Oh, SO...you little escape artist, you!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I go outside first thing this a.m. to open doors, clean up poop and feed. The Aldabran yard is always last on the circuit. I get out there and the shed door is open. No big deal. If I'm a little late, they push it open. So I look inside and BO is still in there, but SO is out. I scan the yard..no SO. My heart jumps up into my throat. Surely no one could have stolen him. He's too big to pick up. The fence is all intact. But, wait...back there in the corner...the fence to the gulf coast box turtle yard is broken:

SO 3-2-15 a.jpg

(Notice how the dirt in front of the fence is all chewed up.)

I walk closer, and yup, sure enough, there he is. He sees me and, thinking I may have a meal, he starts coming back out:

SO 3-2-15 b.jpg SO 3-2-15 c.jpg
SO 3-2-15 d.jpg SO 3-2-15 e.jpg

The cinder blocks had been stacked up between the fence and the black tub to keep the box turtles in their yard. And just on the other side of the fence was a pine tree stump. It was in perfect condition, but now look how chewed up it is:

SO 3-2-15 f.jpg

You can see one of the box turtles on the right side of the picture wondering how that monster got in their yard. He's too scared to move.

I've added the broken board as a lip, but I'm afraid nothing short of an elephant fence is going to keep this escape artist inside:

SO 3-2-15 g.jpg

In the first picture you can see my white crane metal sculpture laying on the ground. He had been standing on the stump. I'm thinking SO was trying to get to that sculpture.

If he continues to 'worry' that part of the fence, I'll dig a couple post holes and set some 4x4's in cement in front of the fence.

When they widen the street and I have to move the Aldabs to the horse pasture, I'm going to have to invest in a pretty sturdy fence for that area.

Heather H

N.E. ohio
kids what will you do with them :) I think its a bit funny made me smile. I wish you were here I have a huge piece of slate that I bet he can't get through :)

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
At least he came back in. :) Poor turtles though. Lol. So makes me smile. They are just like big mischievous children.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Why does there always have to be at least one trouble maker? Well, at least you know which one is,yours. Poor Boxies, I bet they thought the night sky was falling.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Atleast he came back and you didn't have to try to help him back in to the enclosure.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
WOW! ! !

You never know what you will wake up with every morning with BO and SO! ! !

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
When they will widen the street in front of your house??

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When they will widen the street in front of your house??

It's still in the Engineering stage. I think the last word I had on it said something about 2016...so maybe next year.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
It's still in the Engineering stage. I think the last word I had on it said something about 2016...so maybe next year.
So you got sometime to think of how to build or move their shed and the enclosure..

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I already have a pasture fenced with no-climb wire. I will just have to reinforce it around the bottom so they can't see out. Then I'm going to build another shed inside the existing barn.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I already have a pasture fenced with no-climb wire. I will just have to reinforce it around the bottom so they can't see out. Then I'm going to build another shed inside the existing barn.
Let me know when that will happen! Maybe in late summer? We can have another work party?!?!?!??

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
See I told you I should've drove up there last weekend . Picked him up then right back to Texas to teach him to stay in his yard .

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Let me know when that will happen! Maybe in late summer? We can have another work party?!?!?!??

I'm trying to figure out how to use the existing pipe/wire fence to secure a solid redwood fence to. I want a 6' privacy fence across the front so the tortoises can't be seen from the street, then solid redwood up about 3' all around the rest of it to keep them off the wire. The existing pipe is in cement and will probably last a life time, but the wire can't stand up to SO the destroyer.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I'm trying to figure out how to use the existing pipe/wire fence to secure a solid redwood fence to. I want a 6' privacy fence across the front so the tortoises can't be seen from the street, then solid redwood up about 3' all around the rest of it to keep them off the wire. The existing pipe is in cement and will probably last a life time, but the wire can't stand up to SO the destroyer.
I just follow the order from the engineer. :D:D

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I know somebody who owns Buffalo. It takes one heck of a fence to keep them in, maybe they can give you some pointers :)