Hello! New to site and waiting on delivery of RT this a.m.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Makanowe

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SE Minnesota
Hello everybody! We have used this website extensively while researching a tortoise or two to add to our family. It has been so helpful, so thank you so much everybody! :)

We are anxiously awaiting the arrival of a baby Russian tort scheduled to be here within the next two hours. We requested a female though realize it may turn out to be a male. Currently, her name is...ahem...Ironman-Tony-Tony-Hawk... We let our son name her. He was indecisive. :D Most likely, she (or he) will go by Tony.

This is our son, Weston's tort officially, but in reality my husband and I are probably more excited and will be the primary parents/caretakers. We built a temporary enclosure for inside out of a big old wood box with a metal dog kennel-like gate for the lid. My husband is a carpenter so something much better is in the works for inside.

I am a super avid gardener and found the tortoise table very helpful. I planted a big tray with edibles we know to be safe for now when IMTTH is outside but we are also planning a permanent outdoor enclosure that will be planted. Weston was delighted when I actually purposely planted dandelions in the tray. Never thought I would do that!!!

I will post pics of IMTTH later. I also have some questions about outdoor enclosure sites. Basically, it will be built up with wood on cement patio area like a tall raised garden OR built into an existing garden near our pond with a sunken and raised "fence". Both will be planted and have hides and water and some sort of removable lid. Both are mostly sunny locations but do get some shade. I will add details later.

So happy to have joined your group! Thank you for all the information we have already found and all the helpful information I am sure we will receive.

Katy and:
Matt (my husband)
Weston (son,7)
Noah (son,16)
Smokey, Trip, Hulk, Whiskey (cats)
South American and African cichlids, plecos, catfish, loaches, etc. (all named)
7 koi and numerous mosquito fish in outdoor pond (indoor in winter)
1 noisy adorable persistent toad that moved into the pond

From Rochester, MN.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! What an exciting day!! The time is going to go soooooo slow this morning. What made you decide on getting a Russian?

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Welcome!!!
How exciting for you!! Please post pictures for us when he gets there!! :) :)

Beck

10 Year Member!
Lakeland/Central FL
Welcome to the forum! I'm new to posting here as well (been lurking for some time too). So exciting about your RT. Please post pics!

-Rebekah

1 dachshund
1 future Red Foot

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Katy:

Welcome to the Forum!!

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Aww what a cutie! With such an original name! Welcome to tfo and to russian tortoise keeping. They are one of my favorite species because they are such rascals. Enjoy!

Makanowe

5 Year Member
SE Minnesota
Thank you! She is so darn cute. Weston met the FedEx driver at the truck. She was squirming away in the bag in the box. Got her out, and she promptly hid and peed. I held her inside my robe on the way to her house and when I peeked at her she hid and peed on me. Ha! I had romaine ready for her which she ate within 15 minutes. She used her basking rock and really likes the hide Matt built. I had also set up an outdoor cage type large dog kennel with flats of my garden soil and cypress mulch and a few of the pots I planted for her. We put in a hide and water and stones for her. She ate some more. We did soak her and she pooped again. Later she found her way into her water and did drink and chose to stay there for a couple minutes. Weston and I supervised her on a walk around our gardens later on. She is gonna need a way bigger pen. Lots of energy! We are so happy with her!

We chose a RT because we read they are good beginner torts, the climatic requirements were easily achieved, and we have seen that they have good personalities. Still wasn't an easy choice because there were others that sounded great but I think this was a good first for us. She is captive born as well.

I posted all this earlier and lost the post. Gonna post more pics separate this time. ;)

Makanowe

5 Year Member
SE Minnesota
My son, Noah, took this. She is adorable

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    548.7 KB · Views: 77

clucey

5 Year Member
She is adorable congratulations

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using TortForum mobile app

apromann4

5 Year Member
philippines
Good choice for 1st , eventually you' l ad more, lol torts are addicting, lovely pets

Sent from my S100 using TortForum mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.