• Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Baby sulcata won’t eat

Josh1409

Location (City and/or State)
America
Got my baby sulcata a week ago and would only eat a little bit just like a bite of cucumber a bite of grass from outside and some broccoli and the temperature is right I soak it every 2 days tried to do baby food soaks with 100% carrot and nothing is working it sleeps all the time unless it’s out side when I bring it out it walks every where then once I bring it back in to it’s enclosure it walks to it’s hide and then goes to sleep and when I have food in there it walks over it and just ignores the food what should I do I really want to help it I’ve tried so many veggies and fruit but it won’t budge to eat please help.

Markw84

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Welcome, Josh. Sorry noone has answered yet, but you have given us nothing to work from...

First off, where are you located? We have the place to put your location in your information with your avatar as where you are located gives us very important information to know what climate, angle of sun, photoperiod, you are dealing with and have to compensate for in trying to provide for your tortoise.

Almost always, a tortoise refusing food is a tortoise that is not being provided the proper "climate" which includes the things above, but also suitable enclosure with suitable hides and security.

If you give us details and pictures of your enclosure, it is easier to focus in on things that are contributing to your problem. You say the temperature is right, but what is right to you? What is the temperature of the coldest corner of the enclosure, the temperature of the main enclosure, the temperature of the basking area, and the overnight low in the enclosure? What is the humidity? What type of substrate. Is the enclosure barren or are there natural places for the tortoise to hide and feel secure? Etc, etc.

Have you read the thread on how to raise a healthy sulcata? That is a great starting place.

Reactions: Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Got my baby sulcata a week ago and would only eat a little bit just like a bite of cucumber a bite of grass from outside and some broccoli and the temperature is right I soak it every 2 days tried to do baby food soaks with 100% carrot and nothing is working it sleeps all the time unless it’s out side when I bring it out it walks every where then once I bring it back in to it’s enclosure it walks to it’s hide and then goes to sleep and when I have food in there it walks over it and just ignores the food what should I do I really want to help it I’ve tried so many veggies and fruit but it won’t budge to eat please help.
In addition to Mark's questions, where did you get the tortoise and how was it started as a new hatchling? What type of heating and lighting equipment are you using? Got UV? What type of bulb?

We'll try to help.