Hello from Chicago area and soon to be Aldabra keeper

hmmca

Hi,

Excited to learn more about keep tortoise's!

When I was a kid and teen I recall going to Noah's Ark in Des Plaines and they had a Aldabra tortoise up front and I would spend my time there looking at him and petting him. This has led to a lifelong wanting of one of these tortoise's.

I live in a climate where I would have to figure out the best way to keep one, but I am getting ready to give it a go. I would like to get a little older of a one but will take a baby as well.

Thanks and look forward to learning

Greg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). Be sure you have enough space to provide a BIG heated indoor enclosure for winter. I live in Chicago, so I know the winters we do get. Not normally like this years though.:D. Also be prepared to spend $1600.00 to $2000.00 for a little one about 4 inches and more then that as they get larger. I think if you got the room and the funds, lots, it can be done. Good luck, don't forget to share pics when you find the one you want.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy!!! I hope you know what you're letting yourself in for. It would be beneficial for you to go visit the zoo. Call ahead and ask for an appointment to go behind the scene and see how they house the giant tortoises during the winter. You will need a very large, insulated and heated shed. Once they get over 200lbs (and it only takes about 10 years to reach that weight),there's no containing them in anything flimsy. If I don't open my Aldabrans' door before they're ready to come out, they open it themselves. Many's a lock and hasp that have been replaced on their shed door. I'm thinking the hinges are next.

Welcome to the Forum! We have a member here who lives in Florida and raises Aldabran tortoises. He has many pictures posted under his username - Aldabraman

hmmca

Thanks to all who have replied, I appreciate the encouragement! I do not enter anything lightly, I do the research, but I love the advice because I would rather have someone talk me out of it rather than talk me into it ( if that makes sense) I would enjoy to hear all the pros and cons in the endeavor.

Best Greg

skottip

10 Year Member!
Florida
I own them in S Florida and it is hard living down here. I would NEVER attempt to get an Aldabra living in Chicago unless you have a 1/2 acre heated basement. All kidding aside, I am going to post my 5 for sale. I have a nice size yard, live in S Florida in a warm climate and I am overwhelmed. They will literally eat 5 heads of romaine at once at only 16 inches.(one tortoise, not all of them)
I would love to tell you otherwise, but sometimes the truth hurts. I cant even think about picking my biggest one up and its only 7 or 8 years old, close to 30 inches and I am sure over 200 lbs. How do you intend on getting him in and out of the house when the weather warms up for 2 months up there? I wish you the best if you really take on this task. I admire people who raise and also breed tortoises living in cold climates. I don't think I would be up to the task.

Scott

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Glad your doing your home work. It's not that it can't be done. There are many sulcatas, I know, not quite as big, but still big, that live in the colder climates of Illinois, Michigan, Indian, etc. There are also a few Aldabras that did or still does live in some of these areas too. I would not count on feeding romaine as a diet, but have a large enough yard to feed a good diet of grazing when possible, hays and Mazuri tortoise diet. For those that don't know, Illinois has more then two warm months. Most years, around 6-7 months of tort safe temps. If you have lots of sun in your yard, you will get some fair winter days too. Will it be as easy as someone living in Florida, no. Can it be done and a happy life provided, I believe so. Again, if you have the room and the funds, oh and the want bad enough to put in the work. Take a look at the different threads in the Aldabra section, you will see some stuff that may help.

hmmca

Thanks Scott and Wellington.

This is something that I have thought about for a long time and i would not do it if i could not provide for its care for now and in later years. I do appreciate the advice and will take it as it is meant ( the best for the animal) I have thought of getting a smaller tortoise,but my heart is set on the Aldabra. And yes this winter has SUCKED here in good ole Illinois, but we usually get at least a little summer lol.

My plan for now is to build it a nice area inside for the first few winters ( and of course outside when it can be) and then when it is too large to go in and out, I have a almost 3 and a half car garage, that I will turn some into a indoor refuge that I can heat and give access to the yard.

