Hello from Stonington,ME USA!!! -NEW Member-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lisa Gove71

I currently have ONE Dalmatian Herman tortie (at least at the present moment.)

I found your site through facebook.

I am relitivly new to tortie keeping so please bare with me.. At the moment I don't have an outdoor enclosure area, so I want to make his table as interesting as I can..

questions!!! (i am sure I will have more)

- what plants are ok to use IN the table

-was thinking of adding a square piece of sod in there, good idea or no?

what type of things to add to make life interesting. I am game for anything

Can I give fruit as a treat or interesting food item once in a great while..

thanks so much for making this forum!!!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hi Lisa, have you found the caresheets for you tort under Species Specific yet? That will help get you started and tell you about what food you should and shouldn't feed, substrate, temps and humidity etc Also have a look at the Enclosures thread for good ideas, and Beginner's Mistakes will help you avoid mistakes made by others. All will help you keep your tort happy and healthy and save you money on vets bills.

www.thetortoisetable.org.uk is great to help you see what plants are safe to feed. I keep a tray of grass in my torts enclosure for him to nibble on and plants like spider plants provide cover and are safe if nibbled.

I don't have a Hermanns but think fruit should, as you say, only be an occasional treat for torts and it is often recommended that only one tort is kept unless you can provide separate enclosures because they don't need company. However I am sure more experienced people than me will be along soon

There is always someone to offer help and advice - in good time - so ask as many questions as you need. Meanwhile welcome to you and your tort and if you have any pics we would all love to see them.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Lisa welcome to the TFO from AZ . Herrmanns rule ! I would say no to sod because they use a lot of fert . And pests sides on it .

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Welcome! Lots of plants and hides will make it interesting for your tortoise. I put my plants, pots and all, into the enclosure and my tortoise has a great time trying to knock them over and eat them down to the roots. I would also provide enough depth in your substrate for them to burrow in. 5+ inches I'd say.

Don't know about the sod, but I bet Grandpa Turtle is right and they spray or treat it with something. I think it would be better to just lay down some soil and plant some tortoise friendly seed mixes. I've used patches of sheet moss before but my tortoise needs a ton of humidity...plus I had to take it out since she found it fun to eat.

When looking for plants, I'd check out what plants would thrive in the environment you are providing with your table. So far I think spider plants, pothos, christmas cactus and sedge have worked the best for me.

Lisa Gove71

I have a tortie table, he is all set with substrate, food and such.. just need some answers to my questions..
YES.. i know plants.. but some plants are poisinous or just bad for the animal.. So, no one ca not just use any ol' plants.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I have a tortie table, he is all set with substrate, food and such.. just need some answers to my questions..
YES.. i know plants.. but some plants are poisinous or just bad for the animal.. So, no one ca not just use any ol' plants.

Lyn W posted this link: www.thetortoisetable.org.uk

Here is a direct link to the categories:

http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plants_19.asp

Please check it out, it will tell you what plants are safe and not safe for tortoises.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Lisa, and welcome to the Forum!

Like Grandpa said, the Hermanni don't really eat a lot of grass. They are more into the broad-leaf plants and weeds. If you want to dress up the habitat with sod, that's up to you, but don't plan on the tortoise eating much of it. And be darned sure that it hasn't been treated with systemic pesticides.

Lisa Gove71

I guess i have to exsplain myself as people are being stuck on the sod..
I want to provide an enriching envornment fir him.. I do not care if he eats it.. And yes i completely understand WHY it needs to be rid of pests. and other junk.. I am not a notive keeper of animals...lol

also, i am in the USA... Maine..

I do beielve he needs a friend as he has been kept with other animals of his species up until i brought him home...

Seems like i am explaining my post more than i am being helped.. Too bad.. I looked online for this info for a week until i found this forum!!!! With no results!!!!

thanks to everyone that has been helpful though!!!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi Lisa,
I can understand why you would think he needs a friend I was worried about mine being on its own but there are many very experienced tortoise keeps here who would tell you that torts are solitary animals and when you have 2 that often leads to one being more dominant therefore bullying and harassing the other which can be very stressful for them, although it might not be obvious and you may think they are just playing or cuddling.

If you do a search there are examples of injuries and even death caused by this. Torts also need lots of space so the more torts the more space you need so that's another thing to consider for your circumstances, but I'm sure you've already thought of that so apologies of stating the obvious.

Hermanns may be different - I have a leopard - but some things apply to all, wait to see what the experts have to say. Sometimes they say things we don't want to hear but it isn't personal they only have the best interests of the torts at heart and as a novice tortoise keeper myself I would prefer to learn from other peoples mistakes than make my own.

The Enclosures section will give you lots of ideas to make your enclosure interesting for the torts and if you post some pics of what you have at the moment it will give people a better idea of how to help.

