Greetings from Texas

allofus12345

Location (City and/or State)
Deer Park, TX
Hello everyone. Been in the background the past week reading and learning. Such a wealth of info here and is exactly what I need. I know I found the right place.

How did I end up here? Glad you asked. The wife spotted a turtle crossing the road and screamed stop the car. Scared the bejeebers :eek: out of me as I had no idea why she was screaming. After she explained she saw a turtle in the road she insisted I run out in the road to rescue the turtle while she stayed comfortably inside the car. Hmmm, didn't sound like a very good deal to me but.... happy wife happy life. (and happy tortoise who was moved far from the roadway) The wife started in how she has always wanted a turtle. Told her what she most likely wanted was a tortoise and I would look into it. So I did what most people do now days and googled up this forum.

We're in Texas, south of Houston. Summer temps in the 90's (currently we hit the 100's) and winter lows can get to freezing. We're very new to tortoises but not animals or the commitment required. We're dedicated to deal with all required once we decide what tortoise fits us best. We certainly welcome advice and suggestions. In the mean time I'll continue reading through various posts and post up the occasional question when needed. Thanks for having us.

Ken & Melinda

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. A true tortoise/turtle lover when you will save one from the road. Read all the different caresheets. Might help you decide on a species. This forum and it's great members can help you through it all.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Ken and Melinda, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
Anything is possible if you get the setup right.
It depends on your space, finances and to what you take a fancy.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I live near the Horicon Marsh and drive through it a lot. The old manager of the place was, well, not real bright. They drain sections to promote plant growth and would alternate draining the opposite sides of the highway. Doing so caused the turtles, especially big snappers, to have to cross the highway twice a year! I was constantly picking up turtles and moving them to the other side. Sometimes up to 3 or 4 a trip. It always saddened me to see an old 75 plus year old snapper smashed on the highway.

In any case, glad to see another person who stops to get them. My motorcycle license plate frame says "I BRAKE FOR TURTLES".

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome!

Our tortoise was a road rescue, and a welcome addition to our home.

Start with the care sheets and consider the space you have available, indoors and out!

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Hi Melinda and Ken, I'm in the Austin area and keep the Redfoot tortoises and absolutely ADORE them!!!! Each species is fun and special in some ways. I think the biggest part of housing tortoise or turtles giving them the appropriate living conditions where they can thrive. For that you need space and money. Putting together proper reptile enclosure is not cheap by any means. Another thing to consider is your pet's life span. Turtles/tortoises are known for their longevity if kept properly so that's definitely something to consider. I love the giant tortoises and if had a space for it, I'd be getting Aldabran tortoise. If my backyard was fully fenced in I would probably look into a sulcata (i adore those!!!) but it's not, and space is somewhat limited, but still ok for most of the tortoise species available out there. I ended up going with the Redfooted and couldn't be happier about that choice. There is a lot to take into consideration. Study the different species on here and you can also get your pet from one of our members, or your local rescue. I am excited to have another Texans on here! Woohoo!!!:) welcome!!!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hello everyone. Been in the background the past week reading and learning. Such a wealth of info here and is exactly what I need. I know I found the right place.

How did I end up here? Glad you asked. The wife spotted a turtle crossing the road and screamed stop the car. Scared the bejeebers :eek: out of me as I had no idea why she was screaming. After she explained she saw a turtle in the road she insisted I run out in the road to rescue the turtle while she stayed comfortably inside the car. Hmmm, didn't sound like a very good deal to me but.... happy wife happy life. (and happy tortoise who was moved far from the roadway) The wife started in how she has always wanted a turtle. Told her what she most likely wanted was a tortoise and I would look into it. So I did what most people do now days and googled up this forum.

We're in Texas, south of Houston. Summer temps in the 90's (currently we hit the 100's) and winter lows can get to freezing. We're very new to tortoises but not animals or the commitment required. We're dedicated to deal with all required once we decide what tortoise fits us best. We certainly welcome advice and suggestions. In the mean time I'll continue reading through various posts and post up the occasional question when needed. Thanks for having us.

Ken & Melinda
A very warm welcome to the forum! :D And thanks for rescuing the poor little thing. ;)

Would love to see a pic of him/her.;)