Help! 2 sick Leopard Tortoises

KrisW

Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas
Hello! I just got 2 baby Leopard tortoises 8 days ago. They are about 1 month to 6 weeks old. Since I got them they barely open their eyes. After a few days I asked the pet store if this was normal and they assured me it was. In the next several days they stopped eating, became lethargic, and never open their eyes. I took them to a vet who gave them antibiotic shots and vitamin shots. That was yesterday and they are still the same today. Not eating and barely respond even to soaking. They have heat lamps and UVB lamp, big enough enclosure and I think the temp is about right. I just wish there was something else I could do. Or if anyone has had this experience and what the outcome was...I feel terrible...any advise is appreciated

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Could you show a picture of your enclosure and tell us exactly what the temps are.. were the babies like this when you bought them or became this way after getting them home? Often tortoises are started too dry and kidneys eventually fail... Pet stores are known for poor husbandry and incorrect information. Are you aware that two tortoises should never be kept together? Check out the care sheets in the African tortoise section and see if that helps...

KrisW

Las Vegas
They were more active the first few days but still didn’t really open eyes.

KrisW

Las Vegas
I don’t know temps. Feels warm. I’ve been covering it at night to keep it warm

KrisW

Las Vegas
Just used a forehead thermometer near them and it said 95.9 not sure how accurate that is though. The substrate is “ Forrest floor” one. Pet store said they were good in pairs ?‍♀️

Happytort27

CA
You should switch your substrate to fine grade orchid bark because it’s less messy and retains the humidity well. You might also want to cover the top of the tank with plexiglass or something to trap the heat and humidity in. I can’t see exactly if you have a screen with holes in it from the angle of the picture, but if you do, make sure to put a solid lid on top. Keep up with the daily soaks. Like @EllieMay said, sometimes hatchlings are started too dry which will affect them in the long run. Sorry, I don’t have leopard tortoises and I’m new to the forum so it’ll be hard for me to give you advice...
In the meantime read the article @Tom wrote about these species. I don't know if it'll help in your case, but’s it’s very informative and it might have some tips to help you.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello! I just got 2 baby Leopard tortoises 8 days ago. They are about 1 month to 6 weeks old. Since I got them they barely open their eyes. After a few days I asked the pet store if this was normal and they assured me it was. In the next several days they stopped eating, became lethargic, and never open their eyes. I took them to a vet who gave them antibiotic shots and vitamin shots. That was yesterday and they are still the same today. Not eating and barely respond even to soaking. They have heat lamps and UVB lamp, big enough enclosure and I think the temp is about right. I just wish there was something else I could do. Or if anyone has had this experience and what the outcome was...I feel terrible...any advise is appreciated
Sorry. Looks like you got bad info and bad products from the pet store. Then you found a vet that did all the worse stuff.

They need night heat. Covering the top does very little. That only works for animals that generate their own heat.

Read the thread from Happytort. That will explain everything that you need to do.

KrisW

Las Vegas
Sorry. Looks like you got bad info and bad products from the pet store. Then you found a vet that did all the worse stuff.

They need night heat. Covering the top does very little. That only works for animals that generate their own heat.

Read the thread from Happytort. That will explain everything that you need to do.
They’re not supposed to get vitamin or antibiotics shots?

KrisW

Las Vegas

Also, what’s the best way to provide night heat?

Happytort27

CA
You can use a CHE (ceramic heat emitter). It doesn't give off any light, but it does give off heat so their enclosure won't get too cold.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
No. No vitamins.
And no antibiotic shots unless there's a reason.....It isn't just some general cure or a prophylactic.
You need to get another vet.
This one is experimenting on your tortoises.
Your lighting is likely why there is an eye issue. You seem to have one or two spiral, compact florescent bulbs.
And the temperature has likely caused other issues.
I'm also seriously thinking that these guys were not well started and healthy when you got them.
The seller, the products you purchased and your vet have all contributed to this. In all likelihood.

I do hope that they pull through.