Have a good day

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Instead of sod, grow your own grass. Seed the habitat. That's another way to make sure the substrate is sufficiently moist. You'll have to reseed endlessly, though. They burrow.

No fruit.

No companion. A pair is a recipe for disaster. The dynamics of a group is entirely different from a pair.

Spider plants & wandering jew are good in the habitat. Be prepared for them to get bulldozed. I had a rose of Sharon in mine until my crew got hungry enough to eat it. Try growing plants on a tray or in pots so you can change them out & give then time to recover. Try hosta and dandelions and plantain. If you're sacrificing floor space, the plant might as well do double duty and be edible as well as potentially providing shelter.

Sorry you don't feel you are being helped. We are first concerned about proper lights, temps, substrate and size. Enrichment is a often a matter of form following function.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Looks like you already getting all kinds help and answers so I just here to give a warm Welcome. Good to have you here! ! !

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I guess i have to exsplain myself as people are being stuck on the sod..
I want to provide an enriching envornment fir him.. I do not care if he eats it.. And yes i completely understand WHY it needs to be rid of pests. and other junk.. I am not a notive keeper of animals...lol

also, i am in the USA... Maine..

I do beielve he needs a friend as he has been kept with other animals of his species up until i brought him home...

Seems like i am explaining my post more than i am being helped.. Too bad.. I looked online for this info for a week until i found this forum!!!! With no results!!!!

thanks to everyone that has been helpful though!!!

We're not "stuck on the sod", Lisa, we're answering your question. Look back - you ASKED us about sod. You also said you were a first time tortoise owner, and we have no way of knowing if that means you've kept other reptiles or not.

Your tortoise doesn't need a friend. They are solitary animals and will fight to chase intruders out of their territory.

I'm sorry you thought we weren't helping you. I saw good answers to what type of plants to put in there. I saw good answers to your sod question. I saw good answers to the 'friend' comment.

You can add sight barriers so that he can't see his whole world. Any large rocks or knick knacks that interrupt the line of sight.

Fruit can be given as a rare treat only. They shouldn't have fruit on a regular basis.

There, now...I think all of your original questions have been tended to. Did I miss anything?

Lisa Gove71

Oh how funny...
The person i got mine from has SEVERAL species and they ALL live in groups.. So funny you all *think* they arent suppose to just one.. The one i have is used to living in a family group...

Please if you feel the need to argue, dont post. I UNFORUNTALY posted about sod.. I should have known better.. Almost regretting posting on the make yourself feel welcome page..

----------------------

Here, let me start over

I live on and island in maine USA and i currently have ONE herman dalmatian tortie.. I plan to get more as he has been in a group since he was hatched... I am looking into adding stuff to his table to be more enriching. I plan on adding some sort of sod, as i probably wont have an outdoor encloser this year... He is completely all set with substrate as well as food ( i get mazuri from his breeder) .... While i am some-what new to tortie keeping i have been a reptile keeper for a few years.. As well as mammals including cats and dogs.

Lisa Gove71

I currently have ONE Dalmatian Herman tortie (at least at the present moment.)

I found your site through facebook.

I am relitivly new to tortie keeping so please bare with me.. At the moment I don't have an outdoor enclosure area, so I want to make his table as interesting as I can..

Here, let me start over

I live on and island in maine USA and i currently have ONE herman dalmatian tortie.. I plan to get more as he has been in a group since he was hatched... I am looking into adding stuff to his table to be more enriching. I plan on adding some sort of sod, as i probably wont have an outdoor encloser this year... He is completely all set with substrate as well as food ( i get mazuri from his breeder) .... While i am some-what new to tortie keeping i have been a reptile keeper for a few years.. As well as mammals including cats and dogs.

Lisa Gove71

Can an admin just delete my post and i will start over... I do NOT take getting attacked lightly!!!! Specailly on my very first posting... Makes me look like an ignorant person! Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I certainly can move this whole thread to the "to be deleted" file, however, that would mean others would not be able to benefit from the GOOD answers that have shown up here. I'm sorry you feel we've attacked you. That is so far from what we've done. We have tortoises and turtles in mind when we make our replies. We don't mean to hurt your feelings or make you feel unwelcome, however we see some things that will cause stress for the tortoise and we have to speak out.

Just because you got tortoises from someone who doesn't really understand the whole solitary animal mystique doesn't mean that that person was keeping his animals correctly. Lot's of people keep more than one tortoise together. I, myself, do too. BUT my tortoises are all outside in very large yards. They have a whole lot of room to roam. Most of the folks we talk to here on the forum plan on keeping their new tortoise in an indoor habitat. This is NOT a good way to keep multiple tortoises together. It would be very stressful and one of them will probably end up being sick.

We are just trying to save you the vet bill and heartache. But go ahead and do what you want. I thought you were asking for our help.

Status
Not open for further replies.