Hello from the DFW area of Texas!

txturtledude

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
DFW Area, Texas
Hello Everybody!

I will be receiving a baby rhino...oops, I meant baby Sulcata on Wednesday. Looking forward to it. Trying to read as much as possible about caring for Sulcatas. Any links to information or suggestions are welcome.

txturtledude
DFW Area (Texas)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

There's plenty of good info at the top of the Sulcata section under "Important threads"

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
LOL, rhino is a great description from what I have heard. Hello and Welcome:). If you will be getting a young one, please read Toms threads below in my post. Even if your not getting a young one, it's still a good read for knowing how they should be started out.

txturtledude

5 Year Member
DFW Area, Texas
Yvonne G said:
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

There's plenty of good info at the top of the Sulcata section under "Important threads"

WOW! I have been looking through the forum and have noticed tons of information. I think I came to the right place.

Thanks for the welcome! :)

txturtledude

5 Year Member
DFW Area, Texas
wellington said:
LOL, rhino is a great description from what I have heard. Hello and Welcome:). If you will be getting a young one, please read Toms threads below in my post. Even if your not getting a young one, it's still a good read for knowing how they should be started out.

Thanks, will do!

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Yes. You are in the right place! And unlike your friends and family, we never tire from seeing pictures of your shelled kids. You ought to post some for us.

AshTurtle

Aww I'm in the DFW area too! Glad to know I'm not the only one around here with a Sulcata. We just got one last month that was 6 months old.

txturtledude

5 Year Member
DFW Area, Texas
AshTurtle said:
Aww I'm in the DFW area too! Glad to know I'm not the only one around here with a Sulcata. We just got one last month that was 6 months old.

Mine will be about the same age. I have a tortoise table that I am going to rig with a plastic tent over the top to hold in the humidity. I was told to keep the humidity around 80% and never let temps get below 80 degrees.

Also, I am figuring out what kind of outdoor enclosure I am going to build. Knowing that this tort will eventually weight 70-100 pounds or more makes it more of an engineering project! ;)

Good luck with your new family member!

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Irving here. There are quite a few of us in the DFW area actually. Good to see more popping up. Enjoy your little guy. S/he will not stay little long. I have 5 of the little hogs and they are quite a handful. They went from eating about a pound of food every week and a half to 2 pounds every 2 days in just 8 months. Soon they will no longer even fit into the tub they used to live in! One huge tip. Create an enclosure that you think is WAY too big because in a year, it will be too small, lol.