Hello and International Travel

dreamtortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
Hi! My name is Maggi, and I'm new. I'm totally falling for torts :) They're SO cute!!! I am moving to Japan shortly and thinking about buying a Russian there. Any advice on how to classify a healthy tort? I've been doing a ton of research on what to do when I move back, too. I will probably have my tort as a carry-on in the coach. There are no U.S. restrictions on bringing a tortoise back into the states, but I think I just need some kind of official form. The only thing I'm worried about if Japanese pet stores sell Russians!! Any experience is welcomed! Thanks!!

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Welcome! How long will you be in Japan? I went there a few months ago and ALMOST went to one of those reptile cafes...then decided against it. In one picture they were feeding a tortoise rice, and in another one the tortoises were walking all over the cold floor. I wouldn't be able to take it! Why would you feed a tortoise rice?!

Hate to say it but if you're only going to be there for about a year or two, I would wait until you get back to the states to get one. Flying is long and stressful. Sorry to be a downer on that.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
i'm afraid I rather agree with Crimson here.
Flying that sort of distance can't be good and tortoises are always stressed adjusting to a new home too.
He'd adjust to his home with you in Japan, and the bam! new home, more stress.
How long will you be in Japan?

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ. There was a article in the news were a father bought his child a water turtle . And when the child tryed to get through air port security the guard made him ( child ) through the turtle in the trash can . But a air port janitor picked up the turtle . And contacted the father and the father drove his car back to the janitor and picked up the turtle .ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1432170318.804457.jpg

Merrick

5 Year Member
South Florida
I would be wary of bring your tort back on plwne you mqy have to ship hm back but you would need cites1 at least

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Hello! Welcome!
I'm afraid I don't know much about international travel with torts, but I believe @juli11 does, so maybe he'll stop by.
I would imagine you could find one, but pet stores don't generally take very good care of their torts...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No airline will let you travel with any reptile in the passenger compartment.

International shipping of any animal requires a ton of paperwork both on the exporting end and the importing end. You will not be able to bring back your pet tortoises from another country.

I know this because I travel all over the world with animals for film. International shipping is a major ordeal and not fun.

Last edited by a moderator:

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
No airline will let you travel with any reptile in the passenger compartment.

International shipping of any animal requires a tone of paperwork both on the exporting end and the importing end. You will not be able to bring back your pet tortoises from another country.

I know this because I travel all over the world with animals for film. International shipping is a major ordeal and not fun.

Tom said it! Buy your tortoise when you're back in Virginia. The paperwork for international shipping is extremely stressful and not very necessary for one Russian tort.