Hello from KCMO

Camp

Hi I am going to getting my new Hermann tortoise about the middle of August. I am currently exploring indoor enclosure options. Does anyone have any plans complete with measurements? I wanted to be able to go to Lowe's or Home Depot with my measurements have them cut and me just assembly so I don't have to bother the hubby. Or any other suggestions would be helpful. I have ordered most of my supplies just need to work out the enclosure. My first thought was to house in small plastic pool until I can get enclosure built but i would have to have a top because I have a curious kitty. Thanks is advance!

johnandjade

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
scotland
hello from Scotland!
an easy solution is to knock out shelves from a bookcase and line with a shower curtain. if you do a search on here for enclosures you'll find some inspiration to pinch ideas from. welcome to the forum :)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
Our Enclosures Forum here has lots of good ideas.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

This is an example of a closed chamber, starting with a bookcase turned on its back, pond liner around the wood and building up.
There are also other ways to make a closed chamber.
I use this for hatchlings.
Welcome!

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland

Camp

Started construction yesterday with the help of my 16 year old son. Plans are to make it 4ftX6ft. This is our progress so far. I plan on painting & sealing this with Polyurethane and lining the inside with some kind of liner. How big should a humid hide be? My thoughts are to make it in a corner or go all the way across about 1 ft width with hinged top for my access. The rest of the enclosure will have a hinged wire top.
IMG_2706.JPG IMG_2705.JPG

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Camp

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Even if I configure a mesh wire top?

The issue is the environmental conditions you wish to provide. An open top allows the cold, dry room air to circulate into your tortoises enclosure. This makes you need to keep the substrate wetter and your bulbs hotter. Hotter bulbs make more evaporating which cools and dries everything out. It is a tenuously balanced vicious cycle. If you simply use a closed chamber you can very easily heat and humidify the contain air in your enclosure to whatever levels you wish. Super easy and uses less electricity too. The stability of it all will produce better growth and a healthier tortoise too. I have done it both ways for years and the difference is astounding.

It is unusual to find a 4" juvenile hermanni for sale. People most commonly sell hatchlings, or they sell unwanted adults. Growing juveniles, like what you are after are typically treasured pets and seldom sold. An adult can live just fine in an open table. A growing 4" tortoise will also do okay as long as the set up is done correctly. A baby will need higher humidity and more stability than what can be provided by an open table.

A mesh top will keep the kitty out, but it won't keep your warmth or humidity in.

Camp

The issue is the environmental conditions you wish to provide. An open top allows the cold, dry room air to circulate into your tortoises enclosure. This makes you need to keep the substrate wetter and your bulbs hotter. Hotter bulbs make more evaporating which cools and dries everything out. It is a tenuously balanced vicious cycle. If you simply use a closed chamber you can very easily heat and humidify the contain air in your enclosure to whatever levels you wish. Super easy and uses less electricity too. The stability of it all will produce better growth and a healthier tortoise too. I have done it both ways for years and the difference is astounding.

It is unusual to find a 4" juvenile hermanni for sale. People most commonly sell hatchlings, or they sell unwanted adults. Growing juveniles, like what you are after are typically treasured pets and seldom sold. An adult can live just fine in an open table. A growing 4" tortoise will also do okay as long as the set up is done correctly. A baby will need higher humidity and more stability than what can be provided by an open table.

A mesh top will keep the kitty out, but it won't keep your warmth or humidity in.

Camp

Before I do anymore construction I will find out what size tortoise will be available from the breeder ( I estimate I won't be ready until middle of August) and then finish the enclosure keeping all this in mind and doing a little more research. I have already ordered and gotten in my lights and etc. Enclosure is the last thing I need to nail down and finish.