im looking to get two baby Tortoises

what type is more out going?

• Yellow Footed Tortoises (Geochelone denticulata)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

shane1111

5 Year Member
thanks guys. Any advice on a natural set up?

and I wanted something 13 to 20 ''. They are so cute when they are big

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
Even with experience taking care of sulcata hatchlings, if I were you, I would choose a yearling over a 3 month old tort. Just less risky. How much space do you have for when the 2 redfoots get huge?

For a natural high humidity set up you want to find plants to go into the substrate. You want to either plant them from seeds or find organic (very tough), and use only organic substrates like the cypress mulch, organic potting soil, moss, etc. I recommend getting the enclosure going for a month or so before you get the torts. You can get the temps and humidity stable, get the plants going, etc. Some people don't use uvb with redfoots. Do the research and see what you think is the right choice. How much heat you need depends on the enclosure size, how much you cover it, room temperatures, etc. You will have to test it out.

Everyone will say that the tort breed they have is the best. My advice is to find somewhere you can interact with some redfoots and see how you like them. I personally would go with a russian over a redfoot for a first time tort owner because of the smaller size and easier housing requirements (such as humidity). That said, with enough research, redfoots are fine for a first time tort owner. The hatchling vs. yearling thing is much more risky.

Do keep in mind there is no reason you need two torts unless that is what you want. Torts aren't friends or mates for life. Another tort is just competition to them. There are a lot of potentials for needing to keep them separate such as bullying (emotional, not just physical), male bullying female, two males fighting, etc. Even two females aren't 100% to get along. Best thing is to have a large enclosure with lots of hides. Keep an eye out to see if they need to be separated. With getting young torts, you aren't even close to 100% on the sexes even if they are temperature sexed. You likely want to avoid a male and female pair unless you have a large herd, where s larger number of females than males does fine. I just wanted to let you know as most people have the misconception that their tort needs a friend...when in fact that second tort may be more likely to cause problems. How they get along when young as clutch mates or whatever doesn't indicate how they will get along when older.

Good luck!

sara

5 Year Member
Wyoming
I definately agree about the humidity factor! I am still working out the kinks for my Bert. But were getting there! I also like to mist him. he hates it, but its better than letting him too dry and i can controll it so he doesnt get too wet. I used to have a desert tort while growing up. She lived happily for years in the back yard. we'd put the hose down for her in the summer and shed drink her fill and eat what ever was back there. then dissapear all winter till next spring. she was great. but my bert! a totally diffrent species and very diffrent needs.

sara

5 Year Member
Wyoming
Jacqui said:
shane1111 said:
so no one likes red foots?

I like RFs (especially the Cherryheads) much more then my Russians.
I love my red foot (bert). hes funny, courious, has attitude, and can be so very cuddly and loveing when he wants too! never complaines and even likes my singing!

Status
Not open for further replies.