Hello from Sunny Palm Springs!

luvsdaheat

Location (City and/or State)
Sunny Palm Springs, CA
I'm new to this forum, `though Mrs. Luvsdaheat and I have been keeping torts for about 10 years.
Our big pair is Oscar and Luna - 115lbs, and 83lbs. respectively. We've had them a bit over 9 years. They slept in a made-over giant doghouse for first few years, then Oscar went to digging - Luna stole his first burrow, so he had to dig another for himself (which I don't think he particularly minded).

Last year, someone found a 90lb. male Sulcata on the FREEWAY unhurt! We took him in, and Luna really took to him - wink, wink. We placed Willie last summer - partly because the two males went at it all the freakin' time.

Before "Willie" our hatches were 40-60, and with Willie, it shot up to over 80! Mrs. Luvsdaheat thinks Luna was pissed off about Willie leaving, and shut Oscar down, as this year we have ZERO babies...

We recently managed to find a not-too-expensive a nice male Leopard to keep 8 year old Lazzie company...they seem to have bonded, so stay tuned for news of scuttling baby Babcocki!

I can't be a regular contributor, but I'm not an "all take and no give" kind of guy, either.

brad

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Welcome. Thanks for sharing your stories!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

I don't recommend keeping your tortoises in pairs. It is usually pretty stressful on them. Best to have several females for each male. Assuming of course you want a whole lotta babies.

luvsdaheat

Sunny Palm Springs, CA
Hello and welcome.

I don't recommend keeping your tortoises in pairs. It is usually pretty stressful on them. Best to have several females for each male. Assuming of course you want a whole lotta babies.

Tom,

We would love to have 1.2. herds - that said, Luna and Oscar have been together always. He dotes on her, and she definitely rules the roost. I've raised chickens before, and the similarity between these torts and chickens is eerie! Gratefully, Luna is not that bedraggled hen in the flock - heck, Oscar has built two smashing burrows for her over the years; it's a good marriage - they sleep in separate "beds.";)

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Brad welcome to the TFO from AZ . Have a great tort day!

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
...pictures of the torts AND their habitat!!!

Welcome to the Forum, Brad.

puffy137

Tom,

We would love to have 1.2. herds - that said, Luna and Oscar have been together always. He dotes on her, and she definitely rules the roost. I've raised chickens before, and the similarity between these torts and chickens is eerie! Gratefully, Luna is not that bedraggled hen in the flock - heck, Oscar has built two smashing burrows for her over the years; it's a good marriage - they sleep in separate "beds.";)
Love it . love it , love it , I have 2 pairs of 'courting couples' even with other singles near , they keep attached to the same ones.:D

luvsdaheat

Sunny Palm Springs, CA
...pictures of the torts AND their habitat!!! Welcome to the Forum, Brad.

Here's a few to get things started:

Luna wants the Sunday Comics.JPG Oscar's retreiving his socks!.JPG Willie and Oscar pose for camera.JPG Oscar visits Lazarus.JPG

The first pic is Luna, years ago - we left the back door open....
Second is Oscar after crashing the laundry room!
Third is Willie (left) and Oscar mugging for the camera
Last is a photo of Oscar visiting with his little Leopard friend Lazzie (note the Sully babies scuttling in the background)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You can see the breeding wear marks on Luna's carapace. I've seen female sulcatas with very thin carapaces where the male's feet rub as he's mounted.

Those look like some pretty darned big sulcata tortoises!

luvsdaheat

Sunny Palm Springs, CA
You can see the breeding wear marks on Luna's carapace. I've seen female sulcatas with very thin carapaces where the male's feet rub as he's mounted.

Those look like some pretty darned big sulcata tortoises!

Those pics are a bit old, and I've since "hardfaced" Luna's shell with Quikrete crack repair. Here's a link to my post explaining it:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/posts/962833/