Help! Do tortoisesource ship pyramiding tortoises?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bibo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
My name is Su. I live in NC
Hello, I have never bought a turtle from online, and I'm worried that they might ship me a turtle with a pyramiding shell. I currently want the youngest baby leo tortoise from thetortoisesource:

The Leopard Tortoise from the site

In the pictures, I see pyramiding forming already :(
If they come with pyramiding, can it vanish overtime?
I heard that once pyramiding starts, it's very hard to stop it.

I know that the pictures aren't the pictures of their current stock, but from those pictures, I'm generalizing that most of their leos are pyramiding.

And since they're very hard to take care of, should I just get a hermanii tortoise instead?

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Pyraming is easy to stop, all you need is good husbandry, make sure the humidity is good and that your providing a good diet and make sure they stay hydrated.

Also not all pryamining is bad, and the tortoise in the picture looks pretty good.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Bibo:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

You are the only one who can make the decision which type tortoise to buy.

Pyramiding (that isn't associated with metabolic bone disease) is only cosmetic. Quite a few people LIKE the look of a pyramided tortoise.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Why must you buy from that one source? There are lots of good leopard breeders here on the site who start their babies right and make sure they are properly hydrated. I hate to name names and accidentally exclude anybody, but if you do a wanted ad I'll bet several forum members will respond to you. Then you don't have to buy from an unknown.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I can understand your concern, and of course them showing it eating a strawberry is not a good sign IMHO. If you are concerned you can always checkout other breeders, we do have quite a few here.

evlinLoutries

5 Year Member
Indonesia
u can stop the pyramiding actually, but u need to gave 'em a really perfect diet and good humidity..:)

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
The Turtle Source and The Tortoise Source are the same things. They're all owned by multiple breeders, Marc Cantos being one of them. Many turtle keepers and some tortoise keepers have bought from them and say that the shipping was bad, sometimes turtles came in sick and disorientated, and that their emails weren't always replied to. Before it used to be a pretty good source for turtles. For some reason it's going downhill. That being said, I agree with Tom. There are plenty of good leopard breeders who raise top quality hatchlings (Tom, you're one of them ;)) and are also rich sources of information and won't leave you hanging.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
tortoises101 said:
The Turtle Source and The Tortoise Source are the same things. They're all owned by multiple breeders, Marc Cantos being one of them. Many turtle keepers and some tortoise keepers have bought from them and say that the shipping was bad, sometimes turtles came in sick and disorientated, and that their emails weren't always replied to. Before it used to be a pretty good source for turtles. For some reason it's going downhill. That being said, I agree with Tom. There are plenty of good leopard breeders who raise top quality hatchlings (Tom, you're one of them ;)) and are also rich sources of information and won't leave you hanging.

You sure your not getting confused?

Cantos owns Turtle Source, which is what the link was to......Not Turtle Shack, or Tortoise Shack, which are resurrections of Turtlesale.com......

EDIT - Just an FYI, but what you're seeing in the pictures is accelrated growth, not Pyramiding.........It will smooth out as the rest of the animal expands with the new growth........This is common with young Tortoises.......

I've sold to Marc, and he is networked with some of the best and brightest Breeders/Keepers out there.......Nothing wrong with his animals, nor his shipping practices........

I will say this though - Don't always go with the best looking website, or the ones who have Forums monopolized.........There are plenty of people out there breeding Leopards - Some of the best have never participated on a Forum or have to advertise - Do your research, and take it from there.......

bigbeaks

10 Year Member!
Bibo said:
Hello, I have never bought a turtle from online, and I'm worried that they might ship me a turtle with a pyramiding shell. I currently want the youngest baby leo tortoise from thetortoisesource:

The Leopard Tortoise from the site

In the pictures, I see pyramiding forming already :(
If they come with pyramiding, can it vanish overtime?
I heard that once pyramiding starts, it's very hard to stop it.

I know that the pictures aren't the pictures of their current stock, but from those pictures, I'm generalizing that most of their leos are pyramiding.

And since they're very hard to take care of, should I just get a hermanii tortoise instead?

If I were buying a leopard tortoise, I would purchase it from Tyler Stewart at tortoisesupply.com. NOT the turtle source! I bought two tortoises there last year and didn't get what I ordered, and I didn't know until a year later because I didn't know what to look for that they were incorrect. There customer service is horrible. They won't reply to e-mails or return phone calls. Now, with that being said I do believe it would be pretty hard to mix up a leopard with another breed. But you would think if they were "good breeders" they wouldn't mix up two different kinds in one order either! Just my experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.