KrisW

Las Vegas
You should switch your substrate to fine grade orchid bark because it’s less messy and retains the humidity well. You might also want to cover the top of the tank with plexiglass or something to trap the heat and humidity in. I can’t see exactly if you have a screen with holes in it from the angle of the picture, but if you do, make sure to put a solid lid on top. Keep up with the daily soaks. Like @EllieMay said, sometimes hatchlings are started too dry which will affect them in the long run. Sorry, I don’t have leopard tortoises and I’m new to the forum so it’ll be hard for me to give you advice...
In the meantime read the article @Tom wrote about these species. I don't know if it'll help in your case, but’s it’s very informative and it might have some tips to help you.
Thank you ?

KrisW

Las Vegas
You can use a CHE (ceramic heat emitter). It doesn't give off any light, but it does give off heat so their enclosure won't get too cold.
Ok great. From what I’m reading I think it’s possible the spiral uvb light has burned their eyes. I will get the CHE tomorrow hopefully I can find one in stock. What about the “daytime heat lamp” bulbs safe for daytime? Or can you just use the CHE and natural light ? Thank you so much for your time !!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No. Their little tiny baby systems can't handle it, and this is the clear and obvious mark of a vet that doesn't know what he/she is doing. Your baby isn't vitamin deficient, and it isn't showing signs of respiratory disease, so why shoot it up with harsh antibiotics and vitamins that it doesn't need.

What the vet SHOULD have done, if they know tortoise care, is discover and correct the CAUSE of the sickness. In this case I think it is cold night temps and possible eye irritation from the wrong bulbs. The other possibility is that these babies were started in the typical wrong dry fashion, and the dehydration is taking its toll. The stress of living together as a pair isn't helping.

Aequor

Europe
Hey. I had eye problem with my leopard at first, enclosure was too dry, but after soak it was fine so I guess that's not it. I hope it's the lamp and it'll all be good. I think you have a big enough enclosure to keep them both together for now. When they get bigger is when problems can really start with it. Good luck!

KrisW

Las Vegas
Update! I got rid of the UV light, got some orchid bark, and started soaking them 2x daily and one of the torts looks fully recovered. Eating, drinking and alert with eyes open. The other one is a little better but eyes are still mostly closed. Today I saw the bigger one trying to attack the smaller one:( I'm wondering if its not getting better because of this. Ive separated them but honestly cannot imagine having time or room to raise 2 torts separately between work and kids. I really wish I had known they weren't good in pairs.... So not sure what to do. Don't want to give back to pet store as that's where they got a bad start. Is there a place on this forum to see if anyone is nearby and would like to try and see if the little one will get better on its own? Free of course, just want to make sure it will be treated right.
Any other ideas are welcome?

ISU

South Korea
I brought in a sick leopard 3 months ago(Poop problem) Sincerely hope they get better

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Update! I got rid of the UV light, got some orchid bark, and started soaking them 2x daily and one of the torts looks fully recovered. Eating, drinking and alert with eyes open. The other one is a little better but eyes are still mostly closed. Today I saw the bigger one trying to attack the smaller one:( I'm wondering if its not getting better because of this. Ive separated them but honestly cannot imagine having time or room to raise 2 torts separately between work and kids. I really wish I had known they weren't good in pairs.... So not sure what to do. Don't want to give back to pet store as that's where they got a bad start. Is there a place on this forum to see if anyone is nearby and would like to try and see if the little one will get better on its own? Free of course, just want to make sure it will be treated right.
Any other ideas are welcome?
Aggression can begin at any time and it can be subtle or bloody and obvious.
Separation is required.
Buying a pair because we are concerned that only owning one would make it lonely is a very common beginning mistake.
I'm glad that you've discontinued the harsh lighting.
My recommendation would be to use a CHE for warmth and a strip florescent for UVB. As in the photos.
It requires spending even more money. But it's what you need.
And as both Tom and I have recommend, don't go back to that vet.

Attachments

• 20200219_145404.jpg
    20200219_145404.jpg
    597.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 20200131_082139.jpg
    20200131_082139.jpg
    751.7 KB · Views: 7