Hello from NJ

Taco*mom

Oooww mannn.. I am sooo jealous. You said you just started and look at what you have. You have 3 years of my list of christmas-wish combined and come true already. 2 aldabra woww. And waittt I thought you said 2 sulcatas (1 of them being ivory). But on the picture you have 4 sulcatas? 2 of them being ivories?? By the way, warmest welcome to the forum. I am also new here.

Taco*mom

Looks like you have a lot of space to keep those torts outside when they grow up. Lucky torts and lucky you!

edwardbo

5 Year Member
Hey fellow northerner ,what are your plans for the winter ,and when they get big , and big they will get. Are you new to the turtle hobby ? Did you win the lottery ? That's an expensive bunch of turtles. Welcome and keep us posted.

Benito

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Jersey
Have large sheds outfitted with heat and electricity. So until they become full grown I should be ok. Then I need to rethink their housing. And no I am not a lottery winner. And yes I am new to the hobby but I have a few key people to go to if I ever have a issue I can't figure out myself. Thanks for the warm welcome

Benito

5 Year Member
New Jersey
20160805_112210.jpeg 20160805_112259.jpeg My leopards are so tiny. So they are in a modified planting station. With waterproof bottom and heat lamps. These guys have a reptisun 10 3ft bulb and ceramic emitter. Every one use Mercury Vapor bulbs. But I do need to make a bigger indoor enclosure for ivories since I now have 4 Sulcatas(3 ivories) not to worried since 3 are only 70 grams each. I do feed them mazuri,grass and greens daily In meat ball form.

Last edited:

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
These look great but I really would suggest making them into closed chambers.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Both and to keep them smooth to avoid pyramiding. Sulcata's and Leopards need to be kept warm and humid. It's very hard to achieve that with opened enclosures.

Benito

5 Year Member
New Jersey
Both and to keep them smooth to avoid pyramiding. Sulcata's and Leopards need to be kept warm and humid. It's very hard to achieve that with opened enclosures.
Ambient temp in that room is 80 a/c vent closed and heater keeps room 80. Everyone but one sulcata used the humid hide. He burrows under it and it's sprayed with mister daily. Plus they get daily soaks for 20 min. So far so good. That's why I didn't go with cherry heads. I know I would not be able to meet their humid requirements

Benito

5 Year Member
New Jersey
Only other option woukd be a humidifier. Room is always 80 all day and night and basking area is low 90's on timers for everyone

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I understand, hopefully that works. What kind of humidity do you get in the enclosures?

Benito

5 Year Member
New Jersey
I understand, hopefully that works. What kind of humidity do you get in the enclosures?
Humid hide is about 85. Room itself usully 55 and when they are outside during warm days I mist grass mid day when I can. Plus they all have terracotta saucers with fresh water. Winter will be more of an issue. So will invest in a humdifier. That mixed with 80 degree room temp should do it. Don't want to start covering enclosures with foam and plastic.