Help!! (baby sleeps all the time)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lkwagner

5 Year Member
I have a 1.5 year old sulcata and I have never had any problems! I bought this little baby yesterday from the Michigan reptile show and it seemed so healthy, walking around and very active. The guy I got him from has had them the past 2 months and told me he got them from a guy in Arizona that bread over 1000 last year.
Since this little baby has been home all he's done is sleep! I have a basking light and heat light on him and all he wants to do is sleep on his hide and even in his bath! I need some suggestions to help this little baby! Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• image-995550868.png
    image-995550868.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 49

mctlong

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SF Valley, SoCal
Awww, poor little guy. I hope he's not sick. Sulcata babies sleep alot.Thats normal. However, when they are awake, they should be be very active. If the little baby is lethargic when its awake, then it may be sick.

Is he eating and pooping daily?

The first thing to check with an inactive baby is the temps. You already have a juvenile sully, so you're not new at this, but you should still confirm that the temps in the enclosure are warm enough. The basking side of the enclosure should be at least 100 degrees and the cool side should be around 80 degrees.

The next thing I'd check, if I were you, is hydration. Soak your little hatchling one to three times daily in warm water. Make sure there's a shallow water dish in his enclosure so he can drink when he needs to and make sure to keep his humidity levels moderately high. These are all very important for maintaining hydration. If you don't have a humid hide already, I'd recommend one. Here's a fantastic care sheet on sulcata hatchlings to help you out:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-63788.html#axzz1y6gfMklV

Please keep us posted on his progress. I always worry when I don't hear updates.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Please give us a little more info. Temps, humidity, substrate, diet, how often you soak. If you are using a coil light, get rid of it, they cause eye problems. Toms threads below will help a lot on correct housing. Answer the above and we will be able to help more. Also, they do need time to get adjusted to their new surroundings.

lkwagner

5 Year Member
Temp is around 80 on the cool side, and 115 on the hot side. I use coco fiber for the substrate and it is very moist. I give it warm soaks 3 times a day and I have fed it a little kale and a little cactus pad and a little romaine lettuce. I only saw it eat a little yesterday when I got it home.
This all happened so fast, the tort was very active when I got it home yesterday morning and last night it started to become very sluggish and wouldn't even open its eyes for me no matter what I did. When I woke up this morning I immediately went to check on it and unfortunately it was acting the same way. The poor little baby hardly opened its eyes when I have it a warm soak and I haven't even seen it take a step this morning :(
Any advice would help, I really don't want to lose this lil baby :(

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Where are you located? Is it possible to get it some natural sunshine? Sometimes that can perk them up, only if the outside temperature is warm enough though.

lkwagner

5 Year Member
I'm located in Michigan so I won't be able to take it outside for a couple months at least :(

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
He sounds very sick. I hope he pulls through. Keep him warm and hydrated.

I wish I had more advise to give. Some people have had luck getting nutrients into sick babies by soaking their hatchings in a shallow dish with baby food. I've never tried this myself.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
What kind of light do you have on the enclosure? I used this one for the little Sulcata that I took care of recently. http://www.arcatapet.com/item.cfm?cat=17847

As soon as I turned it on his was running all over the place. I also had a 150 watt heat emitter on him at night. I kept the enclosure at around 85 to 90 degrees and he did quite well with that. I fed him spring mix and some cactus and also fed Kale. I only soaked him once a day though for about 30 minutes. [/i]

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I take it you don't have a coil light, correct. You didn't say. If you do, get it out asap. You may also want to try what is listed in the link I am enclosing http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-41739.html I would bump the 80 up to 85. Keep him warm and try the warm baby food soaks. Mostly recommended is puréed baby food carrots. Good luck and keep us posted.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Sounds like you have everything right. I would bump the cool side up to 85-90. Try. The baby food soak.

lkwagner

5 Year Member
Hopefully this is a good sign :)

And hopefully this helps :)

Attachments

• image-2638689107.png
    image-2638689107.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 45
  • image-3113308173.png
    image-3113308173.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 43
  • image-889343993.png
    image-889343993.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 45
  • image-1208766524.png
    image-1208766524.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 34

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
A very good sign! Its nice to see his eyes open. What is that? Pumpkin? Keep doing what you're doing! :)

lkwagner

5 Year Member
Yes it is pumpkin, I know I shouldn't give him a lot by my main priority was to just get him to eat something :) and it worked!

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
lkwagner said:
Yes it is pumpkin, I know I shouldn't give him a lot by my main priority was to just get him to eat something :) and it worked!

The way I see it, a sick baby can eat whatever a sick baby wants. Pumpkin is far better than an empty belly. You're doing a great job!

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Looks like things are going better. Id still keep close eye on him. Perhaps he was just adjusting? Or just not feeling good. So happy to see him munching...

lkwagner

5 Year Member
Good news! I think I was just a paranoid mom ;)

Attachments

• image-3274478670.png
    image-3274478670.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 27
  • image-3097070212.png
    image-3097070212.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 23
  • image-1202007208.png
    image-1202007208.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 21
Status
Not open for further replies.