Hello! New to forum and looking for advice with scales/skin

RileyMac

Location (City and/or State)
Mississippi
Hello! I have owned my Hermann's tortoise for about 14 years, her name is Lilly. We moved from Minnesota to Mississippi this summer for Grad school. She started in her new tortoise table with a substrate that was almost like very fine mulch. It seemed like the perfect new substrate, and she loved to burrow in it (usually completely covering herself.) I noticed she started losing a lot scales around her neck/softer parts. I thought this might be okay, maybe just a lot of shedding at one time? But then I noticed she was losing some bigger scales on her feet, and the scales on the bottom of her feet are worn down. You can see pink through her heels as well as a few small spots under her plastron. I have since taken all substrate out (which I'm sure makes her very sad!)
I will be taking her to a vet this coming week (hopefully he knows something about tortoises..) Would you all have any advice on future substrates, or what might be happening? Anything would be greatly appreciated!!
Thank you!
IMG_1826.JPG IMG_1909.JPG IMG_1924.JPG

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Hi and welcome! I don't have a Hermanns, but I would like to know what substrate she was used to before the move. I really don't think it has anything to do with the fine substrate you put down, but what exactly was this fine substrate? Shedding is a natural process ; however, the kind of shedding in the pics don't look good cause its such a large area. Let's see what Yvonne says. She's a moderator and has dealt with all sorts of problems with rescues she gets. Send her a message Yvonne G

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

What were you using prior to the move to Mississippi? I'd try to go back to that.

To be honest, I don't see what you're seeing. I guess the pictures just aren't clear enough (or my old eyes are failing).

You might try keeping her on indoor/outdoor carpeting for a month or so and see if you notice a difference in the skin. But most of us use coco coir or some sort of substrate and the tortoises get along on it just fine.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

What were you using prior to the move to Mississippi? I'd try to go back to that.

To be honest, I don't see what you're seeing. I guess the pictures just aren't clear enough (or my old eyes are failing).

You might try keeping her on indoor/outdoor carpeting for a month or so and see if you notice a difference in the skin. But most of us use coco coir or some sort of substrate and the tortoises get along on it just fine.

Yvonne, there's a pinkish tint on the plastron and one of the feet. Also, the scales on the upper portion have fallen off. Now, I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. I feel that whatever substrate she was using may have some chemicals in it that caused some sort of reaction. So, yeah, I'm asking too what substrate she used before the move, and what exactly she used this time. It's possible that the substrate has a pinkish dye to it.

RileyMac

Mississippi
Hi and welcome! I don't have a Hermanns, but I would like to know what substrate she was used to before the move. I really don't think it has anything to do with the fine substrate you put down, but what exactly was this fine substrate? Shedding is a natural process ; however, the kind of shedding in the pics don't look good cause its such a large area. Let's see what Yvonne says. She's a moderator and has dealt with all sorts of problems with rescues she gets. Send her a message Yvonne G

The substrate she had was Scotts top soil but like I mentioned, it wasn't like dirt, it was more of a fine mulchy peat moss type mixture. I thought she might have rubbed too hard when she was burrowing? Before this she was in a top soil that was basically dirt/sand. I didn't like it because it became very dusty and she did ingest some of the tiny pebbles. I suppose it could be some sort of reaction. The only reason I don't think it is color from the substrate is because it's only on her heels (no pink on arms) and just those few spots on her plastron. A year or two ago the front sides of her shell got worn down and pink from her trying to burrow into her terra cotta hut she outgrew. It seems similar to that... but I'm really am not sure. :/
Thank you everyone for your warm welcomes and advice!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Okay. Now, I want you to test something out. Apply some pressure against her plastron. Does it seem to give in a bit? Do the same on her carapace especially her anal scute. Does it give in a.bit? If so, let me know. If not, I can only say that sometimes members would notice a pink or purplish discoloration on the plastron. If it doesn't go way on it's own, it could mean that their some deficiency going on. Are you providing calcium along with sunlight outside?

RileyMac

Mississippi
Okay. Now, I want you to test something out. Apply some pressure against her plastron. Does it seem to give in a bit? Do the same on her carapace especially her anal scute. Does it give in a.bit? If so, let me know. If not, I can only say that sometimes members would notice a pink or purplish discoloration on the plastron. If it doesn't go way on it's own, it could mean that their some deficiency going on. Are you providing calcium along with sunlight outside?

Her shell is solid all over and does not give in at all. She could have some sort of deficiency... That makes more sense because I haven't give her any calcium supplement, and I'm sure the greens I buy are a different quality down here than up north. I've been nervous to pick the weeds that grow in my yard for her because I don't know what they are. She does not touch cuttlebones. Do you recommend any brand of calcium powder I can sprinkle on her food? I have taken her outside a few times but I am still in the process of building her outside habitat.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, and welcome.
Looks like discolourization from substrate to me as well, though i'm no expert.
Change the substrate and see what happens.
Just scrape a little bit of the cuttlebone onto her food and mix it in a couple of times a week.
You do have a UVB source, yes ?