Successfully halting pyramiding

counting

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Canada
Can anyone show me their before and after pictures of successfully halted pyramiding?
My baby tort came to me at about 2.5 months old and had the beginnings of mild pyramiding and I have been working to halt the progression and get smooth shell growth.
I'd love to see other successes!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
This is real pyramiding...he was picked up on a street in downtown Portland and brought to me. Your little tortoise looks great. His name is Knobby and he's trying to be a big Sulcata...feb 2018 112.JPG

counting

5 Year Member
Canada
Oh yes
This is real pyramiding...he was picked up on a street in downtown Portland and brought to me. Your little tortoise looks great. His name is Knobby and he's trying to be a big Sulcata...View attachment 279154
, my baby was only 2.5 months and it was not severe. Just looking for examples of when people managed to halt the process and get smooth growth after a pattern of pyramided growth.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Oh yes

, my baby was only 2.5 months and it was not severe. Just looking for examples of when people managed to halt the process and get smooth growth after a pattern of pyramided growth.
unfortunately, Knobby is not going to have much smooth new growth. It was obvious to me that he had NEVER been in water. He has a pond in his outside pen now and is starting to drink from it. But he has MBD and I've had him for a couple of years now so try as I might...I may have stopped the pyramiding, it will never go away. Your little tort needs a good steady diet, drinking water and humidity...humidity, humidity. He is cute and looks good...good jobfeb 2018 083.JPG feb 2018 164.JPG This is Big Sam. I've had him since he was a hatchling...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, you talk about Knobby then put up pictures of Big Sam. Where's the Knobby pictures?

Jodi Arndt DVM

5 Year Member
Buddy. I am the third owner. He ate only iceberg lettuce for the first 10 years. I have had him for 5 years. The picture of when he was the smallest was from his 2nd owner. She had started to improve his shellIMG_5708.JPGIMG_9010.JPG 10300305_10203846849878933_1236844109422949495_n.jpg

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I would like to see a list of the various methods used to halt the pyramiding, for example, soaking, humid hides, etc. My redfoots are in mud quite often and I believe this helps - also, being covered in moist vegetation as they would be in "the wild".