Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
What are you using for heating and lighting? Does your tortoise have a UV bulb? Do you know your temperatures?

AlishaT

5 Year Member
Since I read your post earlier about Rusty I couldn't stop thinking of you. How is Rusty doing now? Were you able to get her to eat? I have been reading all of the updates and posts from other members trying to help and I just wanted to add something. I hope that you aren't feeling like others are angry or judging. Every single one of us here has been a first time owner. Some of us were better equipped in the beginning and some (myself included) knew some but the rest we have learned/are learning along the way. As it's been already stated there is so much bad information out there as how to properly care for a Tortoise, or anything for that matter. Trust me when I tell you the best thing you can do right now for Rusty is follow the advice/instructions you are getting from the members of this forum. Each of them has only the best intentions for you and also for Rusty. There are also many members here who have years of experience raising Tortoises and they know exactly what they are talking about. If you can't take Rusty to the Vet we all know how impossible that might be for you. It costs a great deal of money and they can ever be hard to find. The other instructions are very easily obtained as far as money goes. The important thing now is your following the information that has been given and understand that when someone says you need to do it pronto they are saying it needs to be done right then. As others have said, it might be too late for Rusty but she also may pull through. Knowing you did everything you knew could help will put your mind at ease and also you will be in a better position to care for a tortoise when that time comes. I will keep Rusty in my prayers and I hope to hear positive news in the morning.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
To those advocating electrolytic solution soaks-

Electrolyte solutions are basically salt water with a dash of sugar used to treat dehydration. There is little calcium in a typical electrolytic solution- because calcium does not dissolve well in water. Adding calcium to water does not actually make a calcium solution that would be absorbed through the skin in a soak, and if it is drank, the concentration of calcium in the water would not be significant.

The nutritional label for powdered Pediolyte says: "Sodium, mEq: 10.6; Potassium, mEq: 4.7; Chloride, mEq: 8.3; Dextrose, g: 5.7; Calories: 23" (http://pedialyte.com/products/powder-packs). Translated, that means "salt, salt, salt, and sugar." (For more complete nutritional info, try http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/baby-foods/7608/2). Notice that is it not a significant source of most minerals or vitamins and its primary benefit is to help dehydration, not calcium-related medical issues, like this.

This tortoise seems to be suffering from a significant case of Nutritional Secondary Hyperparathyroidism, and the recommended treatment involves injected calcium, vitamin D3, and supportive cares. When the shell is soft in an adult tortoise, it is far past the 'add more calcium to the diet' or 'try warm soaks' stage- the vet should examine the calcium levels in the blood, and if needed, offer calcium injections spread over time, along with other specific cares.

Adding baby food or vitamins and minerals to soak water may help in many health situations. Warm water soaks trigger urination and that triggers drinking- which means they get some nutrients. There is also a small amount of water absorption through the cloaca, and some nutrients MAY be absorbed as well, but they would have to be very tiny particles and calcium is a very big particle most of the time. There is a widely held belief that they will absorb some of the stuff through the skin, but that is simply not true. It would be true for amphibians and fish, but reptile skin is waterproof (a fact listed in nearly every definition of 'reptile' you can find.)

In other words- soaks are a great home treatment for many issues, and may have a good preventative aspect, but in a situation like this they are not much more than putting a Band-aid on a torn-off leg.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I totally agree with Mark's assessment of the problem. Because the RT is an adult, and this case is more than just dehydration, you should see a vet about calcium injections, and vitamin D3 supplements, along with adequate care.

The problem here, Mark, is the the OP is a child, and the parent feels that this child, and the tort, doesn't need anyone's help. There may be nothing we can say or do in this case. The tort will die if it is not taken to a qualified vet. I highly doubt that will happen. But thanks for the information which others can benefit from.

Madkins007 said:
To those advocating electrolytic solution soaks-

Electrolyte solutions are basically salt water with a dash of sugar used to treat dehydration. There is little calcium in a typical electrolytic solution- because calcium does not dissolve well in water. Adding calcium to water does not actually make a calcium solution that would be absorbed through the skin in a soak, and if it is drank, the concentration of calcium in the water would not be significant.

The nutritional label for powdered Pediolyte says: "Sodium, mEq: 10.6; Potassium, mEq: 4.7; Chloride, mEq: 8.3; Dextrose, g: 5.7; Calories: 23" (http://pedialyte.com/products/powder-packs). Translated, that means "salt, salt, salt, and sugar." (For more complete nutritional info, try http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/baby-foods/7608/2). Notice that is it not a significant source of most minerals or vitamins and its primary benefit is to help dehydration, not calcium-related medical issues, like this.

