new member doing research

Status
Not open for further replies.

missmoofi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Murcia, Spain
:tort: hello everyone, newbie here, Im tortie-less at the moment but hope to be re-homing 2 soon. I live in Spain in an area where they are wild, and lots of people find them in their gardens and dont want them....soooo Im waiting to adopt :D
I have 3 cats, one that is a serious hunter and eats 'al fresco' most days, one that just hangs in the garden chilling under the palms, and an old boy that snoozes the whole day in the house...so was wondering if and how kitties & torties lived together
I have a fairly big garden and intend that they live a near as natural life as possible, but we do have a pool, so thats a concern, I do have a garden area that has a two steps access up to the pool, so that be ok if they can climb up those....well thats enought questions to be going with at the moment, looking forward to my pending adoption and meeting you all :cool:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi missmoofi:

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know your name?

Some tortoises are able to float, but others sink like a stone. It would be best if you could fence off the pool area so the tortoise can't get near it.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
I would worry about the cats. Cats,birds,dogs and lots of other animals can kill a tortoise. Happens all the time:( I understand that you want to keep it natural but to keep the tort safe it needs and enclosure with a top made with wire. If you look at enclosures on TFO you will see that you can make them beautiful and natural and safe. Welcome to TFO :)

missmoofi

5 Year Member
Murcia, Spain
:tort: Hi my name is Annie - I do have a few friends that have torties and kitties reporting no troubles ?? but did wonder especially as I do have one kitty who is a naughty hunter boy, my hubby is planning to build a pen for shade and hibernation, so maybe that will be OK ? thanks guys :cool:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have a lot of cats, Annie. The only time they ever pay attention to the tortoises is when the baby box turtles hatch out of the ground. The bigger tortoises, with hard shells, are of no interest to the cats at all.

missmoofi

5 Year Member
Murcia, Spain
emysemys said:
I have a lot of cats, Annie. The only time they ever pay attention to the tortoises is when the baby box turtles hatch out of the ground. The bigger tortoises, with hard shells, are of no interest to the cats at all.

:tort: thanks :tort:

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
My neighbor has a cat that I don't trust. I say better safe than sorry.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Welcome
Glad to see you doing research first an ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure

missmoofi

5 Year Member
Murcia, Spain
Im back and have my new tortie, pics to follow when I sus how to add, I think she is a 'she' haha and I think she is a herman, so hopefully the pics will reveal all :)

oh hummm, help needed, how do I add a pic ?

I found the thread about posting photos and I see I need a photobucket account, which I dont want to do, any other way ??

Status
Not open for further replies.