Hello from NJ

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
I do appreciate all the advice. Don't get me wrong. I am just extremely overwhelmed right now since I just spent $500 and now have to return everything, including the pet if the glass tank is no good either.
Don't lose heart you're not the first nor will you be the last to be wrongly informed by pet stores. They are at fault not you - you have been trying to do your best for your baby so will obviously make a good tort keeper.
It is all very overwhelming and daunting to find out you have the wrong stuff, but everyone here loves torts and they are only making sure you get it right for him and to make it easier for yourself.
Once your set up and lights etc are right you will be fine; it will save you a fortune in vets bills and you will have a happy, healthy tort for the rest of your life.
Most people return unused inappropriate items to the pet store so hopefully you can get your money back, to buy the cheaper things or exchange for the right things.
I was thrown in the deep end with my tort which was found and unclaimed - I had no time to research beforehand and no idea what I needed or had to do, but thankfully this forum pointed me in the right direction and helped tremendously - even when I was told things I didn't really want to hear. It was a very steep learning curve!
I know you're disappointed but don't give up.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Return everything that is no good.
You can buy a large bookcase, lie it on it's side and knock out the shelves, line it with a shower curtain and you have a big basic enclosure quite cheaply.
We've all had to make changes and it can be very frustrating, but stick at it and the rewards of having a happy, healthy tortoise are well worth it, i promise you.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
@Nephelle, I've been a forum owner since 2003, so I know how most of them work.
I picked the Russian because he'll stay fairly small. I didn't want one that I'd have to donate to the zoo.

I'm thinking I could build something. My dad is good with wood and power tools. So, that's always an option. It really will be addicting though. I already bought holiday decorations.

What kind of forum is it (subject wise)?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
You all are very kind and helpful. His health does come first. Even if I can't return everything, I'd rather be broke and he be happy, than stick with what I have and he getting sick.
A very warm welcome to the forum!:)

Take it easy, don't panic. We all made mistakes I can assure you.;)
I totally agree with you: our torts :<3: are much more important than money.

And never, ever trust pet stores!:(