Hello

Sdaggan

Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania, United States
Hi all! I am a veteran reptile owner, but don't have any torts yet. I am planning on getting an Eastern Herman's Tortoise at the Hamburg reptile show next year some time. I'm sure I will be doing lots of research here in the coming months, especially when I go to build my tortoise table. Thanks in advance for all the help I'm sure to get from everyone!

I'll attach a picture of my 26 year old RES I have in her new pond, with a wooden outside built on to it soon!

IMAG0099.jpg IMAG0104.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Have you ever measured the temperature of the basking area? The light looks a bit high to me.

Holly'sMom

Have you ever measured the temperature of the basking area? The light looks a bit high to me.
It gets cold here in Pennsylvania. I have the same issue where I'm using a basking and chi during the day sometimes a large basking w 5.5inch 50 watt added along w the chi and two chi's at night (possibly three if it drops just to keep a 75/80 degree) we have baseboard heat idk If that's why because our enclosure is set up waist high it'll drop way below my house temps. I just seen he's also in Pennsylvania so it maybe the same case. (I use inferred thermometers w a thermostat and the cheap stick to the side just in case.)

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome to the forum.

WOW 26 years old RES! ! ! ! ! ! !

Sdaggan

It gets cold here in Pennsylvania. I have the same issue where I'm using a basking and chi during the day sometimes a large basking w 5.5inch 50 watt added along w the chi and two chi's at night (possibly three if it drops just to keep a 75/80 degree) we have baseboard heat idk If that's why because our enclosure is set up waist high it'll drop way below my house temps. I just seen he's also in Pennsylvania so it maybe the same case. (I use inferred thermometers w a thermostat and the cheap stick to the side just in case.)
I use a 60 watt bulb, and the turtle's shell is in the high 80's when she's basking, the pebbles she's on are in the high 70's when she is not basking. Think it needs to be positioned lower or with a higher wattage?

Sdaggan

I use a 60 watt bulb, and the turtle's shell is in the high 80's when she's basking, the pebbles she's on are in the high 70's when she is not basking. Think it needs to be positioned lower or with a higher wattage?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
You are after 95F at Tortoise level under the lamp. Try lowering it first. If it's too close then get a 100W bulb.

Holly'sMom

Are use 100 W bulbs the only one that I don't is the extra the 5.5 I have a 60 watt basking in there as an extra. But That's my issue is I'm using a 70 gallon breeder critter tank not an aquarium that I have to keep the screen lid on it or my bangle cats climb in there I just went to Petco today and bought another basking/heat lamp that I'm hoping will work better as a basking lamp then the flunkers ceramic lamps not ceramic bulbs but basking bulb in a ceramic lamp wo any shiny parts. I use the ceramic bulbs for heat w 100/150 watt on thermostats and their dinners too but I am just getting too many lamps at this point because I can't lower it down with the screen we're probably going to end up building a turtle table and the next week or two if this doesn't work

Holly'sMom

Sorry somehow I deleted the quote so I don't know if it still shows up as a reply

Holly'sMom

Possibly I have tortoises not aquatic turtles so I don't want to misinform also my basking area doesn't have pebbles and the temp of the surface/floor is 100/105* F so the rocks could burn my tortoise. I'm sure someone here should know what the basking area temp should be.