I'm new to this site

Status
Not open for further replies.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alhambra, CA
For Christmas my son Alexander (11 years old) got a Cherryhead Tortoise and he has named him Dale. He is about 6 inches long and 4 inches wide and I have fallen in love with him. He's the cutest although since I don't know too much about Tortoise's I guess I really don't know if he's really cute or not. I've been reading everything that I could get ahold of since Christmas to learn about him. I do know that he's a boy because of his curve (and the pet store told us he was also). They told us that they were'nt sure how old he was, but that they thought he might be a year old or so. The vet that we took him to to have him checked out told us that she thought he was more like 6 years old so we're really not sure. He is eating well only won't eat the cat food from the care sheet yet, but we'll keep giving it to him and eventually he'll try it I'm sure. He loves peppers (all colors) and he also loves figs. Anyway just wanted to introduce myself and Dale since I've seen most of your tortoises that have been posted and their all beautiful. Your site has helped me so much. I will eventally post more photos of Dale my 22 year old son is helping me with that. Have a great day everybody. Candy

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Welcome to the forum Candy :)

If he's not interested in catfood, you might want to try night crawlers :D
Mine love them.

Danny

BigBiscuit

5 Year Member
Iowa, U.S.
Dale is a cute name. I think it is funny when animals have people names.

Evan

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Candy: Welcome to the forum. You're doing the right thing by reading the care sheets put out by Terry Kilgore at turtletary.com and redfoots.com He's done a pretty good job of raising healthy babies and letting us know how to do it too.

Yvonne

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:D Hi Candy!! Welcome to the group. I am looking forward to seeing the pictures of your redfoot. They are great torts aren't they?

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Candy, welcome to you and Dale. I am looking forward to seeing pics of him.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Congrats on your new redfoot Candy!

Measure him like so and we might have an idea of his age. At 6" he is closer to 3 YEARS old. This one is 3 1/4".. and is around 9 months old. He hatched at less than 1 3/4" -

ASCL-1.jpg

Since we don't know what he has been fed it may take awhile to get him on a real diet. Get him good greens like listed in the caresheets in my signature too. It may take awhile to get him acclimated to what they eat. Make sure that the night crawlers are from your yard or a private grower and not "farmed".. some use chemicals to grow them up fast which isn't particularly good for them.

Keep us posted...

NERD

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Thanks everybody you make me feel so welcome. I'm so excited about Dale and it's nice to talk to people who know about tortoises since I'm just learning. I will measure Dale like Terry showed me and send pictures out. I'm still trying to get my 22 year old to help me since I'm not good at pictures on the computer. More pictures of Dale coming soon. Thanks again.

micki

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
uk
hi and welcome to the forum.:)

Cartman6

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks Candy!!

I am new here, Hope to have some good time.

Chadam

5 Year Member
Welcome Candy, there is a ton of tortoise knowledge her, not so much by us yet though.

Status
Not open for further replies.