Thanks and please keep the comments coming both yea and nea.

Greg

skottip

10 Year Member!
Florida
When I referred to Romaine, I just used it as a reference. Just to put things in perspective. Greg, my smallest ones are around 16 to 17 inches, I have 2 pushing 20 inches and one 28 to 30 inches...

:)

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome.

This is a great place to share and learn.

You got to show us some photo of your enclosure and tortoise, Of cause when you get it. Looking forward to hear from you.

Joshjarr96

I own them in S Florida and it is hard living down here. I would NEVER attempt to get an Aldabra living in Chicago unless you have a 1/2 acre heated basement. All kidding aside, I am going to post my 5 for sale. I have a nice size yard, live in S Florida in a warm climate and I am overwhelmed. They will literally eat 5 heads of romaine at once at only 16 inches.(one tortoise, not all of them)
I would love to tell you otherwise, but sometimes the truth hurts. I cant even think about picking my biggest one up and its only 7 or 8 years old, close to 30 inches and I am sure over 200 lbs. How do you intend on getting him in and out of the house when the weather warms up for 2 months up there? I wish you the best if you really take on this task. I admire people who raise and also breed tortoises living in cold climates. I don't think I would be up to the task.

Scott
are you looking to sell them?

Laura Currado

5 Year Member
Oakland County, MI
My husband saw them at a show here in SE Michigan & exclaimed he wanted one! My negative response was immediate! Didn't even breathe before "no" was out of my mouth!
They weren't 4-figures though; forgot how much but not that much.
We have a Sulcata & I worry about him. I love your idea of the garage; just reinforce the sides. I imagine they could wreak havoc on your drywall.
And I like the idea of visiting a zoo. I might do that! Our Detroit Zoo just put out their largish Sully and he's having a grand time alone in the huge enclosure....but anyone who thinks torts are slow or lazy have no clue!

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Welcome to tfo! An Aldabra in Chicago.. my my that is an ambitious goal indeed but a fantastic species!

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome. Looking forward to your pics.

ben awes

5 Year Member
Thanks Scott and Wellington.

This is something that I have thought about for a long time and i would not do it if i could not provide for its care for now and in later years. I do appreciate the advice and will take it as it is meant ( the best for the animal) I have thought of getting a smaller tortoise,but my heart is set on the Aldabra. And yes this winter has SUCKED here in good ole Illinois, but we usually get at least a little summer lol.

My plan for now is to build it a nice area inside for the first few winters ( and of course outside when it can be) and then when it is too large to go in and out, I have a almost 3 and a half car garage, that I will turn some into a indoor refuge that I can heat and give access to the yard.

Thanks and please keep the comments coming both yea and nea.

Greg

Hi Greg,

I'm trying to do it up here in St. Paul, MN. Winters are tough! I've had mine for 18 months and so far so good, but I do not have the outdoor heated enclosure figured out yet, except that I have to have one! Right now he's got about 70 sf. He's going to have a 20' x 20' heated basement room for sure and I literally have a plan to build a ramp out of my basement. My house is several feet about the ground to it's not a full level up that he has to go. Right now i am clicker training him. I have never given him a meal or a snack, ever, without using the clicker - the idea being that eventually he will know that the clicker sound means food. When I can't lift him he needs to come when I need him to come! Our local zoo clicker trained the two Galops they have and it works pretty slick for them. At our zoo they are indoors all winter. I don't know the size because they will not let me have a peak, but it can't be more than 20' x 20'. They are not allowed out. In the summer they are brought in every night because I don't think this zoo is fully secure. They are about 250lbs each and do come when they are called! That's my goal at least. I've got lots to still do because he's growing! The biggest issue for me is securing the yard. I live in the city and will need a more secure fence - but how tall is tall enough? I don't want to be a bad neighbor, but my tort has to be safe!

What's your timeline?

Best of luck - it's a thrill for sure!
Ben

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA