Hello from WY

JCG

Hello, I have kept and raised aquatic turtles but I am new to tortoises. I have always been facinated by them and today I had one rather suddenly come into our life's. So please don't be judgemental as I relate the story. My family and I was visiting siblings in SLC, UT. We were traveling down a major 6 lane road in the downtown area and I observed several cars pass over a very strange looking object in the road. as I pulled up I realized it was a fairly large tortoise, possibly turtle in the middle of the lane. Somehow he was completely unharmed, I instantly put on the hazard lights and jumped out of the car and picked him up. After returning to the relative safety of the car, we pulled over to ask any of the nearby houses if they lost one. So far, I haven't located its owners but I will place found adds and advice local pet stores and Vets in the area. In the meantime I was hoping someone who could help me identify what exactly he is. (Yes, I do know enough to know he is a male) If I cannot locate the owner and if it is legal to own I plan on keeping him. So any advice to his care and feeding requirements would be greatly appreciated. Or any suggestions as to a sanctuary if it happens to be protected.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Hello, I have kept and raised aquatic turtles but I am new to tortoises. I have always been facinated by them and today I had one rather suddenly come into our life's. So please don't be judgemental as I relate the story. My family and I was visiting siblings in SLC, UT. We were traveling down a major 6 lane road in the downtown area and I observed several cars pass over a very strange looking object in the road. as I pulled up I realized it was a fairly large tortoise, possibly turtle in the middle of the lane. Somehow he was completely unharmed, I instantly put on the hazard lights and jumped out of the car and picked him up. After returning to the relative safety of the car, we pulled over to ask any of the nearby houses if they lost one. So far, I haven't located its owners but I will place found adds and advice local pet stores and Vets in the area. In the meantime I was hoping someone who could help me identify what exactly he is. (Yes, I do know enough to know he is a male) If I cannot locate the owner and if it is legal to own I plan on keeping him. So any advice to his care and feeding requirements would be greatly appreciated. Or any suggestions as to a sanctuary if it happens to be protected.

A good looking tort. Thanks the rescue.:<3:

And a very warm welcome to the forum!

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Desert tortoise. Not sure what the laws in Utah are like - in many places, it is illegal to remove them from the wild. It is very unlikely you can take it out of state. If you picked it up within its native range, it should be returned. I'm not seeing any evidence in the photos that this was a captive tortoise. If this is outside of their range in Utah, hopefully a vet or wildlife rehab facility can assist.

Last edited:

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I'm unaware of the laws either, but would put it back as near as is safely possible to where you found it if i were you.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What we recommend when rescuing a tortoise from the street is to move the tortoise to the side of the road in the direction it was heading.

Desert tortoises are protected and is it against the law to take them out of the wild. Since you said you contacted people in nearby houses, I'm thinking that this wasn't actually "in the wild."

Tortoises are territorial. So don't put the tortoise anyplace other than where it was. Advertise to try to find an owner, but if you don't find them, you still can't take the tortoise with you back to Wyoming. It is against the law to move them across state lines.

You might call these people to get help with what to do:

http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Tur...ah-Offering-40-Desert-Tortoises-For-Adpotion/

JCG

Thanks everyone, indeed it was a desert tortoise however it is not native to the area where found so leaving it roadside in downtown Salt Lake City would have almost certainly have been a fatal mistake. They do call southern Utah home, this one however is part of a study group that have been adopted out to qualified owners. He was microchipped and as it turns out is 60 years old and was returned to his adopted family through the correct Division of Wildlife Resources officers.