hello from NY

kar

Location (City and/or State)
new york
hi everyone..
I am a proud new mommy of a russian tortoise named Franklin...I did look at some of the thread and although VERY helpful..I still have two questions...First-I have attached a pic of the light bulb am using and as you can see it is good for four different things...so is this enough?? and how long am I supposed to keep it on??...I live in a basement apt and have NO air conditioning..and what is this about soaking??? will franklin do this automatically??I have read ppl soak them so I guess I am still confused..am I supposed to do this???.....thank you in advance for bearing with me..I am sure this has been answered but I am a little computer ADD :)

13558916_317407271924186_7825199115613191113_o.jpg fran.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
Welcome to the Forum. If your tortoise is not getting around 5 hours of natural sunshine per week you need to have a UVB bulb. I use ZooMed PowerSun mercury vapor bulb 100 watt. I hang it from a ZooMed Large light stand so that it hangs straight vertically. You should soak your tortoise in warm water (baby warm) that comes up to the bottom edge of his shell. I have attached a link to a care sheet.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

You should change out your bulb for one that gives off UVB.

I put my indoor tortoises into a dishpan of warm water - babies daily, grown tortoises weekly - for about 15 minutes each time.

kar

new york
Welcome to the Forum. If your tortoise is not getting around 5 hours of natural sunshine per week you need to have a UVB bulb. I use ZooMed PowerSun mercury vapor bulb 100 watt. I hang it from a ZooMed Large light stand so that it hangs straight vertically. You should soak your tortoise in warm water (baby warm) that comes up to the bottom edge of his shell. I have attached a link to a care sheet.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

THANK YOU!!!!

kar

new york
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

You should change out your bulb for one that gives off UVB.

I put my indoor tortoises into a dishpan of warm water - babies daily, grown tortoises weekly - for about 15 minutes each time.

THANK YOU!!!!