Help can’t get habitat to right temp

Hicksfam

Location (City and/or State)
Denver, CO
Hello,
We just got a Russian tortoise. We got the terrarium set up from the reptile store we bought him from. It is a 40 gallon tank. We have a heat pad for 10-20gallons (what the guy said we needed) and we have a 2 dome lamp with a 150 watt night heat bulb and 150 watt ceramic heat emitter. We also have a UVB lamp. The max temp we are getting is 84 degrees. I am wondering what can be done to help get to temp up and maintain the temp. Would wrapping the back and sides of the tank with blankets or towels help? Can anyone suggest anything?

EllyMae

Shellman, GA
Does it have solid top? The easiest way to maintain temp and humidity is to have a solid top.
Also, have a humid hide. Create micro-climates for your little one.

Hicksfam

Denver, CO
It doesn’t have a solid top. It is a screened top. But I am really confused because the guy a the reptile store said the humidity should be below 30% for our guy. I haven’t measured him but he is not a baby. His shell is hardened. I just know the temp is too low.

Attachments

• 49C8235F-88EE-4E6D-B927-94F673E9F93D.jpeg
    49C8235F-88EE-4E6D-B927-94F673E9F93D.jpeg
    153.5 KB · Views: 16

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
It doesn’t have a solid top. It is a screened top. But I am really confused because the guy a the reptile store said the humidity should be below 30% for our guy. I haven’t measured him but he is not a baby. His shell is hardened. I just know the temp is too low.
Lots of places that sell tortoises really have no idea on what to actually do. They probably just Googled it and got all old info that shouldn't be used anymore, but they are spreading that info to all their customers ?

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
even if hes not a baby, its still a good caresheet to follow. Also, a 40 gallon isn't near big enough for those guys. They like to roam a lot and require a lot of space. Also, I che works as your night time heat, you don't need a night time lamp. Especially if its one of those red light ones. Those make the tortoise want to eat the substrate which is never good. There are a lot of things that petstore person really steered you wrong ?
Look at at all the caresheets here and if you can return most of that and get your money back. The people here will tell you exactly want you need and the info is coming from people who have dealt specifically with tortoises for decades

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city

Read this ? it'll tell you all about your babies needs

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Hello,
We just got a Russian tortoise. We got the terrarium set up from the reptile store we bought him from. It is a 40 gallon tank. We have a heat pad for 10-20gallons (what the guy said we needed) and we have a 2 dome lamp with a 150 watt night heat bulb and 150 watt ceramic heat emitter. We also have a UVB lamp. The max temp we are getting is 84 degrees. I am wondering what can be done to help get to temp up and maintain the temp. Would wrapping the back and sides of the tank with blankets or towels help? Can anyone suggest anything?
Either your CHE isn't working correctly or you have it mounted too high. A 150 watt CHE should be more than enough to heat a 40 gallon.

franklin444

U.S.A
You need to get a bigger enclosure asap. Also 84 degrees is way too cold. 30 percent humidity is also not good they need it to be 55-60 percent.

Hicksfam

Denver, CO
even if hes not a baby, its still a good caresheet to follow. Also, a 40 gallon isn't near big enough for those guys. They like to roam a lot and require a lot of space. Also, I che works as your night time heat, you don't need a night time lamp. Especially if its one of those red light ones. Those make the tortoise want to eat the substrate which is never good. There are a lot of things that petstore person really steered you wrong ?
Look at at all the caresheets here and if you can return most of that and get your money back. The people here will tell you exactly want you need and the info is coming from people who have dealt specifically with tortoises for decades
It is the blue light one. I don’t like the red any way lol. With the issues I’m having with heat I don’t want to take any of the heat away.

Hicksfam

Denver, CO
Thanks for all of your help!! We got the heat where it needs to be. We had it too close to the ac vent and didn’t realize that. New question though where is the best place to place the thermometer to get the most accurate reading?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks for all of your help!! We got the heat where it needs to be. We had it too close to the ac vent and didn’t realize that. New question though where is the best place to place the thermometer to get the most accurate reading?
Hello and welcome. Pet stores are infamous for giving the wrong info and selling the wrong products. Some of them are just ignorant and don't know any better, and others straight out lie to people to make a sale. Its not your fault, but you've been given the wrong info and you bought the wrong products.

Russians don't need night heat, and in most US homes, they don't need ambient heat either. You don't need either of those bulbs he sold you. You need an incandescent basking bulb set on a timer.

Heat mats should never be used under tortoises in indoor enclosures. Its dangerous and ineffective.

You need a digital thermometer from the hardware store. They cost about $12 and record the daily highs, lows and humidity. Move it around the enclosure to check your temps all over. Don't mount it in one place. Most of what you need will be found at the hardware store and not the pt store.

All tortoise species benefit from moderate humidity. Even the ones that come from arid regions protect themselves from the desiccation by finding or creating little humid microclimates and resting there for long periods. 30% is way too low. 50-70% would be ideal.

Russian tortoises need a lot of room in their enclosures (Not loose in the house or yard) to roam around. A 40 would be adequate for a 15 gram hatchling, but its WAAAAYYYY too small for a 5-7 inch adult. They need something around 4x8 feet.

Please take a few minutes to read this and learn what your tortoise really needs to survive and thrive: