UVB radiometer - do you have experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bettinge

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Upstate NY
Does anyone have a UVB meter to measure the output of their bulb? I like gagets and would like to get one. The $239 price for a Zoo Med UVB radiometer seems high for a toy.

Are there other cheaper options that still have quality results?

http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog...vapor-bulbs/-/zoo-med-ultraviolet-radiometer/

What do you think of this one? I'm thinking its probably a waste of money. It says nothing about UVB measurements.

http://www.reliabilitydirectstore.c...rdi-ms98.htm?gclid=CK2crcGPoqICFcl25Qodaw2Axg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have no experience with this, but I am interested. If you get one, you have to take lots of readings and share them with us. That second one seems like a good bargain, but only gives you a "UV Index of 1-20". Good for comparison to readings from other sites, but what does UV Index really tell you. The first one seem like a more precise instrument, but so finicky. It says not to compare different bulbs. Isn't that the whole point?

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
Tom said:
It says not to compare different bulbs. Isn't that the whole point?

Yeah, really.... Last thing Zoo Med wants is the populace figuring out that there are cheaper options than their bulbs that put out similar UVB readings LOL. Having that line in there makes everything debatable instead of absolute.

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
So if it says not to compare them because of different spectral power distributions, doesn't that just mean that you need to take readings at several distances? Once you get several distance reads on a bulb you should be able to get a good idea of how much UVB and how well the bulb projects it.

But I thought many people had already gone and done this test with UVB meters already. Isn't that why we recommend MVB brands like T-Rex, Megaray, Powersun, etc?

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
PeanutbuttER said:
So if it says not to compare them because of different spectral power distributions, doesn't that just mean that you need to take readings at several distances? Once you get several distance reads on a bulb you should be able to get a good idea of how much UVB and how well the bulb projects it.

But I thought many people had already gone and done this test with UVB meters already. Isn't that why we recommend MVB brands like T-Rex, Megaray, Powersun, etc?

Your right, the test have been done. But it would be nice to know if a bulb is shot before you replace it just based on time. My bulbs are all off now as its summer time and the torts are outside! I also replace different bulb at different times. I try to keep track of the time on each bulb, but its not always easy.

Like I said, its a gaget. Hard to justify in any other way. I supose if you had many many bulbs, it would be nice to use each to its fullest potential!

Status
Not open for further replies.