Hello from Michigan!

Dammit Dahlgren

20150307_174507.jpg Hello! My name is Tricia and I have a Russian Tortoise named Weiand (my fellow gear-heads should understand the name). I got her 2 weeks ago from a pet store. I felt really bad for her in the way she was being kept every time I went into the store. I am very happy to say that she is now very active and appears to have come out of her "shell" (sorry for the bad pun)! Lol! Weiand is about 4 1/2", I don't know how old she is. Boy can this girl eat! And up until 2 days ago, I would of never thought to hear myself say that "I am thankful to see tortoise poo!" I have her in a 20 gal tank right now. This summer I am going to turn an old 12' X 12' sandbox into her outdoor enclosure.

I don't know much about tortoises. But I have learned a lot these past few weeks searching the internet. I am so thankful I came across this forum and am looking forward to all the expertise knowledge you all have to give!

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern California, bay area

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome.:) What part of Michigan? Im originally from the west side, Muskegon area. Be sure to make that warm water you add to the substrate to give your tortoise some humidity.

Dammit Dahlgren

Thank you for the warm welcome! She has a bowl of water in with her. The temp under her basking spot is 98*. I also have a light strip with a Tropical 25 UVB -T8 bulb in it.

Thank you for the info about wetting her substrate down because of what I read on other sites said not to. I have been giving her a "soak" every other day for 15-20 minutes. Should I continue to do this (more or less often)? Right after I got done posting my "introduction", I read Tom's care guide! Thank you all again!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Because she is not. Baby, you can cut back on the soakings, once a week is good, or you can keep doing what your doing. Keeping them hydrated never hurts, specially if you don't see her drinking.

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Thank you for the warm welcome! She has a bowl of water in with her. The temp under her basking spot is 98*. I also have a light strip with a Tropical 25 UVB -T8 bulb in it.

Thank you for the info about wetting her substrate down because of what I read on other sites said not to. I have been giving her a "soak" every other day for 15-20 minutes. Should I continue to do this (more or less often)? Right after I got done posting my "introduction", I read Tom's care guide! Thank you all again!
she only needs about 2 soaks a week. where did get her from?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
One more thing, a food dish that is low sided, like a plastic plate or I also use plastic dollar store frisbees will make it much easier for her to eat. The same with the water dish, make sure it's easy access, like a clay saucer.

Dammit Dahlgren

Hello and Welcome.:) What part of Michigan? Im originally from the west side, Muskegon area. Be sure to make that warm water you add to the substrate to give your tortoise some humidity.
I am Northeast of Flint. I am sure sick of the snow! Lol!

Dammit Dahlgren

One more thing, a food dish that is low sided, like a plastic plate or I also use plastic dollar store frisbees will make it much easier for her to eat. The same with the water dish, make sure it's easy access, like a clay saucer.
I had it on a plastic lid of a bowl, but she kept getting substrate all over it. That is why I switched to that bowl. Now that I have learned to keep her substrate moist, Im sure that will help greatly with it being scattered on her food. Thank you for your help!

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
I got her from a pet store where I buy my other pet supplies at. It always seems like no matter what time I went in there, she was in the same spot hiding. Now I would say she spends a good 3/4 of the time out of "shelter".
she is most likely wild caught so there is no way to tell her age

Dammit Dahlgren

when will you be able to put her outside? can you increase her inside enclosure?
I will be a few months until I can do that. What are the minimum outside temps that I would be able to do this? It usually starts getting warm in May. I will look into getting a bigger enclosure for her. I do let her run around my livingroom for awhile every day.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
when will you be able to put her outside? can you increase her inside enclosure?

They are in Michigan. They are usually colder and more snow then I am here in Chicago. With some luck, there may be a few days from now until May, for visits outside, otherwise with luck, outside perminent in May, most likely not till June.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I had it on a plastic lid of a bowl, but she kept getting substrate all over it. That is why I switched to that bowl. Now that I have learned to keep her substrate moist, Im sure that will help greatly with it being scattered on her food. Thank you for your help!

One thng that will help if you need it for keeping food dish clean of substrate, is to put a smaller plate on top of a larger one. Also, when you wet the substrate, pat it down.

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
I will be a few months until I can do that. What are the minimum outside temps that I would be able to do this? It usually starts getting warm in May. I will look into getting a bigger enclosure for her. I do let her run around my livingroom for awhile every day.
never let her loose in you house, there have been many tortoise deaths caused by this. she can easily eat a dust bunny or a paper clip. there was even a person who was on here that accidentally smashed there torts head by a door:(