Rosey needs your help...again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosey

5 Year Member
Hello again! Rosey has been a much hungrier and happier tortoise the past few days..we got the ambient temperature in her terrarium up to 80 degrees and also got a 75 watt basking light. Here is the problem. For those of you who haven't read my posts Rosey is a red foot I've had for a little over a week now and she is in a glass terrarium (I know this is not ideal but it will have to do for now) anyhow its a large terrarium (40 gal). Anyhow I have 2 150 watt ceramic heaters a 75 watt basking lamp AND and under tank heater and I'm still struggling to get it over 80 ambient and I'm barely at 90 for a basking spot. Anyone have any suggestions? I can't heat this enclosure for her so I don't know how I could possibly heat a tortoise box or anything else. I think I will return the 75 watt bulb tomorrow and upgrade to the 150watt basking light. The guy at the pet store told me to use flood lights from home depot but that didn't seem like that good of an idea to me since we also have to worry about nighttime temp. Without the basking light on the 2 ceramics and the under tank heater keep Rosey pretty close to 80. ( every time I mist the temp drops for a while and I am misting several times a day). Anyhow I would very much appreciate any suggestions anyone could give. Thanks!

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
have far away are they ? you have 375 watt on a 40 gal and it is only 80 what is the temp in your house ?what are you using to measure the temps?

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
not sure if you said it and I missed it but is the tank covered? that may help keep heat as well as moisture in so you have to mist less. Like Corey asked, how far the CHE and basking bulb are from the substrate is good to know. You can use a lamp stand (if not already) and just adjust the distance by allowing it to hang lower therefore providing more heat.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I have my little Cherry in a 40 gal. breeder tank, and only a 100 wt. CHE and a long tube UVB and the temp. is always in the high 80's. I can't believe that you have two 250 wt. CHE. for a 40 gal and you can't reach 80. I have two 100 wt CHE in a 75 gal. and the temp is always in the high 80's too. Both my viv's are covered with a small opening for the UVB. Maybe you need to cover the tank.

oscar

10 Year Member!
Illinois
for me which has helped I took 1/2 "Styrofoam insulation and have it under my tank except where my under tank heater is also have it around the outside of tank 4" tall it keeps peanut from being able to see thru tank. If you cover part of the top of tank make sure you monitor the temperature. I have a temperature controller set to turn on and off my CHE set between 80 on and 84 degrees off. Even tho the temperature controller is kind of pricy it gives me a peace of mind that peanuts tank is at least in the temperature range that I want.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Two things:

First, a question. Do you have the lamps at an angle? That will affect the heat, too... If they're at an angle, more heat will just be reflected off and away from the enclosure, reducing their efficiency. If you can arrange it so the bulbs are pointing straight down, especially if you can cover all the enclosure except where the lamps are with plexiglass or something similar to hold in the heat, I think you'll find that you don't need that much.

Second, I can't believe I'm saying this, but you should take the pet store guy's advice on the bulb... The "reptile basking bulbs" you find at the pet store are nothing more than regular spot bulbs like you find at the home improvement stores. The only difference is that someone slapped the word "Reptile" on the label and hiked the price up big time. Same deal with the "Day" and "Night" bulbs... Just regular household incandescent light bulbs with a colored coating and a big price tag. I actually heat two of my bearded dragons and, when I had them, both tortoises with regular ol' household light bulbs. Works just as well as the rip-off $10 "reptile basking bulbs" I used back when I got my first beardie.

Just my $.02. Good luck. :)

Rosey

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone so much for your help. I added a daytime basking light and covered one corner of the tank. My ambient temp is now 85 and my basking spot 88 so tomorrow I will try the combo of just a ceramic heater and the basking bulb...I'm really trying to get ambient of 80 and basking no warmer than 95. The bulbs point straight down and are about 20 inches from her... I realize its a tall terraarium. I'm going to also build her substrate up a little so she is closer to the heaters then I think less will be needed. She was so happy with the warmth today though she stayed out most of the day and had her first non runny poo today... who ever thought id be happy about tortoise poo...lol. she was very alert and moving quite quickly today when we let her roam around. Is 85 and 98 to warm for her?

Edit my current temps are 85 ambient and basking 98... I put 88 in the previous post.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Rosey said:
Thanks everyone so much for your help. I added a daytime basking light and covered one corner of the tank. My ambient temp is now 85 and my basking spot 88 so tomorrow I will try the combo of just a ceramic heater and the basking bulb...I'm really trying to get ambient of 80 and basking no warmer than 95. The bulbs point straight down and are about 20 inches from her... I realize its a tall terraarium. I'm going to also build her substrate up a little so she is closer to the heaters then I think less will be needed. She was so happy with the warmth today though she stayed out most of the day and had her first non runny poo today... who ever thought id be happy about tortoise poo...lol. she was very alert and moving quite quickly today when we let her roam around. Is 85 and 98 to warm for her?

Edit my current temps are 85 ambient and basking 98... I put 88 in the previous post.
[/quot

If you are using a 75 watt at 20" that is to far you could move it down to 12" but check the temp and then adjust up or down to get the temp you need Can you post some pic's of your setup?

jrholls

5 Year Member
Maine
I'm happy every time I see a big green tortoise poo :)

Rosey

5 Year Member
Well Rosey is a happy tortoise. I changed the substrate (added a base layer of rock and then that expandable coconut dirt and finally mulch fir bark and moss on top of that.) I was able ti build it up so that she is only 14 inches from the heaters now and during the day 1 150 watt basking bulb keeps the whole tank a wonderful 80 and a basking spot just over 90. And at night I turn the basking bulb off and my two ceramic heaters keep it 80. She is in the basement which is the coolest room in the house. I'm sure its below 60 down there which is why I was having so many heating problems. But everything seems to be better now. I love my Rosey!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Holy cow! That's a lot of electricity going into a 40 gallon tank. Let me guess. All your lights are resting on top of a screen, right? That screen is blocking a percentage of your heat. If you remove it and hang the light fixtures either from the ceiling or lamp stands, you'll be able to use much lower wattage bulbs and just move them closer. Often I use 35 watt "regular" bulbs and get 100+ degree basking spots by lowering them down. (100+ for sulcatas, NOT redfoots)

If there is any way possible you need to get your tropical tort out of that cold basement and into a warmer room. Covering as much of the top of the tank as you can will also hold in more heat and humidity.

Status
Not open for further replies.