Hello from Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.

djraab

5 Year Member
Hello fellow tortoise lovers. I am new to tortoise care. I made a deal with my kids and got them our wonderful new friend Titus she is a Russian tortoise ( I know its a boys name but the kids picked the name and it just fits her ) so anyway the kids excitement has wore off but I am addicted. My wife even says Im obsessed. I have changed her enclosure like 3 times and just built my first table enclosure. It is 2' x 4' and 12" walls I have desert sand at One end and i dont remember the name but bought reptile bark from petsmart on the other end that is where her hide is. And the middle is filled with shagnum mulch. 100 watt uv light over the enclosure. I have read alot on this site I look forward to learning more. Any insight or advice would be great. Thanks

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. The sand is not the best substrate, can cause impaction. You can however, mix it with plain dirt or coconut coir, about 70% coir/dirt, 30% sand.
a bigger indoor enclosure would be nice also, a 2x6, 4x6 or larger, bigger always better. Also an outdoor enclosure for the nice summer days. Oh and btw, glad you joined our forum, now you can be with you own kind, addicted, obsessed and just plain crazy:D

ColorfulTortoise

5 Year Member
New England
Welcome..Sounds like your tortoise is happy in her home :)
I agree with Wellington about mixing the sand with another substrate. Shorty's indoor cage's substrate is coco coir. It isn't very expensive and holds moisture well.

djraab

5 Year Member
I have looked everywhere for the coconut coir I cant find it anywhere. Any suggestions where to get it at.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It is sold in pet stores as Bed-A-Beast. It is a compressed brick in a square shape that you have to re-hydrate.

djraab

5 Year Member
Thank u I will look for it tomorrow. Thank u all for all your knowledge and feedback.

DrewsLife727

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
Welcome! Coconut coir is the best to use not sand as stated earlier. I got mine at Petco if thats any help =]

djraab

5 Year Member
Desert sand is gone. Should I mix the coconut coir with anything else. My wife is just shaking her head at me. She says I spoil Titus more than the kids. Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.