This tortoise seems to be suffering from a significant case of Nutritional Secondary Hyperparathyroidism, and the recommended treatment involves injected calcium, vitamin D3, and supportive cares. When the shell is soft in an adult tortoise, it is far past the 'add more calcium to the diet' or 'try warm soaks' stage- the vet should examine the calcium levels in the blood, and if needed, offer calcium injections spread over time, along with other specific cares.

Adding baby food or vitamins and minerals to soak water may help in many health situations. Warm water soaks trigger urination and that triggers drinking- which means they get some nutrients. There is also a small amount of water absorption through the cloaca, and some nutrients MAY be absorbed as well, but they would have to be very tiny particles and calcium is a very big particle most of the time. There is a widely held belief that they will absorb some of the stuff through the skin, but that is simply not true. It would be true for amphibians and fish, but reptile skin is waterproof (a fact listed in nearly every definition of 'reptile' you can find.)

In other words- soaks are a great home treatment for many issues, and may have a good preventative aspect, but in a situation like this they are not much more than putting a Band-aid on a torn-off leg.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
Where are you maybe one of us can come lend a hand? There are members all over who can help...whether just come take a look, bring supplies, help redo setup, even veterinary help as many of us are veterinary professionals of some sort.

Deb82

5 Year Member
Im so sorry to hear about poor Rusty. All those that uave offered advice are spot on. Please update us on his condition. Im in northern ohio if I can help in anyway.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using TortForum mobile app

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I am confused. You said you have had Rusty since you were 9 but also said you have no money for the right equipment for her???? So, this whole time the tortoise has not had the right lights and everything else ? I know this sounds mean and I am sorry. I just dont understand why you got the tortoise in the first place.....Again, I am sorry. I just do not understand.

I will pray for you and Rusty!

Have you asked your parents for help?

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
Not sure if anyone has said this yet, but be careful of calcium overdose, it can be dangerous for torts who have never really been given calcium before.

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Tom said that ferns are toxic!! Please dont let Rusty eat those anymore!

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Me, too. Thank you Mark for the information. Praying very hard for Rusty. Hoping a TFO member near prayforrusty can go by and outright help Rusty. Where are you located prayforrusty?

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
Praying really does not fix anything, you actually have to do stuff your self, listen to the advice we are giving here.

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
agreed, a prayer is nice and all but you need to TAKE ACTION! you need to do something, otherwise youre wasting your time here and ours as well. youve been given ALL the info you need. do something with it now.

0.1.0 Russian tortoise
0.1.0 Sonoran Desert Tortoise
1.0.0 Bluenose Pit/American Bulldog

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Let's everyone take it easy on "prayforRusty." I believe they are a youngster with limited resources. We all remember what it was like to be young and have to beg mom and dad for every penny we spent on our hobbies.

Our prayers and thoughts are with you and your tortoise, "prayforrusty." I hope it works out for you. Until you can get someone to buy what you need , or give you $$$ to go to the vet, warm the tortoise up to about 85F degrees, day and night, soak it every day in warm water for about 15 minutes. See if you can talk your mom into buying you a couple jars of Gerber strained carrots. You can add a half a jar of the carrots to the soaking water daily. This will get a tiny bit of nutrients into the tortoise. But its main problem is lack of calcium, and you'll need to go to the vet to fix that.

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
I also just wanted to mention that 10 gallons is way too small for a tortoise. That may be something you will want to upgrade along with your other planned upgrades. And I don't know if anyone else mentioned or asked, what UV lighting are you providing?

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Members, I think the OP will not be on here anymore. His father was totally against the PM I sent him yesterday. It wasn't pretty, and he asked me not to get in touch with his son again. Apparently, the dad doesn't think he or Rusty needs any help. Unfortunately, the kid may have been ban from talking with the forum. So, unless Isaiah sends another message, the topic has ended and whatever happens to Rusty will be a mystery.:'(

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
He asked the forum for help.
I am sure that is all you tried to do sibi. Atleast you tried. The poor tortoise is the one suffering. I feel so bad for the poor thing!! :(

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
It is a shame that emotions got the better of the situation.....

I have to agree with Yvonne on this, entirely.

AlishaT

5 Year Member
It's just sad all around. I myself was one of those kids who had a pet they were unable to care for. I think it's important that we as the parents, and primary caretakers of the kids and their pets, are responsible and although the kids are pleading for a new Tortoise the answer quite often should be no. These are not short term pets, quite often they will outlive the owners, most kids can't see that far ahead. Not to offend anyone but this isn't a gerbil we are talking about here.

Status
Not open for further replies.