Hello, New to the Site! and new to Tortoise Care

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Tortuga

5 Year Member
Okay, well i have allot of experience with animals just not this little guy. i do have a 2year old ball python and a 55 gallon FOWLR with a Snowflake eel.

and most of the time i search for stuff and questions about this little guy, this site is at the tippy top all the time :p

seemed about time to Join :D

quick question i have a uvb/uva zoo med lamp and a basking lamp in his enclosure since its to cold right now for him outside, that im also building him a outside enclosure big enough for him to roam around free of dangers

but my basking light blew up, and i bought another one.. and that one poped as well.. i was wondering if a regular heat bulb or floodlight is fine since he has the uvb/uva bulb that was so expensive >_< thank god that one hasn't poped

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Mr. Tortuga!

No, you really DO need the expensive UVB light for your little guy. Most Mfg's will take defective bulbs back in replacement. But have you checked out your fixture? The UVB bulbs must be mounted in a ceramic based fixture with a large enough "tolerance" to accept the wattage of the bulb.

stickreid

5 Year Member
Mr.Tortuga said:
Okay, well i have allot of experience with animals just not this little guy. i do have a 2year old ball python and a 55 gallon FOWLR with a Snowflake eel.

and most of the time i search for stuff and questions about this little guy, this site is at the tippy top all the time :p

quick question i have a uvb/uva zoo med lamp and a basking lamp in his enclosure since its to cold right now for him outside, that im also building him a outside enclosure big enough for him to roam around free of dangers

but my basking light blew up, and i bought another one.. and that one poped as well.. i was wondering if a regular heat bulb or floodlight is fine since he has the uvb/uva bulb that was so expensive >_< thank god that one hasn't poped

Welcome to the forums Mr Tortuga!!! :)
Nice to have you here
(wait actually this might be my first post as well XD i cant remember if i've posted before)

BUT ANYWAYS to your question

A lightbulb may pop for several reasons
1) manufacturing error - The light bulb may have been made incorrectly. Usually when this happens you can get a refund on your bulb. Seeing as how this has happened twice to you this is likely not the answer (although you MAY still be able to get a refund)

2) Overheating or enviornment issues- The area around your bulbs may be too hot causing the bulb to shatter.. make sure you do not have 2 bulbs running next to eachother.
OR if even ONE drop of cold water touches a bulb the temperature change can cause the bulb to shatter as well.
these problems do not happen very often and chances are it is likely that you may have another issue.

3) Ballast/bulb fixture issues - Certain fixtures are not meant for certain bulbs. the bulb you are buying may not work in the type of fixture you have, the bulb wattage may be incompatible with the fixture. Check on the boxes of the fixture and bulb to see if they will work together. I think this is most likely your problem as it is a common issue.

you also said you have two bulbs you use?
that may be annoying to change all the time and isn't always necessary

you can use only ONE bulb for heat as well as UVB + UVA rays...
the bulb i use is a mercury vapor bulb which runs for about 40$
you can pick one up here

and the best fixture for that is a deep dome fixture to maximize the uvb rays and heat output for your tank.

you can pick one of those up here

best idea is to try a new fixture, and if that doesent work return it and try a better bulb :)

Good luck Mr. Tortuga!!

stickreid

5 Year Member
Mr.Tortuga said:

Mr.Tortuga

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Welcome to the Forum, Mr. Tortuga!

No, you really DO need the expensive UVB light for your little guy. Most Mfg's will take defective bulbs back in replacement. But have you checked out your fixture? The UVB bulbs must be mounted in a ceramic based fixture with a large enough "tolerance" to accept the wattage of the bulb.

i do have the UVB/UVA ZOO MED bulb, the one that keeps blowing up is the basking light, by the way, i do know the reason why its blowing up, see i give my turtle bottled water into his bowl, and my daughter see's me doing it. when she tries to help, she shakes the bottle very vigorously and well the lamp gets wet.. . i seen it happen

what im saying if i get a floodlight witch i think is waterproof, lol. to replace the basking light with it.

as for the UVB/UVA light its on a 12 hour on and 12 hour off cycle.

and the bases are ceramic

question, i use a nightlight red bulb 100w zoo-med for heating at night? is this best? or a ceramic emitter would be betteR?

Mr.Tortuga

5 Year Member
Oh yea i know the problem was the bulb getting water on it, since i put bottled water in his bowl, my daughter tries to do it aswell. she cant reach all the way to the bowl, so she shakes the water vigorously and i seen it pop once the water hit it. i do use domes, on them but maybe deeper ones to avoid this happening? :)

oh and i have read hear and there that greens are okay to feed, then there not. and so on, so i decided to look the types of grass it uses, and here in houston there is tons of burmuda grass growing on the lawn edges, but i also have a very big patch of Opuntia spineless cactus growing on the side of my fence. i know for a fact that there not seedless since my sons party ballon is still rubbing on it with the wind, lol so i have been giving him the sprouts that come out, ill post a pic. is this fine? what are your recommendations.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The Zoo Med bulb should be providing all the heat you need. How big is the habitat? Can we see a picture?

stickreid

5 Year Member
a basking light is not necessary.

all you need is a uvb/uva light which you say is okay and not broken. :)

that is sufficent for heat AND uvb rays, everything your tortiose needs!!

Good luck Mr Tortuga!!

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
If the zoomed is an mvb light, then you no more need any basking light. If it is a tube lamp, then you need to check your enclosure temperature before deciding to put a basking lamp or not.

Mr.Tortuga

5 Year Member
well i am actually making a new habitat for him, currently he is a 20 gallon long tank. with coir/play sand mix with the UVB/UVA light and a 100watt heatlamp.

the new habitat is 48xlong 30xwide almost done letting the sealant fully cure.

i was thinking of cutting of a section of the bottom to had a containter to have more substrate so he can dig, since he seems to love doing that

im keeping the pictures once its done, ill have each one from step 1 to the last step. sure will posted?

Status
Not open for further replies.