Bad day for baby.

Lori lawson

Location (City and/or State)
Desert hot springs,ca
Omg. Is this The Tom I keep reading about? Please help me. If my enclosure is an open aquarium and flooring is zoomed forest floor. I have a dual dome with two uvb lights. The other is a single 100 watt heat emitter. What is the best way to measure temp and humidity and at what level in aquarium do I measure it my hide is a rock cave I keep right next to heat lamp. It would appear that I need to dump a whole lot of water in my tank to get humidity up to 80%. I read your posts. Great info. I am separating my torts. Am very sad that two were recomended

Last edited:

Lori lawson

Desert hot springs,ca
How do I send private post?
Hey Tom. I ordered an infrared temp gun but am not sure of why I need a remote probe thermometer? But if I do then which one do I need. And should I have several thermometers attached to inside aquarium and if so should they be at or just above ground level? Sorry so many questions but I got steered in the wrong direction and am spending lots of $$ trying to fix it.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
How do I send private post?
To send a private post, you find the person's profile, then click on "start a conversation." You can find his profile by clicking on his name next to one of his posts.

If you want him to see your posts, you need to use the @ symbol in front of his name. Like if I put @Lori lawson on here, you will get a notification.

You probably don't need to discuss this privately since any help he provides may help others with the same questions.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Like Big Charlie said, I'll send @Tom an alert to make sure he reads your cry for help. ;)

Or move your mouse up to the right corner of the screen to your 'inbox' and from the drop down menu click 'start a new conversation.' Then when the next screen comes up put Tom's name in the 'To' space.

I don't like those dual dome fixtures. And you only need one UVB light, not two. The reason I don't like them is because the dome is too small. Plus I want two fixtures, one at either end. Can't have that with the dual dome. I have a UVB light sort of in the middle and another fixture for some sort of heat at one end. I use a black light, but you can use a ceramic heat emitter instead.

Lori lawson

Desert hot springs,ca
Like Big Charlie said, I'll send @Tom an alert to make sure he reads your cry for help. ;)

Or move your mouse up to the right corner of the screen to your 'inbox' and from the drop down menu click 'start a new conversation.' Then when the next screen comes up put Tom's name in the 'To' space.

I don't like those dual dome fixtures. And you only need one UVB light, not two. The reason I don't like them is because the dome is too small. Plus I want two fixtures, one at either end. Can't have that with the dual dome. I have a UVB light sort of in the middle and another fixture for some sort of heat at one end. I use a black light, but you can use a ceramic heat emitter instead.
So should I have uvb at one end of enclosure and heat at other? Right now I have uvb right next to my heat emitter. Why do you use a black light?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Here's my set up:

Christmas tree bin-2.jpg

My UVB light is in the middle. I use black lights instead of CHE because they're cheaper to run. The 60 watt black lights are in the fixtures at either end. Then a sheet of plastic is draped over the whole thing. Because my house is always a bit cold, I leave the black lights on day and night, but if your house isn't real cool, you would only use the black light or CHE at night.

Lori lawson

Desert hot springs,ca
Here's my set up:

View attachment 192733

My UVB light is in the middle. I use black lights instead of CHE because they're cheaper to run. The 60 watt black lights are in the fixtures at either end. Then a sheet of plastic is draped over the whole thing. Because my house is always a bit cold, I leave the black lights on day and night, but if your house isn't real cool, you would only use the black light or CHE at night.
Do you keep the hide moist? And how warm should hide be at nite?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That hide is stuffed with moist sphagnum moss. Because of the moisture, it shouldn't get below 80F

Lori lawson

Desert hot springs,ca
Here's my set up:

View attachment 192733

What type of uvb light do you use? What wattage

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Do you have the bag or name of what you have?

I bought mine at a plant nursery. It was dehydrated and compressed into a brick. I'll see if I can find the remaining package. . .

No. I guess I've tossed it. But this is what it looks like:

sphagnum moss.jpg

I really like the Mercury Vapor Bulb (MVB) for the desert-type baby tortoises. I buy the 100 watt. It looks like this:

mercury vapor bulb.jpg

Lori lawson

Desert hot springs,ca
I bought mine at a plant nursery. It was dehydrated and compressed into a brick. I'll see if I can find the remaining package. . .

No. I guess I've tossed it. But this is what it looks like:

View attachment 192745

I really like the Mercury Vapor Bulb (MVB) for the desert-type baby tortoises. I buy the 100 watt. It looks like this:

View attachment 192746
Thank you so much!!