they are wonderful pets. but do right by him or her.
I can also tell you that there are fantastic folks on this site that have been EXTREAMLY helpful. they have really put me at ease and have given me tons of support. so with that said, good luck!
Oh i also forgot to mention that i also wanted a little baby, but didnt think i knew enough to go for it. maybe in a few years when i learn more. They are fradgile little things that need all the right kind of care. least with one a little older it is hardier and will give you the chance to learn before taking the big leap with a hatchling.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Shane: It sounds as if you've already made up your mind that you want a red foot tortoise. If that's the case, then get one or two! No one can make this decision for you. The people who keep redfoots really love them, but others who keep other tortoise feel equally as strong about the tortoises that they keep.

There's nothing wrong with whatever kind of tortoise you end up getting. No matter what it is you're going to love it and take good care of it.

So if you want redfoots, get them! No need for a poll.

Esopha

5 Year Member
If personality is a big factor for you, I think you could probably find a hobby breeder or someone like that who knows their tortoises really well and ask for the most outgoing ones.

When I was still going to get a russian, I actually talked with the breeder about which of her torts were most active and most familiar with humans. That fell through, and, like Sara, I saw a RF and fell in love. I definitely plan to talk to the breeder closer to the delivery date about the tort's personality, her favorite foods, etc.

Russians are considered the "puppies" of the tortoise world, but if you really want an outgoing redfoot, a couple of emails might set you on the right track. :)

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
My Russians are no less outgoing than my Redfoots, to be honest. Even my Hingebacks are quite fun and active.

That said, if you want Redfoots, and can accommodate their adult size, go for it. They are such funny little clowns.

If you don't want something as large as a Sulcata, do NOT get a Yellowfoot!!! They get HUGE! Even Redfoots get quite large. I have a female that is pushing 13"-14" now, and have seen one as large as 16", at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.