Hello from the UK

wej0307

Location (City and/or State)
UK
hi everyone, since I can remember I have always wanted a tortoise but have never been able to get one. but now I am finally able to and I will be getting one really soon.
my dad is going to build the table, we have looked on different websites and in different shops and we have correct measurements and we know the shape we would like for our tortoise.
we have decided on getting a horsefield tortoise after lots of help from a staff member in a reptile shop as this tortoise suits our lifestyle the best and we would be able to take care of it the best.
I would highly appreciate any tips of how to prepare for my tortoises home and to get it ready before we bring It home and any tips of how to look after it when we get it.
I also have a rough idea for a list for everything I need for my tortoise but I would appreciate anyone telling me things that I need.
thankyou!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Good morning, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum. :)
Firstly, be very careful with pet store advice as often they are working from information that can be out of date and also may be trying to sell you stuff that you don't need and is sometimes dangerous.
Please read http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
and http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
to begin.
It is very important to get the set up right to begin and ensure your tortoise has plenty of space.
After reading the links, please don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions.

wej0307

UK
okay thank you, what substrate should I use for the table? i've read that sand is not a good idea but I wasn't sure which was the best to use for my baby tortoise.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
If you read the links I posted for you, it tells you the suitable substrates.
Fine grade orchid bark is very good for Russians, but coco coir or cypress mulch are used by some.
Indeed, sand is an impaction risk and should not be used.

Maitaimommy

Hi wej0307,

You'll be getting a fun and fiesty tort:)
Please just stick with one as they do not do well in pairs!
Coconut fiber substrate is my torts favorite and I like it too.
I'm still learning about lighting and enclosures so I can't give you alot of info about those things.
As for food, my girl/boy loves radiccio, endive and organic clover sprouts. Also trying to introduce new foods like collard greens and certain flowers.
You'll find most of the info that you want/ need on here!