Help!! Diet question!

Status
Not open for further replies.

saukee9

5 Year Member
I have a new Russian young adult tortoise and I have been feeding him hand picked dandelions and romaine lettuce. Now I read that the dandelions are not good for him. Have I been hurting him? What is the best things to give that I can get at the grocery store. The nearest pet store is about 45 minutes away. I just got some calcium and vitamin D powder today to help.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
You just don't want a diet heavy in dandelions, and lettuce is not good nutritional wise. I feed my russians (3) a wide variety of stuff, including but not limited to dandelion leaves and flowers, hibiscus leaves and flowers, grape leaves, radish tops, nastriums leaves and flowers, artichoke leaves, various squash leaves and flowers.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hi....when you say you are feeding him dandelions? do you mean strictly the flower or are you meaning the dark green leaves? The leaves provide a great source of vitamin A which is a very important vitamin for tortoises...I would just not pull the whole plant (heavy stem and roots are not the best part, but the dark green part of the rosette leaves are a good food (should of course not be the only green they get :p ) the yummy yellow flowers should be the treat...

You can find your local health food store that sales produce and get a huge variety of dark red/purple leaf lettuce as well...but you can also get organic herbs etc. You can also buy a bag of bird seed and plant that in some pots and grow your own natural food (if you have a large outdoor area, you can distribute the seeds and water em to get the same result but on a larger scale)...grown is always better than store/grocery goodies though...and that is strictly strictly my opinion :p

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
You just need a more varied diet. Nothing is wrong with dandelions and romaine, it just should not be the only thing you are feeding..

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi saukee9:

I don't believe you've ever told us your name or where you are?

Dandelion isn't a bad food. Its really quite healthful. The problem is when you feed that to the exclusion of everything else.

Are you able to get the tortoise outside for some sun and grazing?

saukee9

5 Year Member
Thank you! Sorry, my name is Becky. I live in Illinois. I am able to get him outside in the natural sunlight, as well as using a 5.0 uvb bulb. I am feeding Boris the dandelion leaves as well as the flowers along with romaine, red leaf and green leaf lettuce. I have also given him 1/2 a cherry tomato and some small zucchini circles once a week. Do you recommend the calcium dust without phosphorous by Fluker's, that's what I bought. I soak him every morning and he goes to the bathroom. We love him and we are trying to take the best care possible for him!!! :D

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I bet you get some yummy juicy weeds there :p From what you say it sounds good....you might find some weeds that are good and that would help to balance out what you are already doing....

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
if he is outside, dont give him Vit D.
try spring mix salad for some variety. broadleaf weeds. mallow, and what DMMJ mentioned above.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Make sure their are no pesticide being used where or near where he grazes.

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
I'm gonna get slammed for this... get hold of some Mazuri, T-rex tortoise diet, Pretty pets or Monster tortoise diet.

Dandilions are great but not as a single food source. Plantain and Thistle are a good 'natural' source.

saukee9 said:
Thank you! Sorry, my name is Becky. I live in Illinois. I am able to get him outside in the natural sunlight, as well as using a 5.0 uvb bulb. I am feeding Boris the dandelion leaves as well as the flowers along with romaine, red leaf and green leaf lettuce. I have also given him 1/2 a cherry tomato and some small zucchini circles once a week. Do you recommend the calcium dust without phosphorous by Fluker's, that's what I bought. I soak him every morning and he goes to the bathroom. We love him and we are trying to take the best care possible for him!!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.