hello!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nutmegs21

5 Year Member
My husband and I just got a 55 gallon tank from craigslist for a whole ten dollars. Unfortunately its not water tight. So we were thinking of using it as housing for a baby tortoise of some type! We have no idea what kind or if this is even a good idea, so I joined to do some research! We live in Eastern Wa for now, but may be moving to Western Wa in a couple of weeks. This would be a first tortoise for us both, but we have been successful in keeping other animals. We have two cats, a dog, fish and a hedgehog. Any advice or ideas on what to keep and how to keep it are appreciated!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi nutmegs21:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

An aquarium would be fine for a baby tortoise, however, you have to think long term.

They only stay babies for a year or so, then the have to be graduated to an outdoor pen. Yes, you can keep an adult tortoise in the house, but in my opinion, they need to be outside.

A good beginner tortoise would be a Russian (Agrionemys horsefieldii). But you won't be able to find a baby one. Chances are you'd have to get an already grown Russian tortoise, and they need a lot of space.

Take a look through our archives and see all the different types of tortoise and how our members have them set up before you let that aquarium lure you into something you may be sorry for later.

What would you like us to call you?

nutmegs21

5 Year Member
Megan works.

And I know it is a temporary enclosure. We will be renting for another year and so we wont have the chance to build something more permanent until after that. I would also like to add we are probably a month or two out from buying an actual tortoise. My thoughts were to get a nice set up ready slowly and over time before we buy the lil guy. I don't rush into pet ownership. And while I know a tank isn't perfect for a tortoise I know it can work for a while. Hence the research and question asking before I run out and spend at least 100 dollars on something I can not care for properly. I also think that living on the west side of Washington (or the wetside as people over here joke) would make it hard for year round outside living. I really am just getting into the idea and have no ambitions of picking something up soon and throwing in there hoping for the best. I appreciate the advice of not letting the tank control our purchases, but we have talked about the needs of a tortoise beyond its baby beginnings and think we can handle it. We do our best to provide our pets all that they need. Our vets office thinks it odd we demand regular check ups for our hedgie. Pets are family for sure!

I really hope that didnt come across snotty lol. I know I am knew and really don't know much but I certainly want to try to learn!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and WELCOME:D. Ditto, do your research first on all the different types and the care of them and the size they will get first. A lot of people also recommends the hermanns for a beginner. Good luck on your decision making.

nutmegs21

5 Year Member
My entire day has gone to poking around on here. So, am I correct in thinking that either Russian, Greek, Cherry head or Hermans are the best beginner tortoise? I wish the leopard tortoise was one of these. They sure are beautiful. But I know they aren't right for us. Any one got advice on what one is the best? And as per the beginner mistakes thing, if someone can point me towards a reliable source that would be great. Probably going to look at pricing and what not so we can plan ahead.

I am already planning on getting some seeds to grow food. I have a salad garden I keep for us that has red leaf lettuce, spinach, arugala, strawberries, basil, mint, broccoli, sage and chives. So I think I can handle growing some weeds lol. I love gardening and a pet that can appreciate the effort is awesome.

nutmegs21

5 Year Member
Yeah, the petsmart near me has two really pretty ones on sale for 82 each. They tempt me.

Status
Not open for further replies.